About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

The Voice and Jordan Smith

My wife and I have watched The Voice for most of its run. The banter between the judges is fun (especially Adam Levine and Blake Shelton) and some of the contestants are really, really good, too. But this season, they have a really unique talent - Jordan Smith. Every performance of his has been spectacular. He's the perfect Voice contestant, as he looks like a complete schlub that would be booed off stage before he could even begin singing at a normal talent show, but given the "blind" nature of The Voice auditions, he got the chance to wow everyone with his voice.

His version of Queen's "Somebody to Love"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQao9OnpmLU

has been blowing up the Internet this week. It was certainly his most spectacular performance of his run so far, but check out his version of "Hallelujah"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yorVD7blSY8

or Adele's "Set Fire to the Rain"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCzkD-vu84g

or "Great is Thy Faithfulness"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm-KsLytcW0
    Last edited by JBDuke; 12-12-2015 at 10:37 PM. Reason: typo
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

I've never watched the show but man alive! That was pure banging!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

This season of The Voice has been a ton of fun to watch. I agree that Jordan is amazing, but we have enjoyed almost all of the remaining singers (except Brett).

ramdevil

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    My wife and I have watched The Voice for most of its run. The banter between the judges is fun (especially Adam Levine and Blake Shelton) and some of the contestants are really, really good, too. But this season, they have a really unique talent - Jordan Smith. Every performance of his has been spectacular. He's the perfect Voice contestant, as he looks like a complete schlub that would be booed off stage before he could even begin singing at a normal talent show, but given the "blind" nature of The Voice auditions, he got the chance to wow everyone with his voice
    You nailed it...and turned out to be prescient.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    He's the perfect Voice contestant, as he looks like a complete schlub that would be booed off stage before he could even begin singing at a normal talent show, but given the "blind" nature of The Voice auditions, he got the chance to wow everyone with his voice.
    GF and I DVR it every week, and watch Monday's shows over Tues/Wed and then Tues on Thursday. This week was murder avoiding the spoilers, but the most deserving voice won it. Emily will be a star, guaranteed, but Jordan was amazing throughout. If you remember, he was the one that the home viewing audience was given the "blind" experience for, as nobody saw him until the chairs started turning. I told Julie at the time, "It's Gru!". Every show since, she's said over and over "he needs to do opera". He totally earned the victory. Good job on making the right call, America.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Just to add one more amazing performance, Jordan's song for the finale was "Climb E'vry Mountain" from "The Sound of Music." Those of you that know this song well will know it's a real challenge, because it requires so much range, and some of the long notes are on vowels that can be tough to hold. (Rogers and Hammerstein did their singers no favors with that one.) If done well, it's an incredible song. Done poorly, it's a disaster. And Jordan nails it, albeit with a few nuances that wouldn't have worked in a musical version. Still, an excellent job with a really tough song, and one with a message that fit both him and The Voice well. Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L29P59uoQwM
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”