View Poll Results: The result of the Super Bowl will be

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Carolina wins by a lot (9+ points)

23 52.27%
  • Carolina wins by a little (1-8 points)

11 25.00%
  • Carolina wins in OT or last seconds of game

0 0%
  • Denver wins in OT or last seconds of game

3 6.82%
  • Denver wins by a little (1-8 points)

7 15.91%
  • Denver wins by a lot (9+ points)

0 0%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Super Bowl L - Carolina Panthers Vs. Denver Broncos

New thread, ya'll...

Since i'm such a big fan of peyton manning, i'm going to be a winner either way this comes out....however, i really want the panthers to win this.

The way the panthers have played down the stretch, it's no surprise that they are slightly favored, but denver's D is going to take on the task of disrupting cam's magic season....

I think the panther's defense is more likely to disrupt peyton...

who will prevail?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Not only does Vegas have Carolina as the favorite (currently -5.5) but all the metrics seem to agree as well. ESPN's FPI and 538's Elo rating both give the Panthers the edge. Both of these models have been nearly flawless in predicting the outcome of the playoff games.

I agree with you Moonpie, I think Carolina's defense will ultimately be more disruptive to Denver's offense than the other way around. The Panthers D-line is going to overwhelm Denver's O-line. Peyton can't be Peyton if he's constantly got someone about to pile drive him, just look at Brady this past Sunday.

I don't think Denver's D-line can do to Cam what they did to Brady this past Sunday. One, our O-line is WAY better than the Pats and two, Cam has shown this year that he is one of the best in the business at handling the pressure and producing results while being blitzed.

I think the only way the Panthers lose is if they don't get off to a fast start and Denver is able to keep it close through 3 quarters and/or they lose the turnover battle. The Panthers have thrived on taking the ball away from teams and subsequently putting points on the board. If this happens and it's close late anything can happen. Otherwise, I see the Panthers winning by a healthy margin. Fingers crossed anyway
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Peyton: "panthers-gonna-pound-on-me"

who didn't just sing that...?? lol
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Moonpie asked me to add a poll. Votes are public, so you better stand by whatever you pick!

-Jason "I am going with Carolina by a lot. The Denver D is great, but Cam is doing something special and the Denver O is going to be utterly stymied" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Logically it makes sense to see this as a Panthers run away. I like both teams about the same, so I don't feel a strong rooting urge one way or the other. But there is the part of me that wants this to kind of be a story book ending for Peyton.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Moonpie asked me to add a poll. Votes are public, so you better stand by whatever you pick!

-Jason "I am going with Carolina by a lot. The Denver D is great, but Cam is doing something special and the Denver O is going to be utterly stymied" Evans

My heart agrees, but my head says blowouts in the Super Bowl are not common. Denver's D will keep this one close, but Panthers win.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    My heart agrees, but my head says blowouts in the Super Bowl are not common.
    13 of the past 23 Super Bowls have been decided by more than 7 points, including 9 that were decided by 14 or more points (my definition of the blow-out). We have had a nice little run of close Super Bowls in recent years (4 of the past 5 have been less than 7 point games) but historically, the Super Bowl is quite often a one-sided affair.

-Jason "I'd love for Peyton to have one more great game... but I'd put the odds of it happening at less than 25%" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

13 of the past 23 Super Bowls have been decided by more than 7 points, including 9 that were decided by 14 or more points (my definition of the blow-out). We have had a nice little run of close Super Bowls in recent years (4 of the past 5 have been less than 7 point games) but historically, the Super Bowl is quite often a one-sided affair.

-Jason "I'd love for Peyton to have one more great game... but I'd put the odds of it happening at less than 25%" Evans
    23 years ago Bill Clinton was not yet the come-back-kid, Bill Belichick was starting to compile a losing record in Cleveland, and Washington (!) had just won the Super Bowl.

Things have changed since then. Not just in the world, but in the game of football.

9 of the last 15 Super Bowls have been decided by less than a touchdown. Now, I will give you that the other 6 were decided by more than 9 points, but the point remains: over the past 15 years, 60% of the games have been within one possession. Over the past 5 years, it's been 80%.

Like I said, my heart thinks Carolina will win big, but this is sports and who knows. Given the recent numbers, I picked Carolina by 1-8. We will find out who is right soon enough.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Scores in Super Bowls that Manning has played in.

XLI Indy 29 - Chicago 17
    XLIV New Orleans 31 - Indy 17
    XLVIII Seattle 43 - Denver 8

I'm going with a blow out.

Panthers live up to the hype and blow out Denver by 14 or more. Cam will become even more obnoxious to his detractors, Peyton will limp off into the sunset.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

What does it mean that the NFL has dropped Roman numerals for this one? Seems really weird to me. Maybe unlucky for someone...

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    What does it mean that the NFL has dropped Roman numerals for this one? Seems really weird to me. Maybe unlucky for someone...

-jk
    It's a one-year hiatus because they thought an L by itself just looked funny. Next year will be Super Bowl LI.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    Probably because SUPER BOWL L looks like a typo.

I'm wondering about CBS' decision to give Stephen Colbert the postgame slot. Will it work? People are conditioned to believe that prime time TV is over once the late night host is on.

I get it from a business sense: after years of essentially leasing an hour to David Letterman to run a show he owned, CBS now has a late night property that does OK but isn't making NBC late night money. I just think they'd be better off letting one of their young cinematic shows like LIMITLESS or SCORPION be seen by a much larger audience. Especially the former; people who don't watch might be surprised to see Bradley Cooper slumming on a network TV show.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    . I just think they'd be better off letting one of their young cinematic shows like LIMITLESS or SCORPION be seen by a much larger audience. Especially the former; people who don't watch might be surprised to see Bradley Cooper slumming on a network TV show.
    Topic change... is Limitless any good? I watched the first three or four episodes and found it really lackluster. After Cooper's appearance in the pilot, they pretty much dropped his somewhat secretive storyline and it just became another, "here is a crime, look at the creative way we solve it" TV show like CSI or NCIS (which I also do not watch). Has it become more than just another police procedural TV show?

-Jason "I can take procedurals when there is a larger story at play, like on The Blacklist (best show on network TV)" Evans

Charlotte! Denver! Super Bowl 50!

Cornelius! Highlands Ranch! Super Bowl 50!

Southpark! Park Meadows! Super Bowl 50!

Queens Road! Cherry Creek Boulevard! Super Bowl 50!

The Jukebox! The Cash Register! Super Bowl 50!

The bronze wheel at Trade and Tryon! Blucifer! Super Bowl 50!

Lake Norman! Lake Dillon! Super Bowl 50!

The Fourth Ward! LoDo! Super Bowl 50!

The South End! Capitol Hill! Super Bowl 50!

USAir! United! Super Bowl 50!

Transplanted Northerners! Transplanted Midwesterners! Super Bowl 50!

ABC stores! Legal pot! Super Bowl 50!

Harris Teeter! King Soopers! Super Bowl 50!

People complaining when it snows! People complaining when it doesn't snow enough! Super Bowl 50!

15 over and you lose your license! Out-of-state tickets don't count! Super Bowl 50!

Uncomfortably close to South Carolina! Uncomfortably close to Wyoming! Super Bowl 50!

Downtown is a glorified office park! Downtown is... uh, a little better! Super Bowl 50!

Denver wins most of these... except they're playing in the one event Denver tends to get blown out of

Topic change... is Limitless any good? I watched the first three or four episodes and found it really lackluster. After Cooper's appearance in the pilot, they pretty much dropped his somewhat secretive storyline and it just became another, "here is a crime, look at the creative way we solve it" TV show like CSI or NCIS (which I also do not watch). Has it become more than just another police procedural TV show?

-Jason "I can take procedurals when there is a larger story at play, like on The Blacklist (best show on network TV)" Evans
    I'm going to rise above 99.99999% of TV talk by not shoving my opinion down anyone's throat. Objective points:

1. There are many shows where a gifted civilian helps a law enforcement agency solve crimes. This is one of those shows. If you are tired of the format and have instituted a personal policy against it, you may not find much about LIMITLESS that makes it worthy of an exception. If you have a place in your heart/DVR for familiar comfort food, maybe try it.

2. Unlike many procedurals, this show maintains a mostly light and playful tone as its default mode. A recent episode had the protagonist use some elaborate self-censorship to shield himself from the violent elements of a crime scene. An earlier episode was a hour of Ferris Bueller references. The show has already stunt-casted the male and female leads' respective love interests from previous TV shows.

3. Bradley Cooper has appeared in 3, maybe 4 episodes so far. His character, the same as in the 2011 movie, is a big part of the show's developing mythology. The show employs a middleman to represent his interests on a weekly basis. So he's there even when he's not.

To share my opinion as neutrally as possible, I find myself enjoying the show as I watch it, but not necessarily looking forward to new episodes. Unlike the 2011 movie and the more recent movie LUCY, I do not find it to be a thought-provoking exercise in understanding the potential of the human brain. I find it works better if I turn off my brain.

That said, when I watch a show, I think about how many seasons it should run to properly complete its main story. And therein lies the paradox: it feels like a 1 or 2 season show, but CBS is not in the business of making short-lived dramas. So my instinct is that I will give up on the show eventually, as I have done with many shows, including THE BLACKLIST.

As Long as Peyton losses I am happy, then I never have to see his face again unless they make him the monday night football guy or something.

Quote Originally Posted by AIRFORCEDUKIE View Post
    As Long as Peyton losses I am happy, then I never have to see his face again unless they make him the monday night football guy or something.
    Wishful thinking...I'd be willing to bet he continues to do commercials for a long time even after he retires.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I voted a lot. I'm not worried about Denver's offense so much (sorry, Peyton) as I am their defense. I think we'll win by at least two TDs.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

If there are football gods .i pray to them to let denver win.i dont think denver can do it with out some Devine intervention.