Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wojo v Hurley

Wojo v Hurley

Kinda neat to see these two on the sidelines as Marquette and Arizona State go at it!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    OT...nice.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Marquette 78-73

Interesting first half. Marquette unis are a bit jarring but the team is cohesive. Bobby's sun devils have plenty of work ahead but they'll make some noise in the Pac.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Tough to pick a favorite in this game -- I guess I kind of leaned toward Wojo, since he's in his second season and needs it more than Bobby, who has a bit more leeway in his first season.

Also, while our attention was on Wojo vs. Bobby, Chris Collins' Northwestern team bounced back from its loss to the Cheaters with one of his biggest wins at Northwestern. His Wildcats beat Missouri, 67-72. I know Missouri is not great, but it's still a major conference opponent playing in its home state (although Kansas City has always been more of a home for Kansas than Missouri ... for some reason St. Louis is more of a Missouri town, even though the school is located about halfway between the two major cities in the state).

Anyway, to get back on topic -- it was a very good win for Northwestern and Chris. And a good win for Wojo ... I'm sure Bobby's time will come at Arizona State -- but Herbie left him a mess.

I found myself cheering for Bobby last night. He has always been one of my favorite players, so I guess that carried over.

What was fun to see is how animated Wojo was out there vs how calm Bobby seemed to be. I am sure the intensity was about the same, but the outward appearance was so different. Hopefully, both they get to play each other again in the NCAAs.

That was hard to watch. I didn't want either coach to lose. More so than for other K-tree matchups. Both Bobby and Wojo are fighting for chops, and I want them both to succeed.

Bright side for Bobby Hurley: 247's crystal ball has ASU 90% for Thon Maker next year.

Anyone know if this is home and home?

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    What was fun to see is how animated Wojo was out there vs how calm Bobby seemed to be. I am sure the intensity was about the same, but the outward appearance was so different. Hopefully, both they get to play each other again in the NCAAs.
    Wojo is completely out of his mind on the sidelines. After his squad got destroyed by Iowa by 30, he reportedly took away all of their nice practice swag and forced them to practice outside when they got to Brooklyn for the game. This game was more important to him, I think. He is in year 2 and has an NBA player on his team in Ellenson. He needs to start putting together some wins and getting this holiday tournament win was big, it's his first as a head coach.

His team is interesting, Ellenson is an NBA stretch 4, Luke Fisher is a 6'11" lean, mobile and athletic center. I like their point guard, Traci Carter.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    This was the Legends Classic, a new-ish Feast Week tournament they play at the Barclay Center in Brooklyn. We won it last year when we beat Temple and Stanford.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post

What was fun to see is how animated Wojo was out there...
    And, how protective his assistant Coach Carrawell was.

I watched several portions of the game, including the end of regulation time and overtime. Loved seeing two beloved Blue Devils, but the contest had a decidedly intrasquad feel to it. I found myself watching the coaches more than the game. Bobby was the guy in control, Wojo was the rah-rah cheerleader.
    Go Duke and Friends!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

That was hard to watch. I didn't want either coach to lose. More so than for other K-tree matchups. Both Bobby and Wojo are fighting for chops, and I want them both to succeed.

Bright side for Bobby Hurley: 247's crystal ball has ASU 90% for Thon Maker next year.

Thon Maker would be a huge get for Bobby.

The game between Marquette and Arizona St was part of the Legends Classic (or as ESPN renamed it the Ben Simmons Invitational). So no home-and-home.

I found myself rooting for Wojo and Marquette. Partly due to my Wisconsin roots and partly due to my age. I was at Duke with Wojo but in HS for Hurley. Having CWell and Tyler on his bench helped sway me as well.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I watched several portions of the game, including the end of regulation time and overtime. Loved seeing two beloved Blue Devils, but the contest had a decidedly intrasquad feel to it. I found myself watching the coaches more than the game. Bobby was the guy in control, Wojo was the rah-rah cheerleader.
    Go Duke and Friends!
    Both were furious with the refs - who were terrible! I do find Wojo's antics hilarious. K must have had an electric collar on him at Duke, or tied him to his chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Both were furious with the refs - who were terrible! I do find Wojo's antics hilarious. K must have had an electric collar on him at Duke, or tied him to his chair.
    Yeah Wojo may need to calm down lest he blow out a heart valve or something! Watching him now makes it almost unbelievable how calm and composed he seemed on the Duke bench. How did he contain it?

Quote Originally Posted by jacone21 View Post
    Yeah Wojo may need to calm down lest he blow out a heart valve or something! Watching him now makes it almost unbelievable how calm and composed he seemed on the Duke bench. How did he contain it?
    He definitely lost his cool a few times as a coach at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by jacone21 View Post
    How did he contain it?
    K is Don Corleone and Wojo was Luca Brasi.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    He definitely lost his cool a few times as a coach at Duke.
    It's not about losing his cool. He literally runs up and down the sideline, from the end of the bench to mid scorers table, throughout the entire game. As he does so, he is flailing his arms and clapping and cajoling and stamping his feet. It's not atypical coach behavior, many guys exhibit this style, but it does make one think that he literally had to do everything in his power to stay seated during his long tenure in Durham.

It's not about losing his cool. He literally runs up and down the sideline, from the end of the bench to mid scorers table, throughout the entire As he does so, he is flailing his arms and clapping and cajoling and stamping his feet. It's not atypical coach behavior, many guys exhibit this style, but it does make one think that he literally had to do everything in his power to stay seated during his long tenure in Durham.
    I understand Wojo got a Fitbit for his birthday and is trying to up his step count.

But seriously. Hurley played for Duke. Wojo played for Duke, coached for Duke and has populated his staff with former Duke players/coaches. So, he gets the tie-breakers.

Ouch. The two most prominent scenes involving Luca were being a dullard at Connie's wedding and then "sleeping with the fishes."

It's not about losing his cool. He literally runs up and down the sideline, from the end of the bench to mid scorers table, throughout the entire game. As he does so, he is flailing his arms and clapping and cajoling and stamping his feet. It's not atypical coach behavior, many guys exhibit this style, but it does make one think that he literally had to do everything in his power to stay seated during his long tenure in Durham.
    Maybe he's filming an exercise video.

Wojo's restrained behavior on the Duke bench was all about discipline.

Officials will put up with a lot from head coaches, but almost any kind of visible demonstration by an assistant coach is an automatic T. Ask Jim Larranaga -- he earned a T as Terry Holland's assistant in the 1983 ACC Tournament title game -- a T that cost Virginia the title.

No matter how emotional Wojo got as a Duke assistant, he knew he had to restrain himself. Now, as a head coach, he can push the boundary as far as the refs let him.

BTW: I think Luca Brasi is a poor comparison. Wojo is Sonny Corleone -- fairly quiet and in the background when his father was on hand, but a wild man when he took over the family.

I guess that makes K Don Corleone. (and Bobby becomes Michael -- K didn't bring him into the family business at first ... and Mike Brey becomes Tom Hagen -- an adopted son ... not sure who I'd call Fredo ... how about Nate James as Luca Brasi -- the silent killer?)

Ouch. The two most prominent scenes involving Luca were being a dullard at Connie's wedding and then "sleeping with the fishes."
    True, I lean on the book (which is awesome and a must read for fans of the films) for the comparison. jacone21 asked how Wojo contained himself while in Durham based on his current sideline behavior. In the Godfather book *SPOILER ALERT FOR THOSE 5 PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN THE FILMS*, the full story of Luca Brasi is told. He was a wild animal of a man, running the back alleys of Manhattan whoring, stealing, intimidating and generally creating mayhem. In the Don's words, "A man who runs about asking to be killed". The Don got leverage on him and saw in his untamed fury a force that could be directed and harnessed. He cultivated him as a trusted muscle man/enforcer/assasin - the Don basically being the only man who could control him.

K has often said that he'd want Wojo in a foxhole because he knows he'd take a bullet for him. Like the Don and Luca, K is the only one who could contain Wojo.

True, I lean on the book (which is awesome and a must read for fans of the films) for the comparison. jacone21 asked how Wojo contained himself while in Durham based on his current sideline behavior. In the Godfather book *SPOILER ALERT FOR THOSE 5 PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN THE FILMS*, the full story of Luca Brasi is told. He was a wild animal of a man, running the back alleys of Manhattan whoring, stealing, intimidating and generally creating mayhem. In the Don's words, "A man who runs about asking to be killed". The Don got leverage on him and saw in his untamed fury a force that could be directed and harnessed. He cultivated him as a trusted muscle man/enforcer/assasin - the Don basically being the only man who could control him.

K has often said that he'd want Wojo in a foxhole because he knows he'd take a bullet for him. Like the Don and Luca, K is the only one who could contain Wojo.
    Seems apt. After all, no one else could control Patrick Davidson...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.