Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    What was the name of the small joint off campus where the Hot Nuts used to play in the 60's. That venue and group has 100% of my vote!😉😆

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    Not sure it's possible for a more 1993 concert to exist.

This was only a couple weeks after Hurley's Duke career ended... and now I'm thinking of how sad I was after that Duke-Cal game.
    1992-93 was kind of a melancholy year all around at Duke. That was also the year of Ricky Lamont Coffin and Amy Geissinger.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I was there! I went to see the Flock of Seagulls but the Go-Go's were fun too.

The Pressure Boys opened for Billy Idol.

I also remember Neil Young and the Shocking Pinks playing in the the fall of '83.
    I actually got paid to work the Go-Go's and the Dead shows in Cameron. My job was to keep people on the floor from going backstage. Completely forgot about Flock of Seagulls opening; my roommate at the time was a big Go-Go's fan. (we didn't last past the semester).

Everybody gave Neil a hard time back then for that rockabilly record, but that show was phenomenal. No one really came to hear the set with the Shocking Pinks, but those musicians were first-rate and they blew the roof off. Neil also played Carmichael the year before. I recall he said something like "I hear you have a pretty good basketball team here" and there was a chorus of boos from the Dukies and the State fans in attendance, which caught Neil by surprise. I had tapes of both shows, plus a handful of Dead shows on cassette that were in a travel case stolen from my car a few years later. (AOOGAH AOOGAH! GEEZER ALERT! GEEZER ALERT!! THIS IS NOT A DRILL! REPEAT, THIS IS NOT A DRILL!!) Alas, a couple of efforts to see what Neil shows can be found online were unsuccessful.

And others: Mike Cross, Lionel Hampton, Wynton Marsalis in "PaIge", Chick Corea in Duke Gardens...

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    I actually got paid to work the Go-Go's and the Dead shows in Cameron. My job was to keep people on the floor from going backstage. Completely forgot about Flock of Seagulls opening; my roommate at the time was a big Go-Go's fan. (we didn't last past the semester).

Everybody gave Neil a hard time back then for that rockabilly record, but that show was phenomenal. No one really came to hear the set with the Shocking Pinks, but those musicians were first-rate and they blew the roof off. Neil also played Carmichael the year before. I recall he said something like "I hear you have a pretty good basketball team here" and there was a chorus of boos from the Dukies and the State fans in attendance, which caught Neil by surprise. I had tapes of both shows, plus a handful of Dead shows on cassette that were in a travel case stolen from my car a few years later. (AOOGAH AOOGAH! GEEZER ALERT! GEEZER ALERT!! THIS IS NOT A DRILL! REPEAT, THIS IS NOT A DRILL!!) Alas, a couple of efforts to see what Neil shows can be found online were unsuccessful.

And others: Mike Cross, Lionel Hampton, Wynton Marsalis in "PaIge", Chick Corea in Duke Gardens...
    I had a bootleg tape of that Neil show for years (probably still do I guess). Great show. Oddly, it was the night before I visited campus as a pre-youngphikap, looking at colleges. Read about the show in the Chronicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    As long as we're off topic, I had to jump in and say that Simon and Garfunkel's concert roughly fifty years ago (I'm fuzzy on the date too ) also is one of the most memorable concerts I ever attended.
    What stands out to me to this day is when Simon said he wanted everyone to appreciate what a great voice Garfunkel had - and then Garfunkel did the next number a cappella.
    You're correct in remembering the minimal accompaniment which was impressive enough, but that a cappella number was just amazing.
    Thanks for reminding me
    Parent's weekend the fall of 1968

Janis Joplin on Carolina Weekend in 1969. Six inches of snow outside, and Cameron 3/4 emply.

Some of my favorites from 90-94... Mostly in Page:

Lemonheads
    Big Head Todd
    Soul Asylum
    Blues Traveler
    Widespread Panic
    the Samples
    Dillon Fence (the coffee house and cats cradle numerous times)
    DMB (cats cradle for maybe $10!)
    The Connells (cats cradle)
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Some of my favorites from 90-94... Mostly in Page:

Lemonheads
    Big Head Todd
    Soul Asylum
    Blues Traveler
    Widespread Panic
    the Samples
    Dillon Fence (the coffee house and cats cradle numerous times)
    DMB (cats cradle for maybe $10!)
    The Connells (cats cradle)

Heck, I remember seeing the Dave Matthews Band for free once on the West Campus quad, circa 1991. I think it was for some fraternity event -- maybe Kappa Sig's Schoonerfest?

I also recall a They Might Be Giants concert in Page during that time frame.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian913 View Post
    Janis Joplin on Carolina Weekend in 1969. Six inches of snow outside, and Cameron 3/4 emply.
    Some tidbits about the poster for that show.

http://blog.postercentral.com/2013/1...orth-carolina/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    What was the name of the small joint off campus where the Hot Nuts used to play in the 60's. That venue and group has 100% of my vote!😉😆
    Mustang Club?

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    I actually got paid to work the Go-Go's and the Dead shows in Cameron. My job was to keep people on the floor from going backstage.
    I had the same job on the right side of the stage for the Dead show and a few others. Good old Student Labor. We also worked rolling out all those brown mats to cover the floor the night before.

BTW - You can find sort of a list of Duke concerts here based on the records of the Major Attractions committee:

http://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/findingaids/uaduuma/

Some of them are false alarms of records when they were trying to book a show. For example, there is apparently a folder on an attempt to get The Police to play in 1983, but they never made it to Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    Saw the Hot Nuts at a formal at some motel in Raleigh in 1979. Doug Clark is no longer with us, but apparently you can still book the band for your party.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    I had the same job on the right side of the stage for the Dead show and a few others. Good old Student Labor. We also worked rolling out all those brown mats to cover the floor the night before.

BTW - You can find sort of a list of Duke concerts here based on the records of the Major Attractions committee:

http://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/findingaids/uaduuma/

Some of them are false alarms of records when they were trying to book a show. For example, there is apparently a folder on an attempt to get The Police to play in 1983, but they never made it to Duke.
    I worked the Black Crowes concert at Cameron and could not hear for two days afterwards. They should have given me earplugs instead of the godawful teal green STAFF shirt I had to wear.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block