Shameless Shilling for 'Duke Forward' Events

I attended a terrific Duke Forward program in Denver last night. Dev11 and I got to socialize with 300+ Duke alums. It was a fun event and quite affordable -- evidently highly subsidized by Duke.

The attraction to me was the program. There was a good update by Dick Brodhead, with a few new things to brag about -- the field hockey Final Four and the Nobel Prize in Chemistry (not necessarily in that order). High points for me were the incredible speakers: Duke nursing prof Janet Bettger on a surprising new measure of health and vitality; Brian Hare, prof. of evolutionary biology, on "survival of the friendliest;" and Duke senior Josh Miller on his new start-up company. There are not the same speakers on every program.

I see two more programs on the schedule:
    • Houston on Wednesday, December 09, 2015
    • Los Angeles on Monday, January 25, 2016

There is a bit of a fund-raising pitch, but no direct solicitations.

I encourage the Texans and Southern Californians to attend. I'll check and see if more programs are in the works.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Thanks for this, SageGrouse.

Us mid-size city residents remain envious that DukeForward is rightly prioritizing larger places for these events.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    ...There is a bit of a fund-raising pitch, but no direct solicitations.
    Well, I'm sure it's on the way. We're pen pals with Duke Forward. Endless love notes. Mike Corey, would you like me to forward my mailings?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Well, I'm sure it's on the way. We're pen pals with Duke Forward. Endless love notes. Mike Corey, would you like me to forward my mailings?
    How generous of you

I shall make like Bobby Hurley and pass.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Whether these events happen or not, you're getting lots of solicitation for money, so you might as well enjoy them.

They mentioned to the event ambassadors that Denver is the last planned new city to get a Duke Forward event before the campaign ends next year (2017 maybe, I don't know). I'm glad we got "big city" status because I agree with sage, the event was really well done, and very affordable for those of us who aren't dedicating buildings any time soon. That said, the Dev11 Center for Podcast Excellence will one day be the envy of audiophiles from Durham to Mars.

Credit to sagegrouse for finding me at the event. If you can believe it, he's a pretty nice guy. My mind was busy wandering between the taco bar and the 90 Shillings.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Whether these events happen or not, you're getting lots of solicitation for money, so you might as well enjoy them.
    Oh, absolutely right Dev. I've had one gentleman calling and asking to come over to the house in order to fill us in on the new developments at Duke. I think the scene you described sounds much more mingle worthy.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'