Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gaming Advice

Gaming Advice

Hi all,

Writing with a request for advice. I used to be a very active gamer, but for various reasons (kids, work, life), have not played really at all for last 10 years. I'm interested in getting back into it now. Have a PS3 and a PS4.

I'm more interested in stories than action, although like a mix of both. Will play much more single player than multiplayer. Have a list of games/series that I'd like to play including

- Elder scrolls
    - Dragon Age
    - GTA
    - CoD
    - Uncharted
    - Assassins Creed
    - Batman Arkham
    - Fallout

Here's the question. How far back should I go? Where to start? Should I just play new games that come out from here on and start with Fallout 4? Should I go back and play some or all of the older ones? I'm concerned that if I try to go back too far, I will never catch up and there is an overwhelming number of titles.

Are games generally getting better and better (which would argue for newer ones only) ?

Thanks for any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Hi all,

Writing with a request for advice. I used to be a very active gamer, but for various reasons (kids, work, life), have not played really at all for last 10 years. I'm interested in getting back into it now. Have a PS3 and a PS4.

I'm more interested in stories than action, although like a mix of both. Will play much more single player than multiplayer. Have a list of games/series that I'd like to play including

- Elder scrolls
    - Dragon Age
    - GTA
    - CoD
    - Uncharted
    - Assassins Creed
    - Batman Arkham
    - Fallout

Here's the question. How far back should I go? Where to start? Should I just play new games that come out from here on and start with Fallout 4? Should I go back and play some or all of the older ones? I'm concerned that if I try to go back too far, I will never catch up and there is an overwhelming number of titles.

Are games generally getting better and better (which would argue for newer ones only) ?

Thanks for any advice.
    Eternal kid here, and we have some similar tastes!

I have an XBOX 360 and have enjoyed, from your list, Elder Scrolls Oblivion and Skyrim, as well as Assassins Creed 2, Brotherhood, Black Flag, and Rogue. I am currently pondering (trying to find an excuse for) buying an XBox One, and Fallout 4 seems like that excuse. I've also done plenty of first person shooter action on the XBOX 360, but that's mainly playing with my wife, who prefers the shooters to the RPGs.

As far as Elder Scrolls, Oblivion has a phenomenal story but the graphics, voice acting, and some of the combat are just incredibly dated. I don't replay it much, but I enjoyed it for a long time when it first came out. Skyrim is simply the best fantasy-setting RPG I've ever played, and I've enjoyed playing and replaying it since it came out 4 years ago. You can get Skyrim on the XBox One, so if you're looking to buy a console for going forward and you don't mind missing out on some old games, I'd consider getting the XBox One and Skyrim and Fallout 4 and be in geek heaven for the next two years.

To me, Assassins Creed went downhill slowly over time. Assassins Creed 2 is still my favorite, but that may be simply because you get to explore Venice, and there's nothing like Venice. As far as I know, AC2 is not available on the XBox One.

Call of Duty is a great series. My favorite was CoD 2: Modern Warfare, which is not available on the XBox One, but the more recent CoD games (Modern Warfare 3, Black Ops, Black Ops 2, Ghost) have all been great fun, and I am looking forward to getting Black Ops 3 whenever I decide to spend the money on the XBox One.

Hope that helps a little.

don't forget "RAGE"...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Hi all,

- Elder scrolls
    - Dragon Age
    - GTA
    - CoD
    - Uncharted
    - Assassins Creed
    - Batman Arkham
    - Fallout

Thanks for any advice.
    I am in a similar position to you. I play a little every once in a while, mostly with my 12 year old son, but not nearly as much as I used to.

I enjoyed the Elder Scrolls games. Loved Oblivion, just starting Skyrim.

Just finishing up Arkham Asylum and starting Arkham City. Loving those, would start from the beginning.

Absolutely fell in love with the Uncharted series. They're like playing a blockbuster trilogy of movies, sort of an Indiana Jones meets a first person shooter. Awesome, but I'd definitely start from the first one. It really would be like watching only Indy and the Final Crusade.

Fallout is good, but I started with 3.

The Infamous games are fun. Lots of major choices.

For story, the Bioshock games, 1 and 3 anyways, are hard to beat.

If you like space operas where your choices matter, the Mass Effect series is on playstation now and is incredible. Visuals AND story.

The new Tomb Raider games have good stories too.

I've always been a sony guy, but we recently got a xbox one. I've been playing the remastered Halo Master Chief Collection. I just finished 1 and am starting 2. Halo really is unbelievabke, though story is secondary to game play. Don't get me wrong, the story is solid, and there's a great twist, but it's not totally amazing. If you do go the Halo route, make sure to find all the terminals. They REALLY add to the story.
    Last edited by bjornolf; 11-16-2015 at 02:16 PM.

I recently knew I was going to be spending a chunk of month caretaking and being at home. I got a PS3 and several games.

All I needed to get was Skyrim. I am a poor enough gamer that I could probably play for a few hours a day for an entire year and have more to do.

The gameplay is so immersive, options are amazingly diverse, and the hundreds of miniquests provide amazing opportunities to follow your nose and wander the massive landscape.

I heartily recommend it as a starting place for someone just getting back into games. Tons of fun.

Hi all,

- Elder scrolls
    - Dragon Age
    - GTA
    - CoD
    - Uncharted
    - Assassins Creed
    - Batman Arkham
    - Fallout

Thanks for any advice.
    You say you're a story person, well if that's the case then you really should take, "The Last of Us" for a spin. It's pretty much a linear game, but the story is really awesome.

Dragon Age: Inquisition is another fairly linear game, but if you're new to the series I think you'd be better served starting with Dragon Age: Origins. The graphics will come over as a bit dated, but you're looking for a solid story.

I've played both Oblivion and Skyrim. Both are excellent games however they can be a bit open ended and it's easy to get sidetracked.

I don't see Witcher 3 on you list, but from the people I know who've played it they all rave about it.

The game my son and I have been playing these last 14 months is called Destiny. Now saying we've played that long would lead you to believe it's a great game, well think again. The story is absolutely horrid. It has awesome gunplay mechanics, but the grinding in this game is on a par with MMO's. This game was actually modeled after Vegas studies on gambling addiction, seems they did a good job.

Tonight afterwork I stop by Game Stop and pick up my son's birthday present which is a PS4, along with the new Battlefront game. With the new console on hand I'll probably get around to buying Witcher 3, as well as Divinity: Original Sin another game I heard great things about.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    You say you're a story person, well if that's the case then you really should take, "The Last of Us" for a spin. It's pretty much a linear game, but the story is really awesome.

Dragon Age: Inquisition is another fairly linear game, but if you're new to the series I think you'd be better served starting with Dragon Age: Origins. The graphics will come over as a bit dated, but you're looking for a solid story.

I've played both Oblivion and Skyrim. Both are excellent games however they can be a bit open ended and it's easy to get sidetracked.

I don't see Witcher 3 on you list, but from the people I know who've played it they all rave about it.

The game my son and I have been playing these last 14 months is called Destiny. Now saying we've played that long would lead you to believe it's a great game, well think again. The story is absolutely horrid. It has awesome gunplay mechanics, but the grinding in this game is on a par with MMO's. This game was actually modeled after Vegas studies on gambling addiction, seems they did a good job.

Tonight afterwork I stop by Game Stop and pick up my son's birthday present which is a PS4, along with the new Battlefront game. With the new console on hand I'll probably get around to buying Witcher 3, as well as Divinity: Original Sin another game I heard great things about.
    Witcher 3 and Divinity: Original Sin are both getting great reviews. Witcher 3 is supposed to be more of an open world, more akin to Skyrim in that style, while Divinity is a turn based, party RPG that you can multiplayer with friends (NOT as an online MMORPG). Both look really appealing. Given limited time, I'll probably see if Santa will put an Xbox One with Fallout 4 and CoD Black Ops 3 under the tree...then perhaps move to the others from there.

It's a good time to be a gamer. Anyone as old as me, remembering when the Apple IIe came out and something called Wizardry 2 ruled your world? Fight Fight Fight, Parry Parry Tiltowait!

Hi all,

I'm more interested in stories than action, although like a mix of both.
    Will play much more single player than multiplayer. Have a list of games/series that I'd like to play including

- Elder scrolls
    - Dragon Age
    - GTA
    - CoD
    - Uncharted
    - Assassins Creed
    - Batman Arkham
    - Fallout

Thanks for any advice.

Omg then I have the most prefect game that was made for peole just like you. The Last of Us is the name and it's playstation exclusive. The 360 wasn't powerful enough to run it and ps3 just barely. Is wondrous on the ps4, and you can even buy the beautiful soundtrack. There is a reason this game is listed as one of the top 5 games ever created and many people want it turned into a movie.

All I can say is give it a shot. Never heard of anyone being disappointed in it. Game goes back in forth from watching short clips that make you feel a wide variety of emotions and then throws you back into the game play. Generally takes 12 to 16 hours of game play to beat so medium length.

Also looking at your list I'd say avoid CoD unless you play the older ones (MW2 and before). Uncharted should be a must as is Fallout. Elder Scrolls is amazing but takes a whole lot of time to beat (100+ hours) so be considerate of hiw mich time you have to spend on a single game. Also Creed is good and I am not a fan of the Batman games but have heard good things.

Try in order: TLoU, Uncharted, Fallout and Creed

PS I didn't mention GTA cause I saw you mentioned kids. It's a great game but make sure no kids will ever be around. The obvious drugs, sex, violence, major and minor crimes, gangs, language, alcohol and prob a few other things are in high abundance
    Last edited by JNort; 11-16-2015 at 08:37 PM.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post

Also a great game with a great story but again you are looking at a lot of time on one game. Heard of people who are still playing and have logged close to 250 hours
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

"Gaming Advice..."

Dang - I thought I would have to follow the NY AG's lead and shut this thread down...

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    "Gaming Advice..."

Dang - I thought I would have to follow the NY AG's lead and shut this thread down...

-jk
    That thread is for another day my friend.

I just hope all you semi-grown up gamers have raked all the leaves, mulched the garden beds and cleaned out the garage before indulging.

Seriously, take your spouses/partners out to dinner, too.

The nerve.........
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post

It's a good time to be a gamer. Anyone as old as me, remembering when the Apple IIe came out and something called Wizardry 2 ruled your world? Fight Fight Fight, Parry Parry Tiltowait!
    Cut my teeth on an Apple II+

My absolute favorite games of all time (still) are Ultima IV and V. Just incredibly great games. Played a lot of Wizardry and Bard's Tale as well. And all of the Lucasarts stuff like Monkey Island and Grim Fandango,

I had an Amiga and an intellivision. I remember the commodore 64, but was a little too young when it first came out. I used Apple IIe at school, but we didn't have one. I miss arcades though.

I saw your reference to GTA and kids. I have the Last of Us, but haven't gotten to it yet. My understanding was that it wasn't too kid friendly either. Again, I haven't played it, just going by what I heard.

If you're a TWD fan and don't have kids young enough for nightmares, the two seasons of the walking dead have incredible stories that shouldn't be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I had an Amiga and an intellivision. I remember the commodore 64, but was a little too young when it first came out. I used Apple IIe at school, but we didn't have one. I miss arcades though.

I saw your reference to GTA and kids. I have the Last of Us, but haven't gotten to it yet. My understanding was that it wasn't too kid friendly either. Again, I haven't played it, just going by what I heard.

If you're a TWD fan and don't have kids young enough for nightmares, the two seasons of the walking dead have incredible stories that shouldn't be missed.
    Yeah I forgot TLOU isn't the most kid friendly either. Nothing like GTA though. TLoU is honestly just a much better version of TWD

Thanks all -- a lot of really helpful suggestions. While I do have kids, I won't do all of my gaming with them --- so The Last of Us and GTA can definitely be in the mix (for late night with headphones )

Any other ideas or recs would be great.

Hi all,

- Elder scrolls
    - Dragon Age
    - GTA
    - CoD
    - Uncharted
    - Assassins Creed
    - Batman Arkham
    - Fallout

Thanks for any advice.
    I've played several of the games in these series and they're all terrific, but Fallout and The Elder Scrolls are really part of a tier unto themselves. I'm going to slightly disagree with some other posters and say that you should play some earlier games in the series before going on to play The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim or Fallout 4.

If you haven't played in ten years, you might not be so bothered by the (now) inferior graphics quality of TES IV: Oblivion (to be honest, as a formerly-hardcore but now only occasional gamer, I don't mind dated graphics - I'd say go all the way back to TES III: Morrowind). For Fallout, play Fallout 3 and/or New Vegas. While it's not necessary for understanding or enjoying the in-game story, particularly in Fallout's case, it helps to understand the world that you're playing in - which is an enormous part of what makes both series great, similar to how the original Star Wars trilogy laid a foundation for an enormous and immersive extended universe (substitute any great fantasy/sci-fi epic of choice). Plus, you can pick up the previous Elder Scrolls & Fallout games very cheaply, either used for a console or downloaded (likely on sale) through Steam on a PC.
    Last edited by BLPOG; 11-17-2015 at 04:49 PM. Reason: omitted a word

LucasArts, eh?

Cut my teeth on an Apple II+

My absolute favorite games of all time (still) are Ultima IV and V. Just incredibly great games. Played a lot of Wizardry and Bard's Tale as well. And all of the Lucasarts stuff like Monkey Island and Grim Fandango,
    What about Day of the Tentacle?

(Kang and Kodos show off the amenities on their spaceship.)
    Kang: And over here is our crowning achievement in amusement technology: an electronic version of what you call table tennis.
    (Kang shows off a video screen that features the vintage video game Pong.)
    Kang: Your primitive paddles have been replaced by an electronic--
    Bart: Hey, that's just Pong. Get with the times, man.
    Homer: Marge and I played that old game before we were married.
    Kang: Well, we did build this spaceship, you know.
    Kodos: Anyone from a species that has mastered intergalactic travel, raise your hand.
    (Kang and Kodos each raise a tentacle. Bart raises his hand, but Homer slaps it down.)
    Kodos: All right, then.
    Marge: Sorry. Your game is very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Witcher 3 and Divinity: Original Sin are both getting great reviews. Witcher 3 is supposed to be more of an open world, more akin to Skyrim in that style, while Divinity is a turn based, party RPG that you can multiplayer with friends (NOT as an online MMORPG). Both look really appealing. Given limited time, I'll probably see if Santa will put an Xbox One with Fallout 4 and CoD Black Ops 3 under the tree...then perhaps move to the others from there.
    I am playing Divinity right now . It's super fun and feels reminiscent of Ultima 7. The overarching plot seems generic so far but good dialogue and the tactical combat is very fun.

Mass Effect would be my personal recommendation. For the most part, I find it to be head and shoulders above the competition in terms of world building, character, dialogue, and story (even if there were a few missteps in the third game). I may have different tastes than some other people here though as I personally didn't care for Skyrim at all. I spent 60 hours on it but came away unfulfilled, feeling like I'd just done slight variations on the same thing over and over without getting any closure.

For what it's worth, my favorite game this generation has been Bloodborne. It has an extremely memorable and evocative world with a very interesting back story, but it's heavy on the action.

PS: Just to echo what someone else said, if you play the Arkham games, start from the beginning. Asylum+City are the essential games in that series IMO, and they have aged just fine.
    Last edited by darthur; 11-22-2015 at 01:57 AM.