Duke football notes,11-17-15

A somewhat sobering Tuesday.

Cutcliffe announced right away that Terrance Alls, Johnell Barnes and Chris Holmes had been dismissed from the program.

Cut made it clear that Duke football has high standards, that every recruit (and parents) are advised of that during their recruitment and that these three players had failed to live up to those standards.

You may recall that Alls was suspended for the first six games of this season. Barnes and Holmes have not previously been in any public trouble. But Cut made it clear that the dismissals were the result of a continuing pattern, one that Duke had tried to address, without success.

More on the football implications later.

Cutcliffe also announced that he resigned his spot on the NCAA rules committee effective immediately.

I asked him if this was related to the aftermath of the Miami game. He didn't confirm it but he didn't deny it either. And he would have denied it if there was no correlation.

His comments on this were measured but strong. "I made a decision for the best interests of the committee that I wouldn't be able to as good a job as I needed to based on the people I would have to work with. . . . I evaluate every thing I do. . . . I didn't think I could be as effective as I can be."

Sirk and Wilson practiced today but no contact. Protocols will have to be followed. Day-to-day for both.

Sirk and Boehme both getting work at QB this week.

The losing streak? Lots of tape work, long meetings. "I expect results. I expect results immediately because they are correctable mistakes. I'm exciting to see what the result will be. These are times that growth occurs in a program. . . .I don't know why but I've always been able to embrace these challenges without wavering. I think I know exactly what to do."

Alls and Barnes both play wide receiver. Duke still has Max McCaffrey (42 receptions), Anthony Nash (19) and T.J. Rahming (21) as starters. Chris Taylor and Trevon Lee are coming off injuries and practiced today without restrictions. Ryan Smith and Quay Chambers are in the mix.

So, there are options.

DeVon Edwards and Tinashe Bere both said that some of Duke's recent defensive woes have come because players are trying too hard and getting outside the system.

Cutcliffe says they're hearing that from the coaches.

"To play defense, you have to trust. You have to trust the call, have to trust the process, trust the system. There are gaps and when you go someplace you're not supposed to go to try to make a play because you don't think someone else is going to make it, that's when you give up explosive plays."

Duke has worked McCaffrey and Rahming at punt returner this week. Cut cited breakdowns on special teams, not blocking the gunners on punts, not giving Edwards any room on kick-offs.

Boehme got good marks generally for poise and making plays but bad marks for ball security, especially his lost fumble on a fourth-quarter sack. Quarterback 101 Cut called it. "Overall he graded very well. He certainly gave the staff more confidence."

McCaffrey says Boehme throws a very catchable ball, especially on deep routes.

Cut said the young corners--McDuffie, Saxton, Muniz--are practicing well but need to make a better transition from practice to games. He cited excessive caution as a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Cutcliffe announced right away that Terrance Alls, Johnell Barnes and Chris Holmes had been dismissed from the program.

Cut made it clear that Duke football has high standards, that every recruit (and parents) are advised of that during their recruitment and that these three players had failed to live up to those standards.

You may recall that Alls was suspended for the first six games of this season. Barnes and Holmes have not previously been in any public trouble. But Cut made it clear that the dismissals were the result of a continuing pattern, one that Duke had tried to address, without success.

Cutcliffe also announced that he resigned his spot on the NCAA rules committee effective immediately.

I asked him if this was related to the aftermath of the Miami game. He didn't confirm it but he didn't deny it either. And he would have denied it if there was no correlation.

His comments on this were measured but strong. "I made a decision for the best interests of the committee that I wouldn't be able to as good a job as I needed to based on the people I would have to work with. . . . I evaluate every thing I do. . . . I didn't think I could be as effective as I can be."

Sirk and Wilson practiced today but no contact. Protocols will have to be followed. Day-to-day for both.

The losing streak? Lots of tape work, long meetings. "I expect results. I expect results immediately because they are correctable mistakes. I'm exciting to see what the result will be. These are times that growth occurs in a program. . . .I don't know why but I've always been able to embrace these challenges without wavering. I think I know exactly what to do."

Alls and Barnes both play wide receiver. Duke still has Max McCaffrey (42 receptions), Anthony Nash (19) and T.J. Rahming (21) as starters. Chris Taylor and Trevon Lee are coming off injuries and practiced today without restrictions. Ryan Smith and Quay Chambers are in the mix.

So, there are options.

DeVon Edwards and Tinashe Bere both said that some of Duke's recent defensive woes have come because players are trying too hard and getting outside the system.

"To play defense, you have to trust. You have to trust the call, have to trust the process, trust the system. There are gaps and when you go someplace you're not supposed to go to try to make a play because you don't think someone else is going to make it, that's when you give up explosive plays."

Duke has worked McCaffrey and Rahming at punt returner this week. Cut cited breakdowns on special teams, not blocking the gunners on punts, not giving Edwards any room on kick-offs.

Boehme got good marks generally for poise and making plays but bad marks for ball security, especially his lost fumble on a fourth-quarter sack. Quarterback 101 Cut called it. "Overall he graded very well. He certainly gave the staff more confidence."

Cut said the young corners--McDuffie, Saxton, Muniz--are practicing well but need to make a better transition from practice to games. He cited excessive caution as a problem.
    Sobering, yes. However, I read this report and feel renewed hope, continuing to trust the process.

BTW Am I remembering correctly that Barnes was involved in a fight at a night club a couple of years back? A Duke lacrosse player was the other person involved.

So, there are options.

Thanks, Jim. I trust in Cut and his system. Go Duke.

Thanks again for these notes, Jim.

This is a bit of potentially good news. At a minimum, Sirk and Wilson being available to play increases depth. With our sudden depth issues at wide receiver, Wilson could be used split outside or in the slot. "Spring" practice reports included Wilson seeing action in that type of role.

I'm salivating at the possibility of seeing the full house backfield with Powell, Duncan and Wilson as the three running backs. The thought of Wilson running outside the tackle with Jela Duncan as his lead blocker is exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    BTW Am I remembering correctly that Barnes was involved in a fight at a night club a couple of years back? A Duke lacrosse player was the other person involved.
    Yes, you are remembering correctly.
    Bob Green