Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gaming Advice

Back to the top. I have played Skyrim more hours than I want to admit (not just lazy, wife has had health problems) and I would love some advice on what to play next. Everything I pick up and fool with seems really disappointing in comparison.

Playing on a PS3 - other Skyrim fans, please advise.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Back to the top. I have played Skyrim more hours than I want to admit (not just lazy, wife has had health problems) and I would love some advice on what to play next. Everything I pick up and fool with seems really disappointing in comparison.

Thanks!
    Batman Arkham games? The Last of Us? Walking Dead Season One and Two, IF you like TWD.

Thief or MGS if you like stealth.

Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite?

Picked up Last of Us - haven't dug in much yet.

I keep hearing Dark Souls 2 is good. Anyone have experience?

Picked up Last of Us - haven't dug in much yet.

I know I am sounding like a broken record but play The Last of Us all the way through. Greatest story mode probably ever written. Fun online play as well. Don't know about Dark Souls 2 but the 1st was good.

If you like Skyrim you would like Witcher but idk if that is on ps3
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

I got Second Son on the PS4 for Christmas.

Highly recommend Infamous and Infamous 2.

Gameplay a bit repetitive and still a lot of fun.

Thanks!
    I'd tell you to get Witcher 3, but it's not available on the PS3.

I guess the question you need to answer is are you into story or does the mindless shooting of things make your day?

If you love a great story then your choice of The Last of Us will be a very rewarding experience for you.

If you're into FPS, then Black Ops kept my 10 yr old quite happy until he started playing Dying Light, which has been his go to game lately. There's something special for some people in knifing a zombie in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    I'd tell you to get Witcher 3, but it's not available on the PS3.

I guess the question you need to answer is are you into story or does the mindless shooting of things make your day?

If you love a great story then your choice of The Last of Us will be a very rewarding experience for you.

If you're into FPS, then Black Ops kept my 10 yr old quite happy until he started playing Dying Light, which has been his go to game lately. There's something special for some people in knifing a zombie in the face.
    I really most enjoy the unique, quiet, wandering aspect of Skyrim. Story is fine. Not attached to FPS. I like that when I play, my wife usually falls asleep next to me listening to orchestral scores and horses clip-clopping rather than explosions and zombies.

I like that I can spend hours concocting potions.

I like that you can really just set your own pace.

I really most enjoy the unique, quiet, wandering aspect of Skyrim. Story is fine. Not attached to FPS. I like that when I play, my wife usually falls asleep next to me listening to orchestral scores and horses clip-clopping rather than explosions and zombies.

First, let me say that you really, really need to upgrade to a new console. If you can swing it do so, since many of the game makers are moving away from last gen consoles due to their constraints.

Since you're not a FPS type then let me throw this out there for you. Dragon Age: Inquisition. I managed close to two months worth of play out of it along with the first DLC. Of the three Dragon Age games, I'd rate this one in the middle.

As far as your wife goes, definitely have her sit with you and watch you while you play The Last of Us. I promise you she'll tear up several times.

First, let me say that you really, really need to upgrade to a new console. If you can swing it do so, since many of the game makers are moving away from last gen consoles due to their constraints.

Since you're not a FPS type then let me throw this out there for you. Dragon Age: Inquisition. I managed close to two months worth of play out of it along with the first DLC. Of the three Dragon Age games, I'd rate this one in the middle.

As far as your wife goes, definitely have her sit with you and watch you while you play The Last of Us. I promise you she'll tear up several times.

Ahh good one right there in Dragon Age I'd say try that if you liked Elder Scrolls.

He is also right about having your wife watch TLOU. I first saw someone play before I bought myself. My cousin bought it day 1 when it came out and played it a home while I and his mom watched (I had surgery and was out of work for a bit). Let's just say after 15 minutes my aunt had to take a break from watching because of how emotional she felt watching. It truly is a good story
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

I love all the games from these guys, but Dark Souls 2 is probably the least liked game in the series.

I would recommend Dark Souls 1 or Bloodborne instead if you want to give the series a shot. They are action-heavy and are very challenging, so be warned though. The plots are interesting but there isn't much exposition - you have to piece it together yourself if you are interested.

Well, I'm a late adopter. Just got the PS3 about four months ago... LOL, unlikely to drop $500 on a new system.

Quote Originally Posted by darthur View Post
    I love all the games from these guys, but Dark Souls 2 is probably the least liked game in the series.

I would recommend Dark Souls 1 or Bloodborne instead if you want to give the series a shot. They are action-heavy and are very challenging, so be warned though. The plots are interesting but there isn't much exposition - you have to piece it together yourself if you are interested.
    Yes, the Souls games are very unforgiving. I lost two contollers to Demon's Souls, as they tend to break when you throw them.
    Last edited by ncexnyc; 01-05-2016 at 07:06 PM.

Based on this comment I think there are two qualities here that stand out in a game you like: (1) open-world and (2) player-defined player character. What I mean by number two is that although there is selectable text dialogue, there is no spoken or acted dialogue by the player character. Essentially, your thoughts are the character's thoughts. These two qualities combine very well to create that "set your own pace", do-your-own-thing, immersive kind of game.

Other games I can think of that have that experience are the previous Elder Scrolls games, which are now dated but you might find tolerable as a late adopter (they hold up fine for me). The Fallout games (3 & New Vegas) also definitely have that feel but will involve a fair amount of explosions. I haven't played Fallout 4 (which is supposed to be good) but it loses some of that experience because apparently it molds your character into more of a set persona.

Dragon Age (I've only played the first) has less of the open world quality but is still pretty close. It is also similar in the way it treats the main character but focuses a lot on interactions with other story characters. It's different, but probably worth a shot for you. Also by BioWare are the absolutely great KoToR games (Star Wars) but they would definitely show their age at this point.

I don't play a lot of games anymore so I can't think of other recent examples, but if you go to a game review site and search "open-world" and "rpg" I'm sure there will be other good examples. Maybe Assassin's Creed? I've only played the first which is supposedly considered to be the worst. I think I've probably just rehashed earlier suggestions but they really are good games.

I appreciate your response, and I think your take is accurate on what I find enjoyable.

Wish Morrowind was available on PS3. Purchased Oblivion, and find it simplistic. I keep running across Fallout and may have to check it out.

In the meantime, Elder Scrolls downloadable content will get me through.

Thanks for all the thoughtful posts! Getting back into gaming after 15 years away, Skyrim just rocks my socks. Guess I will probably upgrade systems whenever Elder Scrolls 6 comes out.

If you like Westerns at all, I loved Red Dead Redemption. You can do a lot of wandering in that.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    If you like Westerns at all, I loved Red Dead Redemption. You can do a lot of wandering in that.
    I second this. I forgot to recommend it because my Xbox 360 melted a few hours in.

I appreciate your response, and I think your take is accurate on what I find enjoyable.

Wish Morrowind was available on PS3. Purchased Oblivion, and find it simplistic. I keep running across Fallout and may have to check it out.

In the meantime, Elder Scrolls downloadable content will get me through.

Thanks for all the thoughtful posts! Getting back into gaming after 15 years away, Skyrim just rocks my socks. Guess I will probably upgrade systems whenever Elder Scrolls 6 comes out.
    As a Skyrim addict, I am very close to pulling the trigger to get an XBox One so I can play Fallout 4.

The two best things I've heard about Fallout 4: "Its a lot like Skyrim in a lot of ways." And: "Everyone I know who has gotten Fallout 4 either really loves it or I haven't heard from them since they got it because they are totally sucked into it."

Hi,
    I am also have same problem as could not time to play because of work, kids and other works. But now I get time to play as one of my friend suggested me to send my kids to a preschool so that at that time I can play and after that can look after my family and work. I started paying new games only, as I had not played really at all for last 8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by LisaThomas View Post
    Hi,
    I am also have same problem as could not time to play because of work, kids and other works. But now I get time to play as one of my friend suggested me to send my kids to a preschool so that at that time I can play and after that can look after my family and work. I started paying new games only, as I had not played really at all for last 8 years.
    Most of the suggestions will probably be repeats of the earlier ones (they're all top 10 games from the last several years), but if you let us know what types you like maybe someone can make a specific recommendation.

Currently going between DC and Greensboro, NC
    I would like to also recommend Witcher 3. My girlfriend and I both easily put over 150 hours into that game (and had to fight over my desktop at points). It has a very well designed open world with some excellent characters and quests ("Family Matters" is a particular highlight). The other Witcher games are also very good, though Witcher 1's gameplay has not aged particularly well and has a very slow first act.

If you haven't played games in a really long time, the Portal games are also worth a play. They aren't the most difficult puzzle games, but they have some great voice acting and a lot of humor.

As for Fallout, I'd put New Vegas over 3 and 4 (especially if you put story over action).

Borderlands 2 is a lot of fun, and has one of my favorite video game villains in Handsome Jack. There isn't much story in the game however.