Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

2015-2016 Carolina Panthers

last week i was pretty happy with 7-0 sandwich...this week, 8-0 casserole.....

just wow....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Impressive. As a Patriots fan who lives in NC, I'd love to relive the feelings associated with the '03 Super Bowl.

It has been an unbelievable ride through the first half of the season. I was really bummed when Kelvin Benjamin hurt his knee and figured we'd be a .500 team at best. Glad I missed that one!

I haven't been always been able figure out Gettleman's mindset on certain moves (or non moves) but he has done a remarkable job putting this team together. I thought he was insane for not going after more linemen in the draft, but Cam's protection and the pressure we've been able to put on opposing QB's has been outstanding. He's also gambled on some players late in their careers (Tillman, Oher, Harper and Allen) and it seems to be paying off.

Now, if everyone can stay healthy...

Trap game today...they'd better be focused...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Terrible penalty took a Ted Ginn punt return off the board. Ugh

I like Can Newton. But if one of the Titan defenders took his head off right now, I'd probably say it was Karma.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I like Can Newton. But if one of the Titan defenders took his head off right now, I'd probably say it was Karma.
    Cam wasn't in anyone's face. If they don't want him celebrating, they should have stopped him

nine 'n oh- jelly roll....

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Cam wasn't in anyone's face. If they don't want him celebrating, they should have stopped him
    Remember a couple of years ago in the playoffs when Colin Kaepernick mocked Cam with the Superman pose after scoring a TD. Lots of Panther fans felt it was disrespectful, but I thought it was fair game. To his credit, Cam had no issues with it, but did say he'd remember it.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013...-superman-pose
    http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/coli...man-cam-newton

As long as you take what you dish out, I have no issues with it.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Remember a couple of years ago in the playoffs when Colin Kaepernick mocked Cam with the Superman pose after scoring a TD. Lots of Panther fans felt it was disrespectful, but I thought it was fair game. To his credit, Cam had no issues with it, but did say he'd remember it.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013...-superman-pose
    http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/coli...man-cam-newton

As long as you take what you dish out, I have no issues with it.
    Cam is by all accounts a great athlete and a decent humab being (since his arrival in the NFL at least). But his attitude makes it really hard for me to root for him.

I know the line between leadership and cockiness is thin, but his camera mugging and, first down salutes, Superman poses, and general, uh, poo eating grin make him hard to root for.

Go Panthers! And, by extention, Newton.

well, the worst would be having a loser of a game and the opposing QB mocking him...but...the way cam is playing right now, i guess i'll have to take the good with the bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Cam is by all accounts a great athlete and a decent humab being (since his arrival in the NFL at least). But his attitude makes it really hard for me to root for him.

I know the line between leadership and cockiness is thin, but his camera mugging and, first down salutes, Superman poses, and general, uh, poo eating grin make him hard to root for.

Go Panthers! And, by extention, Newton.
    I think the first down celebration is the one that irks people the most, because it is seen as an excessive celebration of a fairly routine play. Adding in the celebrations after a rushing TD (Superman, giving away a football) and the grand total is seen as too much. The part I find interesting are that signature TD celebrations are pretty commonplace across elite players in the league, and very few are criticized. I rarely hear that Aaron Rodgers is hard to root for due to his Championship Belt pose, or similar for Gronkowski's spike or Graham's "dunk" over the crossbar.

The "poo eating grin" I do take a little offense at. Early in his career, Newton was accused of being too mecurical on the sidelines. He never smiled or looked like he was having a good time. Now that he's doing the exact opposite and we want to criticize him for smiling? It's a game, and if he enjoys playing it I say smile away.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    I think the first down celebration is the one that irks people the most, because it is seen as an excessive celebration of a fairly routine play. Adding in the celebrations after a rushing TD (Superman, giving away a football) and the grand total is seen as too much. The part I find interesting are that signature TD celebrations are pretty commonplace across elite players in the league, and very few are criticized. I rarely hear that Aaron Rodgers is hard to root for due to his Championship Belt pose, or similar for Gronkowski's spike or Graham's "dunk" over the crossbar.

The "poo eating grin" I do take a little offense at. Early in his career, Newton was accused of being too mecurical on the sidelines. He never smiled or looked like he was having a good time. Now that he's doing the exact opposite and we want to criticize him for smiling? It's a game, and if he enjoys playing it I say smile away.
    http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl-news...anthers-titans

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the first down celebrations but the end zone stuff is fair game in my opinion.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Look, I like Cam and he is having a fine season. I like his tradition of giving away the football after each TD he scores. It is a nice way to involve and acknowledge the fans.

But the first down celebrations are a bit much. I was watching the game yesterday and early in the game he scrambled for a first down on what I think was a 2nd and 3 play where he ran for about 5 yards. It was not really all that important of a play nor was it dramatic or required special skills. There are at least a dozen other QBs in the NFL who could have and would have done the exact same thing.

And here goes Cam with the first down pointy thing. It just looked silly. You celebrate big plays, important plays, game-changing or drive-changing plays... but a fairly routine first down early in the game... it just makes you look contrived and silly to celebrate something like that. Excessive celebration doesn't only apply to how long and how grandiose the celebration is. It can apply to how often you celebrate. I think it is sorta silly in volleyball the way many women's teams all high-five and do a cheer after every single point. Well, Cam celebrating every single first down is equally off-putting and excessive.

-Jason "Cam is on my fantasy team and doing good, but not great, thus far" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Celebrating

Weekend before last I was under the weather and watched more football than usual. Flipping channels--and I don't remember anything else about the plays--I saw the same thing happen in two games ten minutes apart. That is, the defensive player got a good lick on the ball carrier, stopping him, and proceeded to celebrate, thus not seeing that he had jarred the ball loose and could have recovered the fumble. I guess the celebration pose is more important.

Redskins game

My best friend (a Tar Heel fan believe it or not) and I will be at the game Sunday. Looking forward to it, first NFL game. Kind of strange I have been to a Duke-UNC Cameron game but not a Panther game. Go Panthers!!!

I honestly feel bad for Cam. It doesn't really matter what happens people will find reasons to "trash" him. The man has no off field issues since being drafted, is busy in the community, caters to children, says the right things and is still viewed as idk scum.

Can you imagine the storylines if it would have been Cam that threw the iPad down during a game instead of Rodgers? It would have been nonstop on ESPN.

Even many Panther fans hate on him. Just baffles me
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

I was sitting behind a group of people at the Packers game, who didn't say one nice thing about Cam Newton. They were Panther fans. "There's no I in team Cam!!!" Why are you running the ball Cam? Learn how to throw Cam!!! Put in Anderson!!!

Now, while these idiots are clearly just that, as evidenced by the last quotation, you can definitely hear the rest of those lines permeating throughout the stadium. Charlotte is so lucky that Cam already signed his deal. Cam is Cam, Cam is black, Cam doesn't want to be anything else, nor is he going to to try and be. Some of his schtick is excessive, but I think it's all hilarious and it gets the team fired up. If his teammates told Cam to cut it out, he would, but they like it, so on it goes, and he doesn't care what anyone says about what a QB should be. Cam is what the Panthers QB is, not gonna change. Thank God.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

I feel the same about the first down celebration by an offensive player as I feel about a defender celebrating a first or second down tackle.

The job's not over. Stop wasting energy and get ready for the next play.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I was sitting behind a group of people at the Packers game, who didn't say one nice thing about Cam Newton. They were Panther fans. "There's no I in team Cam!!!" Why are you running the ball Cam? Learn how to throw Cam!!! Put in Anderson!!!

Now, while these idiots are clearly just that, as evidenced by the last quotation, you can definitely hear the rest of those lines permeating throughout the stadium. Charlotte is so lucky that Cam already signed his deal. Cam is Cam, Cam is black, Cam doesn't want to be anything else, nor is he going to to try and be. Some of his schtick is excessive, but I think it's all hilarious and it gets the team fired up. If his teammates told Cam to cut it out, he would, but they like it, so on it goes, and he doesn't care what anyone says about what a QB should be. Cam is what the Panthers QB is, not gonna change. Thank God.
    Are you serious? There are large numbers of Panther fans who want a new QB?!?!? This is beyond insanity. Cam is a fine QB. He's getting by without a single WR who would be a starter on any other playoff contender. There have been multiple games this year where he seemed to hoist the team on his back and win the game for them. No, he is not putting up the kind of crazy passing numbers some of the other elite QBS do, but that is not the Panthers game plan.

-Jason "crazy foolish to think you could find a significant upgrade to Cam on your bench or in the draft or whatever" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?