Fake FEDEX and UPS drivers.

Apparently, ISIS is supposedly delivering packages by couriers dressed as us (Fedex) and UPS.
    This rumor got started a few years ago at Christmas, and makes the rounds every year.
    To begin with, we carry identification, and are happy to produce it, so ask if you don't know the driver.
    This time of year, we have lots of temporary help, and some of these drive rental vans, and I believe that's what gives folks the idea these people may have mischief on their minds.
    The biggest problem we have are what we call "Porch Pirates", thieves that steal packages from in front of people's doors. We can and do leave packages that are not signature required, if we had to get every package signed for we'd never get done.
    One thing we do is leave packages at garages. Most people with a garage enter through there, and it seems to cut down on theft.
    Christmas is not a very happy time for us, we work 6 days a week, sometimes ten or twelve hours a day to be sure you get your packages.
    I am glad to say this will be my last one after 26 years on the job, going to retire in August. The E Commerce is beating me down, and has shown me that this is a young man's gig now, lol.
    I will say, however, that I have enjoyed it for the most part. Met lots of nice folks, and some famous ones too!
    But my wife says it's time to look forward to Christmas, instead of dreading it (she's a Christmas nut, lol), so I am going to leave it for a man better equipped to handle it.
    But as for the rumor, that's all it is. Baloney...Merry Christmas!

If they drive slowly, I'd be suspicious. (our local drivers a nice guys who feel the corporate pressure to drive at Mach .8 most of the time).

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    If they drive slowly, I'd be suspicious. (our local drivers a nice guys who feel the corporate pressure to drive at Mach .8 most of the time).
    Do we still have an off-topic forum?

Yeah, we got one. Just saw it. Hope my error will be forgiven.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Yeah, we got one. Just saw it. Hope my error will be forgiven.
    No prob, the mods will likely move this over there. And the OTB is where the real action is, anyways.

Unless you have strong opinions about Woodrow Wilson, of course -- then prepare for battle.

Thanks for the info.

Apparently, ISIS is supposedly delivering packages by couriers dressed as us (Fedex) and UPS.
    This rumor got started a few years ago at Christmas, and makes the rounds every year.
    To begin with, we carry identification, and are happy to produce it, so ask if you don't know the driver.
    This time of year, we have lots of temporary help, and some of these drive rental vans, and I believe that's what gives folks the idea these people may have mischief on their minds.
    The biggest problem we have are what we call "Porch Pirates", thieves that steal packages from in front of people's doors. We can and do leave packages that are not signature required, if we had to get every package signed for we'd never get done.
    One thing we do is leave packages at garages. Most people with a garage enter through there, and it seems to cut down on theft.
    Christmas is not a very happy time for us, we work 6 days a week, sometimes ten or twelve hours a day to be sure you get your packages.
    I am glad to say this will be my last one after 26 years on the job, going to retire in August. The E Commerce is beating me down, and has shown me that this is a young man's gig now, lol.
    I will say, however, that I have enjoyed it for the most part. Met lots of nice folks, and some famous ones too!
    But my wife says it's time to look forward to Christmas, instead of dreading it (she's a Christmas nut, lol), so I am going to leave it for a man better equipped to handle it.
    But as for the rumor, that's all it is. Baloney...Merry Christmas!
    Hey man!

Thanks so much for your hard work and service to Christmas. I know that job ain't easy, but know that you do not go unappreciated.

Congratulations on your retirement!

Thanks. I realize most folks appreciate what we do, and many give us stuff (cake and cookies!). Today I ran 93 stops, dropped the last one off at 13:45. Hit my first one at 09:06, so I was smoking rolling today, lol. Had a lady give me a dozen homemade Christmas cookies. When I got home, there were four left..lol

Thanks. I realize most folks appreciate what we do, and many give us stuff (cake and cookies!). Today I ran 93 stops, dropped the last one off at 13:45. Hit my first one at 09:06, so I was smoking rolling today, lol. Had a lady give me a dozen homemade Christmas cookies. When I got home, there were four left..lol
    Devilwin - One question I've always had - do you make your own route or is it drawn up ahead of time for you, maximizing your efficiency?
    "There can BE only one."

The computer does what we call a "turn by turn" map. Whether we adhere to it is up to us. It's usually pretty accurate. But, I, for example, sometimes break route and deliver some stuff I am close to rather than doing them later on. Something else I do is call customers that have signature required packages coming, let them know about what time I will be in the area.

The computer does what we call a "turn by turn" map. Whether we adhere to it is up to us. It's usually pretty accurate. But, I, for example, sometimes break route and deliver some stuff I am close to rather than doing them later on. Something else I do is call customers that have signature required packages coming, let them know about what time I will be in the area.
    Wish my Fedex driver did this. I missed a very important package 3 days straight.

He kept trying to deliver a "sign by owner only" package at 11:00 am every morning. I signed the ticket that releases permission to leave the package, but they couldn't accept it on this package at the request of the sender.

To add insult to injury, the customer service rep said they would try to deliver it one more time which was not true so I had to wait yet another day to drive 35 miles to the Fedex substation to pick it up.

In all my experience, UPS is always > Fedex.

Congrats on your retirement from the "good" delivery guys.

I'm curious...

what part of the special instructions, DO NOT DELIVER BEFORE 11AM seem to be misconstrued?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Wish my Fedex driver did this. I missed a very important package 3 days straight.

He kept trying to deliver a "sign by owner only" package at 11:00 am every morning. I signed the ticket that releases permission to leave the package, but they couldn't accept it on this package at the request of the sender.

To add insult to injury, the customer service rep said they would try to deliver it one more time which was not true so I had to wait yet another day to drive 35 miles to the Fedex substation to pick it up.

In all my experience, UPS is always > Fedex.

Congrats on your retirement from the "good" delivery guys.
    Sorry you had issues, but if the shipper asks for what we call a "Direct Signature", we cannot leave it with a signed note or door tag. Only "Indirect Signature" packages can be handled like that. And, we only make three attempts, as does UPS. In some circumstances, such as customers being out of town, we may try a fourth time. But we can't, normally.
    In our defense, let me relate what happened to me the last two days. I had two signature required packages, one Direct, one Indirect. Neither was home yesterday.
    I tagged both doors and left my cell# on the tags.
    Customer one, the Indirect, did not sign the tag for me to leave her package today, but it was gone, so I figure she got it. The customer with the Direct signature (an over sized amp) called me back while I was still in town yesterday, said she had to leave in 30 minutes and would I please try to come back in that time frame.
    Ten minutes later I was at her door, only to find a note saying she had left and would TRY to be home today...She wasn't home, so now I have her package and the other one a third time. This time of year, we do not have time for this.
    And, we have our detractors, that have had bad experiences, but so does UPS. Last year at Christmas, Fedex's on time percentage was 94%, UPS, 89%.
    To end, one more thing..
    Today I came to a home that had no covered porch, and it had just started to rain. I grabbed a plastic bag we carry and took the package to the porch.
    On the porch were three UPS packages, uncovered, sitting in the rain. I went back to my van, grabbed three more bags, and bagged the UPS packages for the lady.
    As I was pulling off, the lady came home. I told her what I had done, she thanked me profusely, and said UPS had never bagged her stuff, and she had a wedding dress ruined last year. Kinda made me proud, I must admit. But, like most of our guys, most of there's do their jobs in a proficient manner.
    This time of year is very hard on both of us, but we take pride in making Christmas good for the kids, especially. When I have a package that is obviously a toy, I will leave it in the van if they are home til they distract the kids. If they are not home, and it's not a sig required, got to leave it..lol

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    I'm curious...

what part of the special instructions, DO NOT DELIVER BEFORE 11AM seem to be misconstrued?
    If there was a notation on the package saying not to to deliver before 11, he should have waited. But you have to remember, these routes are set each day, and if he is really heavy with freight, he may not have time to divert to that location. If it had been me, I would have called her early on and set something up, for her convenience, and mine.
    Also, time sensitive stuff, like appointments and what not, cost more, and are alerted in our system.

not really an appointment...my business doesn't open until 11. Hours are posted beside the door, yet, whenever i tell shippers (and they comply) to put that phrase in the special instructions, i still find the little "missed delivery" note for my important package on the door....usually marked "tried to deliver at 8AM"
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    not really an appointment...my business doesn't open until 11. Hours are posted beside the door, yet, whenever i tell shippers (and they comply) to put that phrase in the special instructions, i still find the little "missed delivery" note for my important package on the door...usually marked "tried to deliver at 8AM"
    If the guy knows you don't open til then, he should set his route up to accommodate your business. Makes sense.