Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Captain America: Civil War

The trailer looks freaking awesome!!

A few random thoughts...

The final 10 seconds, with Cap and Bucky fighting Tony while tossing the shield back and forth, was simply amazing.

Rhodie is down, and might even be dead.

Tony is beaten-up in most of the scenes, he has a black eye almost constantly throughout the trailer. Cap has a lot of bruises on his face too. This fight will take its toll on everyone.

Barely saw Black Panther, but he looked good and there was a quick glimpse of him running the way a big cat would that was pretty cool.

No Spider-man in the trailer. I am sure they are saving that for trailer #2. No Ant Man either, even though he is going to be in the movie.

There was real emotion on Tony's face when he mentions being Cap's friend at the end. I think this film may emphasize emotion more than many of the other Marvel films. I approve! I love the way the trailer sets up why Cap would defy the government and the Superhero Registration Act (which they call the Sokovia Accords, Sokovia being the country Ultron was in when he tried to drop a city on Earth and destroy the planet). I would imagine that Tony's tremendous guilt over accidentally creating Ultron will lead him to be a "good soldier" for General Thunderbolt Ross (how can Ross be in a movie and Hulk not be in it?!?!).

-Jason "after Star Wars, this is my most anticipated film of the next 12 months" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The trailer looks freaking awesome!!

... -Jason "after Star Wars, this is my most anticipated film of the next 12 months" Evans
    I think it has a good shot at the top 5/6 next summer.

Ant man was in the trailer...
    That or I have dust on my monitor...

I'd be a little more excited if it wasn't guaranteed to end with Captain America and Iron Man setting aside their differences at the last minute to team up and fight a "real" bad guy (same comment for Batman v Superman). I also hope that Captain America has a better reason for what he's doing than just defending his friend, which I imagine he will. But it still should be really cool getting to see some of the heroes we haven't seen fight as much like Scarlet Witch and Ant-man using their powers.

Obviously, the only reason Hulk and Thor left at the end of Avengers 2 was because they'd be too powerful for this movie. It's a bit of a long-term problem for the Marvel franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I'd be a little more excited if it wasn't guaranteed to end with Captain America and Iron Man setting aside their differences at the last minute to team up and fight a "real" bad guy
    Well, in the comics, it actually does NOT end that way; one side is victorious over the other (sort of). But I'd have to agree that it's unlikely that the film follows the source material to the end (or maybe at all). Your scenario seems probable.

Well they HAVE to segue Thanos into Avengers 3 and someone has to be around to fight him...

-Jason "after Star Wars, this is my most anticipated film of the next 12 months" Evans
    As someone kind of "bleech" about the Star Wars franchise (at least the last 3 1/2 films), I would rate this my No. 1 most anticipated film of the next year.

Of all the Marvel films, I have enjoyed the two Captain America films most -- by a wide margin. And, Jason, I agree -- great trailer.

PS Wait ... is Prometheus 2 coming this summer? For all the flaws in the original, I think that's a franchise with a lot of promise. That ... and aren't we due for a new Trek movie? Even though I was disappointed with the last one, I'm a Trekkie at heart and can't wait for the next installment.

Still, I think Captain America is tops on my anticipation list.

I'm in...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

The more time goes by, the more I rank Captain America: The Winter Soldier as my favorite Marvel movie. The Russo brothers just nailed that movie. Glad to see them directing this and the next Avengers movies. This trailer looks amazing and I can't wait

Davekay beat me to it.
    The Captain America storylines/movies were the one I least looked forward to.
    I think I have enjoyed them the most, and think they stand up best over time.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    I still really enjoy the first Captain America film. I think Joe Johnston has a real feel for period films, and he nailed it with the first Cap film. I also really enjoyed his work on "The Rocketeer".
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    I still really enjoy the first Captain America film. I think Joe Johnston has a real feel for period films, and he nailed it with the first Cap film. I also really enjoyed his work on "The Rocketeer".
    I agree about Johnston -- The Rocketeer is an underrated film ... he also directed one of my all-time favorite films: "October Sky" (another period piece)

I've watched the new Captain America trailer a few times and one thing bothers me ...

It APPEARS that part of the setup is that Captain America is in violation of some kind of Superhero Registration/Control Act, which is pretty similar to a major plot point in Watchmen. Fair enough, but it looks like they have Iron Man helping the government enforce the act against Cap and his allies. How likely is that? Anybody remember the setup to Iron Man II when Senator Gary Shandling was trying to shut down Tony Stark for being uncontrollable and Stark defied him by insisting that he was capable of using his own judgment to defend America? And Stark has never been a character to toe the government line.

Maybe I'm reading too much into the trailer ... or maybe I'm just foolish to ask for consistency in a comic book movie. But when I do see the film, I'm going to be very interested in Stark's motivation ... and very skeptical of any plot that has him working for the government. And where is Nick Fury in all of this (or at least Maria Hill)?

Just a note: My biggest problem with The Winter Soldier -- a movie I loved -- was the absence of the other Avengers from a battle to shape America. Okay, Thor's off-planet and MAYBE The Hulk is out of touch -- Fury said at the end of The Avengers that he was not tracking the team members -- but at the very least, Fury should have been able to call on Stark, who is still working for Fury (Redford makes a request for Ironman to appear at his grandson's birthday party ... and there is also a brief shot of Stark Tower when the evil floating aircraft carriers are zeroing in on targets ... so if nothing else, Stark's own life was a stake). And Hawkeye is Natasha's boyfriend -- where the hell was he?

Sorry these things bother me (like Kick*ss appearing in the last Avengers movie)

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I agree about Johnston -- The Rocketeer is an underrated film ... he also directed one of my all-time favorite films: "October Sky" (another period piece)

I've watched the new Captain America trailer a few times and one thing bothers me ...

It APPEARS that part of the setup is that Captain America is in violation of some kind of Superhero Registration/Control Act, which is pretty similar to a major plot point in Watchmen. Fair enough, but it looks like they have Iron Man helping the government enforce the act against Cap and his allies. How likely is that? Anybody remember the setup to Iron Man II when Senator Gary Shandling was trying to shut down Tony Stark for being uncontrollable and Stark defied him by insisting that he was capable of using his own judgment to defend America? And Stark has never been a character to toe the government line.

Maybe I'm reading too much into the trailer ... or maybe I'm just foolish to ask for consistency in a comic book movie. But when I do see the film, I'm going to be very interested in Stark's motivation ... and very skeptical of any plot that has him working for the government. And where is Nick Fury in all of this (or at least Maria Hill)?

Just a note: My biggest problem with The Winter Soldier -- a movie I loved -- was the absence of the other Avengers from a battle to shape America. Okay, Thor's off-planet and MAYBE The Hulk is out of touch -- Fury said at the end of The Avengers that he was not tracking the team members -- but at the very least, Fury should have been able to call on Stark, who is still working for Fury (Redford makes a request for Ironman to appear at his grandson's birthday party ... and there is also a brief shot of Stark Tower when the evil floating aircraft carriers are zeroing in on targets ... so if nothing else, Stark's own life was a stake). And Hawkeye is Natasha's boyfriend -- where the hell was he?

Sorry these things bother me (like Kick*ss appearing in the last Avengers movie)
    Wait, Hawkeye is Natasha's boyfriend? I thought he had a wife and kids back on the farm. He's having an affair? WTH?!

I figured he was back on the farm and they didn't call him.

As for Stark, I'm not sure he's working for the government to force Cap to join the accords. I thought he just felt that Bucky was a threat that needed to be stopped. If his buddy (Don Cheadle) came to him and told him that Cap had gone off the reservation to help Bucky, I'm sure he'd help him. Or maybe he had a change of heart after the whole Ultron debacle.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Wait, Hawkeye is Natasha's boyfriend? I thought he had a wife and kids back on the farm. He's having an affair? WTH?!

I figured he was back on the farm and they didn't call him.

As for Stark, I'm not sure he's working for the government to force Cap to join the accords. I thought he just felt that Bucky was a threat that needed to be stopped. If his buddy (Don Cheadle) came to him and told him that Cap had gone off the reservation to help Bucky, I'm sure he'd help him. Or maybe he had a change of heart after the whole Ultron debacle.
    You are right about Hawkeye ... the Ultron movie (which revealed Hawkeye's home life) was so bad that I put a lot of it out of my mind (or maybe I was just knocked off my game by seeing Kick*ss masquerading s Quicksilver ... once I saw that, I spent the rest of the movie looking for Hit Girl). But certainly in The Avengers, Hawkeye and Natasha were an item.

You might be right about Stark and his motivation. Cheadle is his friend, but he knows Captain America very well too ... I think it would take a lot to make him become an active enemy. We'll have to see ...

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Wait, Hawkeye is Natasha's boyfriend? I thought he had a wife and kids back on the farm. He's having an affair? WTH?!.
    We're talking Scarlett Johanssen here. I'm sure Hawkeye's wife would understand. "But, Honey...she's on The List!".

Not sure if the Hulk would be so forgiving, though...

I was very interested to see the snippet of Cheadle/War Machine in the trailer. The trailer implies, with Iron Man appearing already with a black eye, and Cap remarking that "it's been a long day", that their confrontation occurs after a significant amount of action has taken place. I see an easy motivation for Tony in which Rhoadie, always the good soldier, is sent to track down Bucky, and gets either seriously injured or killed in the confrontation, after which Tony agrees to help the gubmint track down Bucky.

Avengers 2, btw, I found better on second viewing. It was, and still remains, a disappointment after Avengers. However, I think it is a film burdened with being a bridge. Whedon attempted to set up so much in that movie - getting new pieces introduced, and moving all the pieces into place for Captain America: Civil War, Thor: Ragnarok, and for Avengers: Infinity War, etc. It was a lot to ask to try to do all of those things while also making something resembling a coherent movie. I think making a coherent movie suffered under the burden of serving the overall story arc of the Marvel universe. The reason I liked the movie better at home, second time around, was partially because my expectations were lowered after seeing it in the theater, but also because it was easier to follow all those moving parts on second viewing. I suspect Avengers 2 will be more appreciated AFTER Captain America:Civil War and Avengers:Infinity War have been done and the purpose of all those seemingly purposeless comings and goings are more clear.

Which is good, because James Spader did some really funny, quality voice work as Ultron, who was, in the end, a heck of a lot more enteraining than any of the Marvel movie villians to date save Loki.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Which is good, because James Spader did some really funny, quality voice work as Ultron, who was, in the end, a heck of a lot more enteraining than any of the Marvel movie villians to date save Loki.
    The villains are the weakest part of the MCU so far to me. Loki is by definition about equal to Thor... and he had to face Thor + 5 other heroes. Ultron by definition is weaker than Vision (that's why he wanted to build Vision so badly), but he had to face Vision + 8 other heroes. Of course Loki and Ultron had an army of aliens/robots too, but still... it's strange for this genre of movie to have the heroes never feel like the plucky underdog. I want the Avengers to face someone that is far more powerful than they are, like a few X-Wings going up against the Death Star.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    You are right about Hawkeye ... the Ultron movie (which revealed Hawkeye's home life) was so bad that I put a lot of it out of my mind (or maybe I was just knocked off my game by seeing Kick*ss masquerading s Quicksilver ... once I saw that, I spent the rest of the movie looking for Hit Girl). But certainly in The Avengers, Hawkeye and Natasha were an item.

You might be right about Stark and his motivation. Cheadle is his friend, but he knows Captain America very well too ... I think it would take a lot to make him become an active enemy. We'll have to see ...
    I think Iron Man's main motivation for siding with the government will be guilt over the chaos he caused with Ultron. Plus, his identity and location are already known so keeping himself secret and hidden would not be an issue at all for him.

As for Hawkeye and Black Widow, while they were close because they worked together extensively in SHIELD, I never got the impression there were lovers or had more of a bond than longtime partners would.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    The villains are the weakest part of the MCU so far to me. Loki is by definition about equal to Thor... and he had to face Thor + 5 other heroes. Ultron by definition is weaker than Vision (that's why he wanted to build Vision so badly), but he had to face Vision + 8 other heroes. Of course Loki and Ultron had an army of aliens/robots too, but still... it's strange for this genre of movie to have the heroes never feel like the plucky underdog. I want the Avengers to face someone that is far more powerful than they are, like a few X-Wings going up against the Death Star.
    I suspect you will get your wish with Thanos, who should be seen as much more powerful (especially if he wields the Infinity Gauntlet) than our heroes.

-Jason "I bet we see multiple superhero deaths in coming films... Tony, Cap, and Vision all are likely to die in my opinion" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

As for Hawkeye and Black Widow, while they were close because they worked together extensively in SHIELD, I never got the impression there were lovers or had more of a bond than longtime partners would.
    Wow ... you and I must have seen a different movie ... and I'm not the only one who came out of the Avengers thinking there was a romantic relationship between Natasha and Hawkeye:

http://www.heroesandheartbreakers.co...be-shipping-it

There are definitely interviews with Johannsen, Renner and Whedon -- before Ultron -- that hint at a romantic relationship.

And if Natasha isn't carrying a torch for Hawkeye, can you explain the necklace she was wearing in The Winter Soldier?

https://www.google.com/search?q=nata...ZeHcUU-sr6M%3D

I suspect you will get your wish with Thanos, who should be seen as much more powerful (especially if he wields the Infinity Gauntlet) than our heroes.

-Jason "I bet we see multiple superhero deaths in coming films... Tony, Cap, and Vision all are likely to die in my opinion" Evans
    I think so too. I heard a new favorite theory about Thanos. Each of the infinity stones has "killed" one bad guy... in Captain America 1, Thor 2, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Avengers 2. That can't be a coincidence, right? And most of those deaths the bad guy just sort of disappears... the theory says they are probably just trapped within the stones and get unleashed by Thanos.

My personal alternate conspiracy theory is that the real main bad guy of the MCU ends up being the Collector, not Thanos.

Bump.

So the newest trailer was released yesterday.

I'm a little burnt out on Super Hero movies, but I'll probably still go see this.

The introduced our old pal Spidey at the end.

My two thoughts on him:

1. His suit looks awful
    2. He sounds like he's twelve!

Why, oh why, couldn't Andrew Garfield still be Spiderman?
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 03-11-2016 at 09:56 AM. Reason: embeded video