Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    If my memory is correct (always a dubious proposition!), CIS was one of the larger venues for concerts in the Piedmont area in the 60's and 70's and Duke was able to attract quite a few of the top bands to play there. There was Bruce Sprinsteen, weeks after he was simultaneously on the covers of Time and Newsweek (in the days when that was a BIG deal). The Grateful Dead; Boston (after their debut album went multi-platinum) - God, that was a loud concert in a relatively small space. I still think my hearing is affected. And others that I now forget.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    If my memory is correct (always a dubious proposition!), CIS was one of the larger venues for concerts in the Piedmont area in the 60's and 70's and Duke was able to attract quite a few of the top bands to play there. There was Bruce Sprinsteen, weeks after he was simultaneously on the covers of Time and Newsweek (in the days when that was a BIG deal). The Grateful Dead; Boston (after their debut album went multi-platinum) - God, that was a loud concert in a relatively small space. I still think my hearing is affected. And others that I now forget.
    Want to talk about hearing loss? Think Wet Willie, Journey and ELO (Extremely Loud Orchestra) in the Greensboro Coliseum in March, 1976, followed by Springsteen the next night at CIS on his Born to Run Tour. My hearing never recovered and I didn't attend any rock concerts for probably 20 years after that until my wife bought me birthday tix for (her) us to see Steve Miller and the Doobie Brothers in 1996 or 1997. Now get off my lawn .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by ryetales View Post
    Flock of Seagulls opened for the Go-Go's.
    That was it! OPK was correct about Idol headlining.

I remember hearing the ads for REM and them saying REM with 10,000 Maniacs. I assumed they meant the Crazies.

The only show I saw there was Echo & The Bunnymen, the other shows I saw in Page. (Including a band nobody ever heard of before, Jane's Addiction, opening for Love & Rockets. Jane's has been one of my favorite bands ever since.)

(Also saw a guy that went to school down the road at unc a few times in Page. Mike Cross was always amazing.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Clapton in Cameron.
    REM in Paige.
    Jorma in Paige.

Good times.
    Was at all of 'em and couldn't agree more. Neil Young in CIS wasn't too bad in either.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Want to talk about hearing loss? Think Wet Willie, Journey and ELO (Extremely Loud Orchestra) in the Greensboro Coliseum in March, 1976, followed by Springsteen the next night at CIS on his Born to Run Tour. My hearing never recovered and I didn't attend any rock concerts for probably 20 years after that until my wife bought me birthday tix for (her) us to see Steve Miller and the Doobie Brothers in 1996 or 1997. Now get off my lawn .
    The Boss was originally scheduled to play CIS in Spring semester 1975 but the show was cancelled. Can't remember whether it was Bruce, the promoter, or something else.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    The Dead played in CIS 4 times and once in Wally Wade for Joe College Weekend. I suspect they hold the record for most performances at the Gothic Wonderland.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    The Dead played in CIS 4 times and once in Wally Wade for Joe College Weekend. I suspect they hold the record for most performances at the Gothic Wonderland.
    image.jpg

Pigpen backstage at Wally Wade in Duke shirt, hanging with Bobby:

And of course Bobby flying the colors:

image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ryetales View Post
    Flock of Seagulls opened for the Go-Go's.
    And the Go-Go's were really weirded out that no one reacted to what they said from stage. But they had it turned up so loud/distorted no one could understand! (Of course, a bunch of folks left after Flock of Seagulls finished; that's another story.)

A fun night, none-the-less. Mickie took the baffles out of the rafters about the same time - she wanted more noise from the students, concerts be damned!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    And the Go-Go's were really weirded out that no one reacted to what they said from stage. But they had it turned up so loud/distorted no one could understand! (Of course, a bunch of folks left after Flock of Seagulls finished; that's another story.)

A fun night, none-the-less. Mickie took the baffles out of the rafters about the same time - she wanted more noise from the students, concerts be damned!

-jk
    Any truth to the rumor that Toni Basil wrote her song about Mrs. K?

Any truth to the rumor that Toni Basil wrote her song about Mrs. K?
    Do you not know what that song is really about?

I wish Prince would play Cameron...

Holy moly for you DC folks, this Sat 11/21 George Clinton and the Parliment Funkadelic with the Funk Ark at the Tally Ho in Leesburg, VA.

We're going to the Old Ebbit Oyster Riot earlier that afternoon but I'm thinking I should carry that funk beat out the toll road to the Lburg in order to board the Mothership that night. Can I get a witness?!
    Seriously, how much funk can a body endure?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post

Holy moly for you DC folks, this Sat 11/21 George Clinton and the Parliment Funkadelic with the Funk Ark at the Tally Ho in Leesburg, VA.

We're going to the Old Ebbit Oyster Riot earlier that afternoon but I'm thinking I should carry that funk beat out the toll road to the Lburg in order to board the Mothership that night. Can I get a witness?!
    IIRC, Prince was banned from NC at some point after a show in Charlotte. Late '80's, maybe?

I dunno, weezie. I suggest one or two of these tonight and call me in the AM:

Doctor's orders, you know. But, you're always welcome to get a second in-house opinion...

I dunno, weezie. I suggest one or two of these tonight and call me in the AM:

Doctor's orders, you know. But, you're always welcome to get a second in-house opinion...

Why take generics when you can take the original?

http://youtu.be/G6Su8EwIzRU

Short -- but concentrated. And then again, some are designer I guess:

http://youtu.be/QZtgdoZD2t4

I dunno, weezie...
    DD come on now...I ain't gots nothing against young Mars but puhleazzze, The Mothership any day of the week, and I would bet Bruno would want a seat too.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

The Gregg Allman Show with Cowboy 1974.
    It began with a streaker and it's lore continues.

Why take generics when you can take the original?

http://youtu.be/G6Su8EwIzRU

Short -- but concentrated. And then again, some are designer I guess:

http://youtu.be/QZtgdoZD2t4
    DD come on now...I ain't gots nothing against young Mars but puhleazzze, The Mothership any day of the week, and I would bet Bruno would want a seat too.
    Careful you two, I might become a funkaholic.

Careful you two, I might become a funkaholic.
    I say, it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    In searching for when the very exciting Blues Traveler/Spin Doctors mega concert was in the early 90s...
    That Blues Traveler/Spin Doctors concert in Cameron was on April 7, 1993. Found a listing for it in the Greensboro News & Record's archives.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    That Blues Traveler/Spin Doctors concert in Cameron was on April 7, 1993. Found a listing for it in the Greensboro News & Record's archives.
    Not sure it's possible for a more 1993 concert to exist.

This was only a couple weeks after Hurley's Duke career ended... and now I'm thinking of how sad I was after that Duke-Cal game.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR