View Poll Results: Which should move on to the finals in our search for the greatest sports movie?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Longest Yard

11 20.37%
  • Chariots of Fire

24 44.44%
  • Seabiscuit

10 18.52%
  • Bad News Bears (original)

25 46.30%
  • Invincible

4 7.41%
  • Field of Dreams

44 81.48%
  • Rocky I

37 68.52%
  • Brian's Song

14 25.93%
  • The Hustler

12 22.22%
  • Ali

1 1.85%

5 9.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Greatest Sports Movie Semi-Final Poll #1 (multiple choice)

If you are confused and have not voted in these polls before, you may want to check the stickied thread at the top of this forum.

--Jason

I am debating among 6 of these. DAMN!!

Wow, this is tough. I breezed through the first round. I am tempted to vote for almost all of them, but somehow I will reign myself in.

I am bummed Longest Yard is not doing better. Ya'll know we are talking about the original, not the crappy Adam Sandler remake, right?

--Jason "I think people are too sentimental about Rocky I... it never really struck me as one of the all-timers" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I am bummed Longest Yard is not doing better. Ya'll know we are talking about the original, not the crappy Adam Sandler remake, right?
    Perhaps it should have an "(original)" notation like Bad News Bears?

--Jason "I think people are too sentimental about Rocky I... it never really struck me as one of the all-timers" Evans
    Heresy!

It was only the first sports movie to win the Academy Award for best picture.

It was FANTASTIC on the big screen.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

I am bummed Longest Yard is not doing better.
    Agreed. I watched the original from start to finish about a month ago. It was the first time I'd seen it in years. Awesome movie.

MEAN MACHINE!

-EarlJam

I am actually finding the semifinal rounds easier to vote on. In the first rounds, there were so many middling pics that were so close in quality that it was tough to choose 4. Now there are a few movies which just really stand out above the rest for me.

I think people are too sentimental about Rocky I... it never really struck me as one of the all-timers
    Wha . . . ? In my book, Rocky wins out right. It's not simply a great sports movie -- it's a great movie. That it happens to be about boxing is besides the point.

Need a few more votes to break the 3rd place tie between Chariots and Bad News Bears as one of those two will likely qualify as a wildcard.

Field of Dreams and Rocky seem to be locks to make the finals.

--Jason "yeah, this is a shameless BTTT... so sue me" Evans

Chariots of Fire bored me, I fell asleep. Bad News Bears was a comedy, not really designed to be a "sports" movie. Brian's Song really got on my nerves being as unrealistic as it is...its really more of a chick flick. The Rocky movies are more of a love story. Sly has said that the boxing was never meant to be a focal point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    Chariots of Fire bored me, I fell asleep. Bad News Bears was a comedy, not really designed to be a "sports" movie. Brian's Song really got on my nerves being as unrealistic as it is...its really more of a chick flick. The Rocky movies are more of a love story. Sly has said that the boxing was never meant to be a focal point.
    So none of these really qualify as interesting sports movies? What qualifies a chick flick as a chick flick?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    Brian's Song really got on my nerves being as unrealistic as it is...
    Wait, what?

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Wait, what?
    The depiction of his death was not realistic. The depiction of his death was not realistic. He died of cancer, which is a horrible painful death. I dislike Steal Magnolias’ for the same reason. I dislike Steal Magnolias for the same reason.
    Last edited by Bluedawg; 09-29-2007 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    So none of these really qualify as interesting sports movies? What qualifies a chick flick as a chick flick?
    This says it as well as i could...

a movie which is designed or considered to appeal mainly to women, and generally displaying more of a focus on romance or relationships.

chariots of fire has to make it through!! i need another vote!

This poll is closed. Field of Dreams and the original Rocky both advance to the final poll for the GREATEST SPORTS MOVIE OF ALL TIME!!

The wild cards are obviously still up in the air but I think Bad News Bears will stand a very good chance to making it.

Next poll in the semi-finals, coming soon!

--Jason "whew, these are tough!!" Evans