Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Football school or basketball school?

Most programs are easy to classify as such. But there are a few I feel defy classification. What do y'all think about:

California
    Virginia
    Minnesota
    Purdue
    Georgia Tech

Or any others that you have to think about for more than 5 seconds.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Notre Dame?
    UConn?

j/k

IMO, in order

football
    neither
    basketball
    neither
    football

football

Just going by attendance figures, I'd say football, football, football, football, and football. Pretty much every student, for example, goes to Cal and Virginia football games - far fewer go to basketball games (although Virginia's new stadium is changing that)...

Notre Dame can't be anything but a FB school and UConn is a BB school.

What does "neither" mean? "I can't decide," or "I think they suck at both."

I reject the second interpretation. Mississippi State sucks at FB and is decidely a FB school because FB is the game of the Deep South. You can suck at FB and still be a FB school. Look at South Carolina historically.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Just going by attendance figures, I'd say football, football, football, football, and football. Pretty much every student, for example, goes to Cal and Virginia football games - far fewer go to basketball games (although Virginia's new stadium is changing that)...
    Even Duke has bigger attendance figures for FB than BB. This is not only structural (how many people can see the game) but also due to the fact that BB has way more games.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

California-football
    Virginia-basketball
    Minnesota-hockey
    Purdue-basketball
    Georgia Tech-football

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    California-football
    Virginia-basketball
    Minnesota-hockey
    Purdue-basketball
    Georgia Tech-football

IMO
    I think these are really good answers. I was waiting for someone to say Hockey for Minnesota. I believe GT is a FB school due to [nominal] Deep South location and history (4 Natl Champs, last in 1990). Cremins made them something more than nothing in BB.

Virginia is still the one I have the most trouble with.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Can we make a poll out of this?

Can we make a poll out of this?

California - football
    Virginia - bball traditionally, now equal
    Minnesota - would have said football...but I what someone else said: hockey
    Purdue - basketball
    Georgia Tech - tough call...bball, although the fans may care more about football...its close

I would also say there is a difference between "traditionally" vs "now" for some of these schools which can make it hard to weigh...

GIT has the 222-0 game and Cal has the THE BAND IS ON THE FIELD!!! play, so they have to be football schools.

BTW, Cal's football facility is a complete dump. They're the best state school in the country, with oodles of rich alumni, a program that wins, a legacy of pulling off the greatest single play in North American sports history (which occurred within the lifetime of most adults)... and their place is rotting away, literally. The top row does have a spendid view of the Bay Area, though.

Here's a tougher one: What's Pitt? Tony Dorsett... Dan Marino... basketball school?

Virginia is absolutely a football school. Having spent three years in Charlottesville, I can tell you that the surrounding community is much more invested in the football team than the basketball team. Virginia may have more historical success in basketball, but it's still a southern(-esque) city, and as such, it loves its football. Or maybe it's just that Pete Gillen destroyed everyone's hope in the basketball team.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

I'd call Virginia a men's soccer school. With Carolina, of course, being a women's soccer school.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    BTW, Cal's football facility is a complete dump. They're the best state school in the country, with oodles of rich alumni, a program that wins, a legacy of pulling off the greatest single play in North American sports history (which occurred within the lifetime of most adults)... and their place is rotting away, literally. The top row does have a spendid view of the Bay Area, though.[/i]
    A full remodel of the stadium begins after this season. There are some classic Berkeley protests going on, but by all accounts, construction should begin on schedule. One of the great things about the stadium is that the students get the best seats in the house -- right at midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by RPS View Post
    A full remodel of the stadium begins after this season. There are some classic Berkeley protests going on, but by all accounts, construction should begin on schedule. One of the great things about the stadium is that the students get the best seats in the house -- right at midfield.
    OK, I was wondering about those people living in the trees. I just chalked it up to Berkeley kids being Berkeley kids.

Also, the access to that stadium on gamedays has to be awful. Where does everyone park? Orinda?

I think it is possible to be both. it doesn't always have to be one or the other.

Football/Basketball redirection

I'd have to consider myself a football fan at a basketball school, so let me ask a question that suggests the only primacy football might seek here. Since 1980, which is more remarkable, Duke Football's failure, or Duke Men's Basketball's success? Sorry if it's an ugly question, but I can't get it out of my head. For variations, change the start date, which is fairly arbitrary. Say, 1990? 1995?
    If I just said "basketball," Gail would bail us out for sure. Otherwise, I guess I'll give three championships their due, but for me it's a tight race against 4 winless seasons. I'd love to see both teams make the question a no-brainer in the next couple of years.

OK, I was wondering about those people living in the trees. I just chalked it up to Berkeley kids being Berkeley kids.
    Actually, they aren't Berkeley kids. I was there last week and they're professional protestors, and admittedly so. One of the signs asking for donations was soliciting "penut butter" -- obviously not a Berkeley student.

Also, the access to that stadium on gamedays has to be awful. Where does everyone park? Orinda?
    The building project includes additional parking along with additions to the law and business schools. That said, parking will still be tight (on campus parking on game days costs $25). The project also includes major renovations to team and training rooms for a number of sports within the stadium complex.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Even Duke has bigger attendance figures for FB than BB. This is not only structural (how many people can see the game) but also due to the fact that BB has way more games.
    That is because Cameron can only seat 9,314. These schools don't sell out their basketball stadiums like Duke does. If Cameron was larger than WW, there is no doubt in my mind that more people would pay to watch basketball games than football games even though there are way more BB games.

I was just trying to say that for the average student at these particular schools, I feel like going to football games is a very standard thing for everybody to do, while the majority of the student body goes to hardly any bball games. I would even argue that most students go to more football games (usually around 6 home games a year) than basketball games, even though there are a ton more bball games. A friend of mine at Virginia, for example, went to every single home football game, but only around 2 b-ball games a year. Maybe he is an anomaly though...I just feel that, overall, football is much more popular than basketball in this country except for in March (and Feb since college football has ended by then). Just my opinion...

A few others

How many true basketball schools are there that have Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly 1-A) teams? Not many, I'd wager, outside the ACC and Big East conferences. The first five that came to my mind are:

Kentucky
    Kansas
    Indiana
    Temple
    UCLA (Is UCLA a basketball school?)

There are surely others . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post
    (Is UCLA a basketball school?)
    Um, yes. Their athletic program is excellent across the board, but fair or not, that John Wooden guy still has a good bit of currency.

What about Stanford? Granted, their football team stinks right now, but Jim Harbaugh is working on that. There's tradition there too, with Rose Bowls and John Elway. Also, the basketball team's recent successes have been somewhat remarkable for that school (and have also taken a bit of a dip in the last couple of years).
    Also Oregon: the football team clearly has the upper hand right now, but their basketball arena is widely known as one of the toughest places in the country to play (to be fair, so is their football stadium), and I'd argue that success in both sports is a fairly recent phenomenon for them (though IIRC, they had some Final Fours, maybe in the '40s?).

Still thinking...