Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gaming Advice

Currently going between DC and Greensboro, NC
    Another suggestion: the Deus Ex series is a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeHoo View Post
    Another suggestion: the Deus Ex series is a lot of fun.
    The original is my favorite game of all time and it's not even a close contest. I've heard from people who didn't play it around the time of release that they have trouble getting over the dated graphics, but obviously no such complaints for Human Revolution.

Yeah, I have lots of fond memories of the older Deus Ex games. I had trouble getting into the newer one, but I can't recall why. My backlog is a fearsome thing.

If others really want to get into the Souls games, while Dark Souls 1 is pretty much the consensus among the community for the "best" game, I'd recommend Bloodborne. The faster gameplay, to me, is more fun for a newer player. Also, the setting is more interesting. None of those games has conventional storytelling, but Bloodborne also has a "twist" that positions even its seemingly traditional gothic horror setting as a setup to something weirder. And it was cheap over the holidays. Not sure if the price has gone back up, but it was around $20.

For the request for recommendations upstream, what system do you have? I don't think you mentioned, and some things I might recommend are for PS3 or PS4. For example, I love all the Telltale games, and many of them are or were free with PS+, so if you have that, I'd definitely take a look and see if you like them.

I know the OP decided on a game, but if you're interested in, say, CoD, but don't want to have to play a billion games, I really liked Spec Ops: The Line. Your mileage may vary on the gameplay, but the story and music are fantastic.

I play a lot of games (though not as much as I'd like), but mainly in horror, RPG, action/adventure categories. So, can't recommend a ton of shooters, especially not FPS, due to some motion sickness. The exception would be that I'd recommend Dead Space 1 and 2. And if you're susceptible to motion sickness, these games won't be too bad for you, since they're almost all played on ships with level surfaces.

Also, topically with The Force Awakens, while no longer canon, the first Force Unleashed was a really fun game with a great story.

I loved "The Force Unleashed", though I recognize it wasn't the best game ever made.

I am soon to finally be (man, I hope) finishing up Bloodborne. But I'm kind of stymied on what to play next, while waiting for Dark Soul III. I got a bunch of games for Christmas, but I don't know...

Does anyone have any recent games they'd recommend? Heck, you can probably recommend older games, too, since my backlog includes easily 100+ games, some still in the wrapper! In my defense, some date back to when I was in the industry, and my company paid for all my games.

I have pretty much all the systems except the XOne and the Wii-U (though when my home improvement expenses are done, I may buy one, just for Bayonetta 2 and Fatal Frame 5). I do have most handheld systems, but I'm pretty set on what I'm playing, with regard to those.

I kind of don't want a hugely lengthy open world game, as my work load is such right now that I just can't put hundreds of hours into it. And I'd probably gravitate toward PS3/4 games, as my original Xbox is hanging out with the 360 and PS2 in my closet for the next month or so.

Generally, I tend to like most genres, with the exception of FPS (except in some cases) and fighting games (which I like but am terrible at; also, my fight stick is also in the closet). I'm most interested in story, but strong gameplay makes up for story and vice versa. I love horror, but since no publishers other than Capcom do, I probably have played most of those games, though Until Dawn is languishing in my backlog. But action, RPG, some platforming games, story-driven (I think I have all the Telltale games, but only played a few), some puzzle games (I have Talos Principle unopened), etc. are all genres I have enjoyed.

It's just been so long since I played a non-Bloodborne game, I'm really stymied as to what's good. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Edit: also, while I generally dislike multiplayer, I don't mind cooperative co-op, so if any of you guys ever wants to do some, shoot me a PM; I am also willing to help people earn trophies, if anyone cares about that kind of thing.

When you get your PS2 out, I'd recommend Radiata Stories. I loved that game.

I also love all the Zelda games, but those are on nintendo of course.

I liked the Infamous games, Red Dead Redemption, and the Walking Dead Season 1 and 2. Thief is kind of a cool stealth/horror game. I also loved the Arkham games and the Mass Effect games, but you've probably already played those. Last of Us is great for story, but you've probably played that. Heavy Rain?

For anyone who likes logic puzzles, I would very strongly recommend The Witness, which just came out.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01/...witness-review

But let me emphasize: *logic* puzzles. It mostly consists of wandering around an island, figuring out how various kinds of puzzles work as you see them in different environments, and then solving them. Once you know how a kind of puzzle works, it's often sort of Sudoku-type flavor but much more creative and varied. The game has some similarities with Myst but is more logic-focused and there's almost no story. If that still sounds appealing, it's a beautiful and relaxing environment with really cool puzzles, and I recommend it highly.

I've also heard Monster Hunter is very similar to Souls games, but haven't tried that one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I liked the Infamous games, Red Dead Redemption, and the Walking Dead Season 1 and 2. Thief is kind of a cool stealth/horror game. I also loved the Arkham games and the Mass Effect games, but you've probably already played those. Last of Us is great for story, but you've probably played that. Heavy Rain?
    Hmm, I think I've played all of those except Thief; I wasn't very fond of the older PC games, but if you think it's really good, maybe I'll give it a go. I'm sure I can get it for cheap these days.

My roommate and I loved all the Infamous games (yeah, even the new one). Weirdly, I found it very hard to get any traction with Last of Us whatsoever. Everyone loves it, but one day, I put it down and was never motivated to pick it back up. Maybe I will give it another try. Heavy Rain was fun while I was playing it, but hilariously illogical when I thought about it afterwards. That one scene in some store, where the killer calls the detective... man, that was some Bugs Bunny logic. Even with that, it was more logically sound than their previous game, Indigo Prophecy!

I think Red Dead Redemption (I'd have to start over again, since it's been years since I played it) and the Arkham games I haven't played might be too much commitment for me. I mean, if I weren't so retentive about having to get every single collectible or whatever, it would probably be okay. But I am, so...

Quote Originally Posted by darthur View Post
    For anyone who likes logic puzzles, I would very strongly recommend The Witness, which just came out. (snip)

I've also heard Monster Hunter is very similar to Souls games, but haven't tried that one myself.
    That sounds like an interesting game. I will check it out.

Yeah, I've seen the comparison of Monster Hunter to Souls games on message boards, but except for the fact that you fight well, giant monsters, I don't think they're that similar. I mean, clearly, Monster Hunter also rewards skillful play (there are some crazy challenge runs out there on youtube!), but I honestly don't think the audiences overlap significantly outside of Japan.

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I'll probably give Thief and The Witness a look-see. Much appreciated!

How about Shadow of Colossus, but that's PS2 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Doria View Post
    I am soon to finally be (man, I hope) finishing up Bloodborne. But I'm kind of stymied on what to play next, while waiting for Dark Soul III. I got a bunch of games for Christmas, but I don't know...

Does anyone have any recent games they'd recommend? Heck, you can probably recommend older games, too, since my backlog includes easily 100+ games, some still in the wrapper! In my defense, some date back to when I was in the industry, and my company paid for all my games.

I have pretty much all the systems except the XOne and the Wii-U (though when my home improvement expenses are done, I may buy one, just for Bayonetta 2 and Fatal Frame 5). I do have most handheld systems, but I'm pretty set on what I'm playing, with regard to those.

I kind of don't want a hugely lengthy open world game, as my work load is such right now that I just can't put hundreds of hours into it. And I'd probably gravitate toward PS3/4 games, as my original Xbox is hanging out with the 360 and PS2 in my closet for the next month or so.

Generally, I tend to like most genres, with the exception of FPS (except in some cases) and fighting games (which I like but am terrible at; also, my fight stick is also in the closet). I'm most interested in story, but strong gameplay makes up for story and vice versa. I love horror, but since no publishers other than Capcom do, I probably have played most of those games, though Until Dawn is languishing in my backlog. But action, RPG, some platforming games, story-driven (I think I have all the Telltale games, but only played a few), some puzzle games (I have Talos Principle unopened), etc. are all genres I have enjoyed.

It's just been so long since I played a non-Bloodborne game, I'm really stymied as to what's good. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Edit: also, while I generally dislike multiplayer, I don't mind cooperative co-op, so if any of you guys ever wants to do some, shoot me a PM; I am also willing to help people earn trophies, if anyone cares about that kind of thing.

I will say this for everyone who asks for a game to play. The Last of Us for PS4/PS3. As for horror game, have you tried Outlast? It puts a different twist in the horror genre.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Hmm, I think I've played all of those except Thief; I wasn't very fond of the older PC games, but if you think it's really good, maybe I'll give it a go. I'm sure I can get it for cheap these days.

My roommate and I loved all the Infamous games (yeah, even the new one). Weirdly, I found it very hard to get any traction with Last of Us whatsoever. Everyone loves it, but one day, I put it down and was never motivated to pick it back up. Maybe I will give it another try. Heavy Rain was fun while I was playing it, but hilariously illogical when I thought about it afterwards. That one scene in some store, where the killer calls the detective... man, that was some Bugs Bunny logic. Even with that, it was more logically sound than their previous game, Indigo Prophecy!

I think Red Dead Redemption (I'd have to start over again, since it's been years since I played it) and the Arkham games I haven't played might be too much commitment for me. I mean, if I weren't so retentive about having to get every single collectible or whatever, it would probably be okay. But I am, so...

That sounds like an interesting game. I will check it out.

Yeah, I've seen the comparison of Monster Hunter to Souls games on message boards, but except for the fact that you fight well, giant monsters, I don't think they're that similar. I mean, clearly, Monster Hunter also rewards skillful play (there are some crazy challenge runs out there on youtube!), but I honestly don't think the audiences overlap significantly outside of Japan.

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I'll probably give Thief and The Witness a look-see. Much appreciated!
    I forgot about Uncharted. I LOVED all the Uncharted games, and I think they are pretty strong on story.

Actually, I forgot about Uncharted, also. I have at least the first one or two. I didn't know they were strong on story, but that makes me more interested for sure.

I got the new Mad Max game as a gift for Valentine's Day, too!

(bjornolf, I completed Shadow of the Colossus on PS2. I do have the HD remaster, along with Ico, but I haven't played it again. I think I spent quite a bit of time on it originally; I was pretty bad at it.)

Generally, I tend to like most genres, with the exception of FPS (except in some cases) and fighting games (which I like but am terrible at; also, my fight stick is also in the closet).
    If you haven't played fighting games in a while, you might want to give one of the two most recent Mortal Kombat games a try. They have low time commitment, story mode to keep you engaged, variable difficulty, and (in my experience at least) the controls are fairly intuitive if you played the original games on Genesis (with Blast Processing!) or that inferior, fun-sanitized console some people refer to as SNES.

Dug into the archives to resurrect this post.

If you haven't played Red Dead Redemption 2, you are missing out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

I maintain that one of the great missed opportunities in the original (and theoretically in the sequel) was not allowing the player to unlock the GTA weapons (by beating the game? Completing challenges/sidequests? somehow). The idea of rolling through Thieve's Landing on horseback firing a rocket launcher is pure gold.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention

Loved RDR. Haven’t quite warmed the same way to RDR2. Feels like everything is just a little harder to do and maybe a little too serious.

Maybe I sold it short.

How would you compare the two?

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I maintain that one of the great missed opportunities in the original (and theoretically in the sequel) was not allowing the player to unlock the GTA weapons (by beating the game? Completing challenges/sidequests? somehow). The idea of rolling through Thieve's Landing on horseback firing a rocket launcher is pure gold.
    Did you ever play the Undead Nightmare expansion?

I could ignite zombies for hours riding War’s flaming steed.

Wow, never pictured MtDevil as a gamer. Never judge a book and all that.

RDR2 is a great game.

I loved assassin's Creed until about the 3rs or 4th, one, then they just started seeming repetitive, and cheesy.

I played GTA5 religiously, on PS3.
    When I switched over to PS4 a few years ago, I lost all my progress and lost interest in the game. The new one is supposed to come out soon, so I'll probably get back into it.

Right now, I only play NBA2k(only have time to dedicate to one game at a time), and it has a story mode now, plus you can play 3 on 3 against real users, 5 on 5 at the rec center against real users, etc. It's come a long way. Be warned, the online community is toxic. Find you some buddies of like minded game play and team up in party chat.

I played battlefield 5 for while. Bunch of guys I went to high school with that I used to game with were really into it, so it gave us a chance to reconnect, and relive the glory days from time to time. Nothing like grown men playing a video game and their wives coming in to tell them dinner is ready so get off that game.😂

I’m in the middle of God of War. It’s excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    Loved RDR. Haven’t quite warmed the same way to RDR2. Feels like everything is just a little harder to do and maybe a little too serious.

Maybe I sold it short.

How would you compare the two?
    It is more serious for certain. Well, with some exceptions (YNNEL!). But, it's also immersive on a level I haven't experienced since SkyRim. Actions have consequences, the story feels epic and sweeping, the dialogue is very good...
    Early on in the game, a member of the gang is explaining to a woman in danger who has been saved from rogues "we're bad men, but we're not THOSE men."
    The levels of detail and nuance in the game are stunning. I can't remember the last time I finished a game and immediately started it back up again.
    To your point about "harder" - I am far from a regular or serious gamer. The controls took me awhile to get used to, but I got the gist pretty quickly. A few things are less intuitive than I would like, but most are pretty quick and dirty.