Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm turning into John Feinstein

I think I now see where John Feinstein is coming from. Coming to Pitt, I knew who was coming to coach the football team: the same guy who ruined my Miami Dolphins. I never understood the logic of Wannstedt's hire, and three years later, I'm still trying to figure it out. Meanwhile, my outright hatred for Wannstedt continued to grow, and my distaste for Pitt's Yinzer fans increased, especially as I warned them in the beginning, and even at the start of this season. Of course, when I go to bars, I start to hear whispers of "fire the coach" from the older fans, but it's the younger fans and Internet commenters who seem to direct their outright vitriol toward me.

And this came to a head tonight in the Pitt/Wahoos game. As the game was on ESPNUnavailable, I had to go to a bar with DirecTV to watch the game. Lo and behold, Pitt students were there, and apparently, they don't appreciate talk during the game or, for that matter, my verbal bashing of Wannstedt. Some b*tch complained, I tried to talk myself down, other b*st*rds joined in, I was trying to raise my voice to tell people I was trying to shut up, and then the bouncer comes to kick me out. Of course, I wasn't drunk and didn't plan on drinking tonight (no less, b/c I hate the taste of beer), but that didn't matter. Even though I walked out on my own, I felt like I was dragged out on my *ss and stabbed in the back by the Yinzer faithful (notice how I'm using "Yinzer" as a derogatory term rather than a term of endearment? Maybe I should call them "jagoffs" instead). Going to a different bar in Squirrel Hill, I'm surrounded by the disillusioned like myself and older fans. At least THEY get it and were willing to talk about the game.

So now I see where Feinstein is coming from. He warned people, they didn't listen. Hell, I'm sure they even heaped vitriol onto him. And when he was proven right, he frolicked in the schadenfreude, just like I seem to be doing with Pitt football.
    Last edited by JDSBlueDevl; 09-30-2007 at 12:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JDSBlueDevl View Post
    I think I now see where John Feinstein is coming from. Coming to Pitt, I knew who was coming to coach the football team: the same guy who ruined my Miami Dolphins. I never understood the logic of Wannstedt's hire, and three years later, I'm still trying to figure it out. Meanwhile, my outright hatred for Wannstedt continued to grow, and my distaste for Pitt's Yinzer fans increased, especially as I warned them in the beginning, and even at the start of this season. Of course, when I go to bars, I start to hear whispers of "fire the coach" from the older fans, but it's the younger fans and Internet commenters who seem to direct their outright vitriol toward me.

And this came to a head tonight in the Pitt/Wahoos game. As the game was on ESPNUnavailable, I had to go to a bar with DirecTV to watch the game. Lo and behold, Pitt students were there, and apparently, they don't appreciate talk during the game or, for that matter, my verbal bashing of Wannstedt. Some b*tch complained, I tried to talk myself down, other b*st*rds joined in, I was trying to raise my voice to tell people I was trying to shut up, and then the bouncer comes to kick me out. Of course, I wasn't drunk and didn't plan on drinking tonight (no less, b/c I hate the taste of beer), but that didn't matter. Even though I walked out on my own, I felt like I was dragged out on my *ss and stabbed in the back by the Yinzer faithful (notice how I'm using "Yinzer" as a derogatory term rather than a term of endearment? Maybe I should call them "jagoffs" instead). Going to a different bar in Squirrel Hill, I'm surrounded by the disillusioned like myself and older fans. At least THEY get it and were willing to talk about the game.

So now I see where Feinstein is coming from. He warned people, they didn't listen. Hell, I'm sure they even heaped vitriol onto him. And when he was proven right, he frolicked in the schadenfreude, just like I seem to be doing with Pitt football.
    May God save your soul.

You were yelling at people that you were trying to be quiet? What?

Quote Originally Posted by JDSBlueDevl View Post

I agree with you on Wannstadt. He's pitiful. Worse than pitiful. He's The Pitifullest coach I've ever seen. But being from WVU, I find it hilarious. Sorry, dude. And beer helps. I drank enough of it this past Friday night.

At least, maybe we can agree that the Steelers are looking pretty tough this year.
    ~rthomas

I must have missed something re Feinstein. What did he say about Pitt football?

What I was saying was how easy it is to hate your alma mater. It's the sequence of coach, idiot fans, then team. And unfortunately Pitt has a lot of idiot fans.

And I probably should have mentioned that I have a slight communication disorder.
    Last edited by JDSBlueDevl; 09-30-2007 at 03:47 PM.

the fans were simply pointing out that you were being a negative fan, which doesn't help anybody. Poor performance is no excuse for John F's negativity, nor for yours. If you're that disillusioned, just don't watch, they don't need you, just like Duke doesn't need fans who are going to be negative nancies.

A small dose of skepticism sometimes helps. A group of pollyannas pretending nothing is wrong doesn't do any good either.

At one time, I would have been elated at being compared to John Feinstein. Not anymore. I certainly wouldn't make that comparison about myself.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    A group of pollyannas pretending nothing is wrong doesn't do any good either.
    If ever there was a pregnant comment made around here, that's it.

Feinstein

I've enjoyed Feinstein through the years and he is probably right-on regarding the administration at Duke. However, in the public forum in which he resides, many of his comments are unnecesary and appear bitter. I suspect he resents that no one at Duke has listened to him (however correct he may have been) and that has further corrupted his view of the school

Quote Originally Posted by firealleva View Post
    I've enjoyed Feinstein through the years and he is probably right-on regarding the administration at Duke. However, in the public forum in which he resides, many of his comments are unnecesary and appear bitter. I suspect he resents that no one at Duke has listened to him (however correct he may have been) and that has further corrupted his view of the school
    Feinstein has been jaded on Duke for a number of years.

Quote Originally Posted by firealleva View Post
    Which was my point to begin with. Doesn't help that the idiot fans are an extension of the administration.

I really can't stand JF any more.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but after San Diego's 1-3 start it occurs to me to ask: When are the Dallas Cowboy coordinators from 1992 finally going to run out of credit for that season? Wannstedt, the defensive coordinator, has proved beyond all doubt that he's not a head coach at any level. Norv Turner, the offensive coordinator, is now on his third NFL head coaching position, despite having thoroughly demonstrated that his range runs from mediocre to absolute disaster. You don't have to listen to the guy talk but once to know he has no chance of motivating players.

I wish I could disagree, because there's a lot to like in Norv. (And, actually, his teams in Washington were no worse than they have been under Gibbs 2.) But Norv's record speaks for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    But being from WVU, I find it hilarious. Sorry, dude. And beer helps.

Yeah, WTH happened.

South Florida over West Virginia is one more thing that complicates my view of Auburn. Auburn loses to South Florida and Mississippi State at home, and then turns around and wins at Florida. USF is looking better all the time.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Yeah, WTH happened.

South Florida over West Virginia is one more thing that complicates my view of Auburn. Auburn loses to South Florida and Mississippi State at home, and then turns around and wins at Florida. USF is looking better all the time.
    USF is a good team. period.
    ~rthomas

There were so many turnovers in that game!

USF is looking like a national title contender.