Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golden Globes!

Golden Globes!

Golden Globe noms are out!

So, I love that the Golden Globes manage to honor more films by breaking them down into the Comedy/Musical and Drama categories. But on what planet do you put The Martian in the Comedy category?!?!? I think this was merely done to give more room to one of the dramas. Perhaps, this is how they were able to include the super-deserving Mad Max:Fury Road in the finalists, but it still strikes me a very strange. That movie just was not a comedy.

Best Motion Picture, Drama
    Carol
    Mad Max: Fury Road
    The Revenant
    Room
    Spotlight

Best Motion Picture, Comedy
    The Big Short
    Joy
    The Martian
    Spy
    Trainwreck

A couple nominations I was thrilled to see:
    Alicia Vikander got a Best Supporting Actress nom for Ex Machina. Yay! She has become a huge star thanks to that movie and The Danish Girl (for which she was nominated for Best Actress in a Drama). Could she pull off the seemingly impossible double and win 2 acting awards in the same year?!?! Not likely because Brie Larson (Room) and Jennifer Jason-Leigh (Hateful) are very likely to win in her two categories (if not JJL, it will be Kate Winslet for Steve Jobs), but it is still nice to see Ex Machina get the praise it deserves.

George Miller got a Best Director nod for Mad Max, which delights me. Director is a nightmare of a category this year. Tarantino didn't make the cut and I suspect Ron Howard's gorgeous work in Heart of the Sea wasn't even in the conversation. That said, the guy I was most disappointed in not making it was Lenny Abrahamson for Room.

Stallone got his Best Supporting Actor nomination and I suspect he is going to win. I think Matt Damon is almost a lock for Best Actor in a Comedy, but watch out for Steve Carell from The Big Short. He was great in that film expressing the disgust and anger at the big bank system.

In both Best Actress/Drama and Best Actor/Comedy we have the same film competing against itself. Christian Bale and Steve Carell from The Big Short and Cate Blanchet and Rooney Mara for Carol. Pretty unusual in those categories. It happens in the supporting category more than in the lead actor/actress category.

-Jason "this has been a truly great year for movies, in my opinion. I am smiling looking at all the deserving folks on the Golden Globe list" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Best Motion Picture, Comedy

The Martian
    The Martian is a comedy?

Edit...just after posting, I found this. (Which IS truly funny.)

What was the funniest movie you saw in 2015? Oh, it was that hilarious movie about the astronaut who gets left behind on Mars by himself and struggles to survive almost every day.
    http://www.slashfilm.com/wtf-the-mar...globes-comedy/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

But on what planet do you put The Martian in the Comedy category?!?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The Martian is a comedy?

My mom just said the same thing.

I wondered how The Big Short is also considered a comedy. Jason, have you seen The Big Short yet?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    But on what planet do you put The Martian in the Comedy category?!?!? That movie just was not a comedy.
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The Martian is a comedy?
    That's what I get for posting without coffee. Totally missed JE's reference to this bizarre entry.
    I also missed this...
    Brie Larson (Room) and Jennifer Jason-Leigh (Hateful) are very likely to win in her two categories (if not JJL, it will be Kate Winslet for Steve Jobs), but it is still nice to see Ex Machina get the praise it deserves.
    I would love to see her win. She's always seemed to be an under the radar actress, getting the parts and doing well, but always on the "B-list". "Oh yeah, I remember her from Fast Times and that other movie..."
    Looking at her Wiki, there are nominations after nominations, yet no awards. Those noms include an off-Broadway show, which shows she can actually act. (I take film actors with a grain of salt...if you get 100 takes, you are bound to do one of them well.)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_Jason_Leigh
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I agree that the definition of comedy seems a but confused, but there is a classical definition that says that comedy is any work in which good triumphs over evil or adversity.

Of course, that definition covers just about any movie or book or play with a happy ending -- no matter how horrible the path to the final triumph. That could describe a somber film such as Kurosawa's Ikiru or On the Waterfront or any of the Terminator movies or The Searchers. I haven't seen the Martain. Does it end happily?

In practical terms, I can see the difficulty in dividing movies into drama and comedy. Some of the greatest films I know don't fit in either category ... or veer back and forth over the line (such as Sullivan's Travels). Is Fargo drama or comedy? Rules of the Game? What about Life is Beautiful? Red Beard? Give me time and I'll give you a dozen more.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I agree that the definition of comedy seems a but confused, but there is a classical definition that says that comedy is any work in which good triumphs over evil or adversity.

Of course, that definition covers just about any movie or book or play with a happy ending -- no matter how horrible the path to the final triumph. That could describe a somber film such as Kurosawa's Ikiru or On the Waterfront or any of the Terminator movies or The Searchers. I haven't seen the Martain. Does it end happily?

In practical terms, I can see the difficulty in dividing movies into drama and comedy. Some of the greatest films I know don't fit in either category ... or veer back and forth over the line (such as Sullivan's Travels). Is Fargo drama or comedy? Rules of the Game? What about Life is Beautiful? Red Beard? Give me time and I'll give you a dozen more.
    Princess Bride is a classic hors catégorie flick. As for The Martian, though, there is no way to say it is primarily a comedy. At best, small humor points are used to break tension and give the main character a vehicle to bond the audience to him.

The Terminator films - actually a lot of Schwartzeneger (sp?) films - are funny. Favorite line from Commando - "I let him go."

Since I haven't seen any of the movies or most of the shows that were nominated, I have nothing to add on topic. Apparently, I need to get out more.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71, esq View Post
    I wondered how The Big Short is also considered a comedy. Jason, have you seen The Big Short yet?
    I saw The Big Short about 10 days ago, it certainly has some comedy in it. It is not all that different, from a tone standpoint, from something like Moneyball (which was also based on a book by Michael Lewis). It was directed by Adam McKay, who is best known for writing and directing Will Farrell in Anchorman, Taladega Nights, The Other Guys... nothing but comedies. I would classify it as a comedy about a serious subject. It is not slapstick nor does it include a lot of laugh out loud moments, but it decidedly had a comedic tone.

I thought The Big Short was a good movie, but not a great one. It is not very accessible to mass audiences. Though it takes great pains to try to explain some of the esoteric financial stuff going on (and does so in hilarious fashion, like having the gorgeous Margot Robbie explain one complicated financial transaction while sipping champagne in a bathtub), it largely fails to make it clear why things are happening, what it all means, and how various characters benefited or suffered as a result. My wife, who has an MBA and worked on Wall Street in finance back in the 90s, was utterly lost at times and kept on asking me to explain how it all worked... like I had a clue?!?! In the end, the audience spends so much time being at least a little confused about why everything is happening that we never really enjoy seeing it play out on film.

Still, well acted with lots of amusing, quirky characters. I commend them for at least trying to make us aware of what was going on. But, I doubt The Big Short becomes much of a player in the Oscar race or at the boxoffice (I'll be shocked if it makes $100 mil). It may do well in the Golden Globes, though I suspect the inclusion of The Martian in the comedy category probably just cut off The Big Short from winning some Globes.

-Jason "I have not seen it, but heard from critic friends that Joy is nothing special -- David O Russell's streak of great films ends at 3" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

-Jason "I have not seen it, but heard from critic friends that Joy is nothing special -- David O Russell's streak of great films ends at 3" Evans
    So I guess you aren't counting Accidental Love?

I thought The Big Short was a good movie, but not a great one. It is not very accessible to mass audiences. Though it takes great pains to try to explain some of the esoteric financial stuff going on (and does so in hilarious fashion, like having the gorgeous Margot Robbie explain one complicated financial transaction while sipping champagne in a bathtub), it largely fails to make it clear why things are happening, what it all means, and how various characters benefited or suffered as a result. My wife, who has an MBA and worked on Wall Street in finance back in the 90s, was utterly lost at times and kept on asking me to explain how it all worked... like I had a clue?!?! In the end, the audience spends so much time being at least a little confused about why everything is happening that we never really enjoy seeing it play out on film.
    It will be interesting to see audience/critic reaction. I listened to a review this morning on NPR; Kenneth Turan loved it, so much to the point that he said you should see it twice. Here's his full critique.

'Big Short' Is A Funny Movie About 2008's Housing Market Collapse

PS...I know I won't see it in theaters, and will doubtfully watch it on tv. Financials, no matter how well and interestingly presented, glaze me over in 2 seconds.

Golden Globe noms are out!

So, I love that the Golden Globes manage to honor more films by breaking them down into the Comedy/Musical and Drama categories. But on what planet do you put The Martian in the Comedy category?!?!?

-Jason "this has been a truly great year for movies, in my opinion. I am smiling looking at all the deserving folks on the Golden Globe list" Evans
    What planet? Why Mars of course. Not a single Martian considered it anything but a farce.

With such an obvious setup, I just had to.

So I guess you aren't counting Accidental Love?
    Well, seeing as he has had nothing to do with that film since he left the project in 2008 (and he had no involvement in the editing of the film) I hardly consider it part of his canon. What's more, his win streak (The Fighter, Silver Linings, American Hustle) were all made after he left Accidental Love (which was called Nailed when he was working on it).

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    What planet? Why Mars of course. Not a single Martian considered it anything but a farce.

With such an obvious setup, I just had to.

And here I've been all these years, thinking that Uranus is the funniest planet.

(Sorry, probably about time for me to self-ban again for some time . . . .)

Well, seeing as he has had nothing to do with that film since he left the project in 2008 (and he had no involvement in the editing of the film) I hardly consider it part of his canon. What's more, his win streak (The Fighter, Silver Linings, American Hustle) were all made after he left Accidental Love (which was called Nailed when he was working on it).
    Actually, my understanding is that he ducked out on the project -- which he co-wrorte and originally produced and directed -- in 2011. It started in 2008. It was released earlier this year.

I know he's tried to distance himself from it -- even insisting on a fake name fir a directing credit.

Actually, my understanding is that he ducked out on the project -- which he co-wrorte and originally produced and directed -- in 2011. It started in 2008. It was released earlier this year.

I know he's tried to distance himself from it -- even insisting on a fake name fir a directing credit.
    He was directing the shoot of the movie in 2008 but there were financing problems and the shoot kept on being interrupted and shut down. Cast and crew would often go weeks or months without getting paid. The entire thing shuttered before the shooting had finished. Then, in 2010 a new financier tried to get it going again and Russell decided he had enough so he formally pulled out of the picture. The movie still had not gone into edit. It languished in bankruptcy for a couple more years before getting picked up about a year ago. The new producer was the person who oversaw editing. Russell did what any director would and said his name should not be attached to the film. I don't know why they credit the direction to the fictional "Stephen Greene" instead of "Alan Smithee."

In any event, I don't get the feeling this is the case of a director abandoning a project because he knows it sucks. Instead, I think it is a film that just never got the proper financing and was doomed from the start because of that.

-Jason "why are we talking about one of the worst movies of the year in a thread about the best? Ha!" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    The Terminator films - actually a lot of Schwartzeneger (sp?) films - are funny. Favorite line from Commando - "I let him go."

Since I haven't seen any of the movies or most of the shows that were nominated, I have nothing to add on topic. Apparently, I need to get out more.
    In The Terminator, Sarah and Reese consummate their love and the film ends in Reese's death. Similar to Romeo and Juliet, the film is a tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Princess Bride is a classic hors catégorie flick.
    As it ends in marriage, it's a comedy.

Long established literary definitions:
    Comedy ends in marriage
    Tragedy ends in death.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    In The Terminator, Sarah and Reese consummate their love and the film ends in Reese's death. Similar to Romeo and Juliet, the film is a tragedy.

As it ends in marriage, it's a comedy.

Long established literary definitions:
    Comedy ends in marriage
    Tragedy ends in death.
    Marriage ends in tragedy
    Dying is easy, comedy is hard

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    And here I've been all these years, thinking that Uranus is the funniest planet.

(Sorry, probably about time for me to self-ban again for some time . . . .)
    I may be right in there with you. The thread title first triggered my mind toward thoughts of Kate Upton.

I need a ruling. That broadcast of the Golden Globes last night: tragedy or comedy?

ricky gervais was incredible...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese