Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Kentucky 74, Duke 63 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Teaching moment!

Juniors and Seniors - 44 points on 64% shooting
    Freshman and Sophomores - 19 points on 21%

Looking forward to seeing these guys learn and get better.

Go Duke! VCU on Friday.

Juniors and seniors: 16 for 25
    Freshmen and sophomores: 6 for 29.
    Not too mention rebounding for the upperclassmen and turnovers for the underclassmen,

I don't think this team will ever be as good as last year's. But, it doesn't have to be. We'll be better than we were tonight, and I don't think there are any great teams this year, compared to 3-4 great teams last year.

Juniors and Seniors: B

Freshmen and Sophomores: D-

Against Kentucky? Not nearly good enough.

It looks like Kentucky's defense is well ahead of our offense.

For some reason, I'm not going all chicken-little (or SPHM) just yet. We didn't play particularly well, but I think many offenses will look pedestrian against Kentucky's length.

I'm looking forward to how we develop from this. Next play.

Amile Plumlee for player of the game - 28 pts / 25 rbs / 6 blocks.

Our bugs have a game like that and you expect a different result. Well, I would.

What a difference Tyus would make.

Ehhh it's Novemeber.

Grayson and Ingram both ran into length and it phased them.

Plumlee and Jefferson were solid, but the team still allowed far too many offensive boards.

Saw on Twitter that Thornton and several teammates were getting into it. That's fine, they should be frustrated as they weren't playing so hot.

Team has a lot of room for improvement, but it's the third game of the season. I look forward to watching them figure it out.

Honestly think this Kentucky team is just as good as the team they had last year. They won't be 38-1, but those guards are dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by gurufrisbee View Post

Where is Grayson? His TO's did not help at all.

Wasn't good.

Amile, Marshall, and Matt came to play. The other guys not so much. Derryck isn't ready yet. Grayson looked flat outmatched, didn't seem to go left, didn't make good decisions, and forced a ton. He probably should've drawn a few extra foul shots to be fair. Ingram was equally lost.

Perhaps the only real positive is that Kentucky didn't strike me as terribly impressive. Murray and Ulis looked good. The other guys looked supportive but not dominant. And Skal strikes me slight of frame. If he doesn't have top-notch offensive skills not sure he can bang. Will see.

Well, a lot lot to work on. It's plenty early in the season. Luckily a down year throughout the ACC (hopefully) may give us more wiggle room than normal.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by gurufrisbee View Post

Not sure what the Juniors and Seniors need to do to get an A from you haha. Thought they were great tonight. Agree on the freshman and sophomores.

Wow, that Ulis/Murray backcourt is dynamite. Briscoe's a terrific third wheel as well.

Their backcourt controlled the game with their playmaking on offense and their ball pressure on defense, which pushed Duke's offense farther out and forced turnovers from us.

Just got to tip your cap. I thought Kentucky had the best talent this year, and I was just hoping to steal a game from them early in the season but they were ready for us. Not sure how UK turned the ball over so much in their first two games -- must've just been screwing around a bit.

I still like this Duke team a lot. It's possible only UK's backcourt could make us look so bad this season. We'll see.

Allen, Kennard, Ingram = 10 points. That has to change, and I am sure it will. Allen needs an option to outlet to Jefferson on the weak side on drives.

Really tough against a reasonable defense to not have a PG, and at this point in the year reasonable is about as good as it gets. No interior passing. They were fortunate to get a bunch of rebounds early; without those this is a 25 pt loss. Missed FTs don't help. Those killed comeback potential two or three times. Gonna be a long road to any kind of defense.

The loss combined with listening to Bilas praise every odd bounce took some of the fun out of watching. They will get better, but there are a lot of things to work on, especially on D.

I think they have the potential to have tons of TO'S against a feisty quick D as well.
    Last edited by Kfanarmy; 11-17-2015 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Adding on

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Ehhh it's Novemeber.

Grayson and Ingram both ran into length and it phased them.

Plumlee and Jefferson were solid, but the team still allowed far too many offensive boards.

Saw on Twitter that Thornton and several teammates were getting into it. That's fine, they should be frustrated as they weren't playing so hot.

Team has a lot of room for improvement, but it's the third game of the season. I look forward to watching them figure it out.

Honestly think this Kentucky team is just as good as the team they had last year. They won't be 38-1, but those guards are dirty.
    Ingram ran into length??? Who is lengthier than him?

Hopefully this I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.-whooping will be a lesson to the younger guys, you can't walk on the court with DUKE on your shirt and expect the other team to just lay down. You have to out work, out hussle, and out play your opponent. If not - add another L to your resume.

Back down to Earth yet?

We're a good team right now but not one of the top tier teams. Yet I don't know who besides the cheats is a top tier team right now.

On the bright side I thought our two-man front court did a good job against a team that is superior athletically. With the exception of Matt Jones our back court played young, because it is young, and simply not as talented.

Ulis ate us up tonight. Thornton is supposed to be a strong defender but Ulis wiped the floor with him whenever he wanted. I thought this game ended at the end of the half. That was a nightmare ending and signified the lack of maturity this team has to work through.

Ingram really looked overwhelmed. I feel like he shut down a little mentally in this one. To me this is just part of the maturation process that a normal freshman just goes through. We didn't have normal freshmen last year. But we still have nice potential this year.

It's a bummer to get smoked like that but I like the fact that K gave Thornton a lot of opportunity. Our offense had no flow so maybe K gives the youngster a chance to start and figure it out. He has scoring chops and defensive ego, if he gets a little confidence...

Props to MP3, Amile and Matt.

Grayson had a really bad game. So did Ingram although he showed some flashes of offense. I was most disappointed in his lazy passes.

Long way to go...interested in Ks post game comments.

Impressed with Kentucky. Ulis was a beast. Murray was as good as expected. Skal sucked and they still had their way. They are good.

Missed most of the game except for glances at TV over the bar during business dinner. Both Ingram and Thornton looked whipped with 10 minutes to play. They'll learn but win or lose you're Duke - hold your head up and get better.

Our young guys (and Grayson) struggled mightily. Great to see Marshall and Amile play so well, tho. Watching our guard play really makes me appreciate Tyus that much more...

There's a lot of room to grow and we've got the best coach in the business. Duke will be fine. Guards usually take the longest to adjust so not uncommon to struggle this early on. Especially against tremendous talent.

-I'm really looking forward to Kennard's first "break-out" game. I love everything about him on the court... other than the fact he has shot so poorly.