Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Army vs Navy

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Good point.

Basketball on a carrier is for wimps. FOOTBALL on a carrier, well -- that takes a special kind of tough.
    Funny you mention that.

There is a scene in the last Victory at Sea episode that shows the ships and veterans returning after the end of WWII and shows a football game on the deck of an Essex class carrier.

They had plenty of length for a football field (something line 270 yards), but were a bit narrow for a regulation field (31 yards wide).

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Funny you mention that.

There is a scene in the last Victory at Sea episode that shows the ships and veterans returning after the end of WWII and shows a football game on the deck of an Essex class carrier.

They had plenty of length for a football field (something line 270 yards), but were a bit narrow for a regulation field (31 yards wide).
    Well, you won't need instant replay to see if the runner was in or out of bounds.

Funny you mention that.

A football game on an air craft carrier would be awesome! My father was on the USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70). That's my only real connection with the Navy. A few years ago I took a trip with him to see it in Norfolk, it was his first time seeing it in person for 25 years. Needless to say he got a bit misty eyed as we sailed by it
    Last edited by mattman91; 12-14-2015 at 07:16 PM.

Found the clip of the guys playing football on a carrier -- just a brief look at the 16:06 mark (they spend more time on the tug-of-war):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=829u1NDMRfE

Found the clip of the guys playing football on a carrier -- just a brief look at the 16:06 mark (they spend more time on the tug-of-war):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=829u1NDMRfE
    They spent more time with the nose-potato roll than with football.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    My father was on the USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70).
    Your father and I have a connection as I served on the USS Carl Vinson from January 1998 until February 2001 in Bremerton, WA. Carl Vinson is currently home ported in San Diego.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Your father and I have a connection as I served on the USS Carl Vinson from January 1998 until February 2001 in Bremerton, WA. Carl Vinson is currently home ported in San Diego.
    That's pretty cool. He served in the 80s and loved every minute. spent a little time in San Francisco, but mostly San Diego. A few years ago they had it in Norfolk and dad couldn't pass the opportunity to see her while she was so close