Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

The "I'm not going to jinx it" thread 2016

Back again.

From last year: Every year we get upset threads and then jinx the underdog. This year, let's try something different.
    Any time we see an upset brewing, say Bobby Hurley's Buffalo squad taking on some Wildcats, we talk about field hockey, or beer, or gardening.
    Of course, as with the observer effect suggests that simply one's awareness is enough to jinx the whole dang enterprise.

I'm going to skip the beer convo and I'm not a hockey fan. I'm a runner, but with a bum foot. As it happens, late middle-aged/early fossils should not jump off the top of retaining walls. For the short term, I'm not a runner, I'm a Rider.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    Back again.

From last year: Every year we get upset threads and then jinx the underdog. This year, let's try something different.
    Any time we see an upset brewing, say Bobby Hurley's Buffalo squad taking on some Wildcats, we talk about field hockey, or beer, or gardening.
    Of course, as with the observer effect suggests that simply one's awareness is enough to jinx the whole dang enterprise.

I'm going to skip the beer convo and I'm not a hockey fan. I'm a runner, but with a bum foot. As it happens, late middle-aged/early fossils should not jump off the top of retaining walls. For the short term, I'm not a runner, I'm a Rider.
    Um, ironic choice in field hockey since Duke field hockey lost to the Heels in the NCAA semifinals today. That was "supposed" to happen according to rankings, but still...

nice try. I applaud the effort, albeit in a losing cause.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    nice try. I applaud the effort, albeit in a losing cause.
    I'd done better to bet on extreme weather, a la Hurricanes. Still, it's a fun thread. There was one team in particular that it worked well for last year, though. And we did have the good sense to lock last year's right after the Final Four games.

I'd done better to bet on extreme weather, a la Hurricanes. Still, it's a fun thread. There was one team in particular that it worked well for last year, though. And we did have the good sense to lock last year's right after the Final Four games.
    I think the Hurricanes were technically favored in that game.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I think the Hurricanes were technically favored in that game.
    By Pomeroy, yes. By ranking, the size of the thumping is impressive. Have no idea what the betting line might be.

The MD game was more interesting. Rider was up about 10 with 11 minutes to go. I think that was right before I reintroduced the thread.

By Pomeroy, yes. By ranking, the size of the thumping is impressive. Have no idea what the betting line might be.

The MD game was more interesting. Rider was up about 10 with 11 minutes to go. I think that was right before I reintroduced the thread.
    Pretty sure it is not really your fault, though I can see why you might be feeling a little guilty. Sadly, it's not unusual for a team that gets off to a great start despite being severely overmatched in talent to run out of steam late in the game...

I remember seeing Miami -2.5, so I think the betting line was for Miami. Still, the margin of victory was quite impressive.

Sheep reportedly lost in the cornfield

-5 with 5 to go

-3 with 1:56 to go

-3 with 46 seconds to go

-3 with 6 seconds to go

Down goes the #1 cheaters!!!

It's a FINAL!

UNC 67
    UNI 71

Uni uni uni

Yay!

1-1 on the year? not a bad record!
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    1-1 on the year? not a bad record!
    I rolled my eyes when this thread was opened again this year, but just now instead of rolling I am lol-ing. Long live the unjinx thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Skitzle View Post
    I rolled my eyes when this thread was opened again this year, but just now instead of rolling I am lol-ing. Long live the unjinx thread!
    Well, thank you. And if you look at last year, you know who you'd find this thread worked best on?