Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Um... this discussion is, for lack of a better word, dumb...There are definately schools that fall into the category of "football school" or "basketball school" - Duke being one of them. In fact, there are a lot of them, so I'm not against making the categories. But bending over backwards in trying to categorize schools that clearly don't fit any of the labels is stupid.
    There are definately a number of people who appear to disagree with you, who definately don't think this discussion is dumb, and who definately know how to spell definitely.

Arkansas - track

If you want to look at the sport they're best in, it's clearly track. They have National Championship t-shirts that say "pick a year."

However, if you look at fan passion, I'd probably go with football during football season, basketball during basketball season. Seriously. People here are passionate about both sports. I grew up being an avid fan of both. Remember, there are no pro teams in the state, and the U of A is the only school in the state that fields both football and basketball teams in a major conference. They are the show for most people who are college sports fans. That's nothing against ASU and UALR; most people here just don't live and die by Sun Belt Conference sports like they do SEC sports.

Oh, and when AR was in the SWC, their fans bought the majority of the tickets to the SWC Tourney. They won almost every year. Reunion Arena was fondly referred to as Barnhill South.
    Last edited by ArkieDukie; 09-29-2007 at 07:36 AM. Reason: additional points added

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Um... this discussion is, for lack of a better word, dumb.
    Good heavens. 90% of what we talk about is dumb in one sense or another. In this case, we're just bantering and having a good time. Nobody is taking this seriously except you.
    Last edited by mapei; 09-28-2007 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Very interesting comments, especially BlueDawg, Jason, Clips.

BlueDawg says why can't a school be both. In almost any situation with a dichotomy, I'd instinctively agree with a refusal to categorize, but I find this one particularly sticky.

I wanted to see what folks would say before I came out with my opinion, which is basically a stronger version of what Jason said: to be a basketball school is, except in a very few cases, merely a result of a failure to be a football school.

UF could win the next 8 national championships and that would still be a FB school.

What about my question is mutually exclusive? If "UF could win the next 8 national championships" then yes, they will be considered a football school but one that excels in basketball. I don't think a school will be called both, they will carry the designation of a school [UF will always be a football school] but they have shown that a school can excel in both.

Although Duke may not really compete for a football NC, they will always be a "basketball school" but I think Duke can excel in both and compete regularly for the ACC championship in football.

With the exception of Kentucky, I think every school in the SEC gives a higher priority to football than basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    With the exception of Kentucky, I think every school in the SEC gives a higher priority to football than basketball.
    Probably do, it is a football conference, like the ACC gives a higher priority to basketball. However, both conferences are trying to get better in their weaker sports.

BTW, are you forgetting Florida, they didn't do too bad in football and basketball last year, did they?

Nah, didn't forget Florida. Football school. Gap closer than Auburn or Mississippi or LSU but still a football school.

IMO.

This is obviously an example of a much milder degree, but with regard to this debate, I liken flarduh's recent successes to the '94-'95 season at Duke. The football team made a bowl game and the basketball team posted its only losing record in forever (before or since), but Durham didn't suddenly go gridiron crazy.
    flarduh will be a football school forever. That's part of what infuriates me so about their last couple of years. gators are good fans at all, but at the end of the day, I don't think they really care about basketball (or even really "get it") on near the same level as football, regardless of the two teams' performance.

Purdue is definitely a basketball school. Their success in the sport hasn't exactly been overwhelming in recent years but Gene Keady, and John Wooden before him, put the Boilermakers on the hoops map. The Boiler's throughout the '80s and '90s were a top ten basketball program. No doubt about it.

Besides, Purdue resides in the state of Indiana (abliet the fact that most Indianans refuse to give the residents of Gary credit for this), and that automatically makes the university a basketball school. (Notre Dame is the only exception to this rule.)

What about Gonzaga?

Lol.

More lol.

The Zags are basketball for sure, but I associate Purdue with football. The number of people - including students, faculty and alums - who associate their basketball program with John Wooden must be miniscule!

Between John Wooden and Gene Keady was a period of 50 years when Purdue basketball didn't make much of an impression. During that time, you had such football stars as Bob Griese and Leroy Keyes. I vote for Purdue as a football school, and it's in West Lafayette, not Gary.

Actually Purdue did have some success between Wooden and Keady.

They won Big Ten titles in 1934, 1935, 1936, 1938, and 1940.

Terry Dischinger was a two-time consenus A-A, a member of the famous 1960 Olympic team, and a pretty good NBA player.

Dave Schellhase led the NCAA in scoring in 1966.

Led by All-America Rick Mount, Purdue thrashed UNC in the 1969 FF, advancing to the title game against UCLA, where they lost, like everybody else who played Wooden in NCAA title games.

Purdue won the NIT in 1974.

And we all know what happened in 1980.

Some down seasons too but I think Purdue hoops made an impression.

So a vote for Purdue and hoops.

I defer to Jim's knowledge at all times, but I don't think success is the driving factor here. Let me offer MSU as an example again. Historically, good at baseball, decent at basketball, and pretty sorry at football. And what do people care about the most at that school? Definitely football. A few people there argue it's a baseball school, and it's got a really good culture supporting Ron Polk's teams. But it's in Mississippi and thus is a FB school.

Which game do your fans care about the most? That's the deciding factor.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Throaty, I defer to your knowledge in all things Mississippi State.

I've already expressed my opinion that, excluding Kentucky, the entire SEC is a football conference. It's in the water, it's in the food, it's probably in mother's milk. Genetically encoded.

Purdue, of course, is located in a state where the same can be said for hoops. Reinforcing my view that Purdue tilts slightly on the hoops side of the balance beam. Call it 60/40.

Ahh, the Indiana-ness. I see.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Which game do your fans care about the most? That's the deciding factor.
    Basketball must be looking better to those Golden Domers about now. Obviously, it'll be a football school for much past my lifetime, but I can't resist the chance to take a dig at them.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I've already expressed my opinion that, excluding Kentucky, the entire SEC is a football conference. It's in the water, it's in the food, it's probably in mother's milk. Genetically encoded.

Purdue, of course, is located in a state where the same can be said for hoops. Reinforcing my view that Purdue tilts slightly on the hoops side of the balance beam. Call it 60/40.
    But Purdue is located in a conference that is as enthralled with football as the SEC. It's only true basketball school is at Bloomington, IN, where I went to law school. It's true that I can't recall an Indiana driveway that didn't have a basketball hoop, but West Lafayette is not in one of the real hotbed areas of the state (just about every place else). Jim brings up good points from the bball record (and didn't even mention Joe "Barely Cares" Barry Carroll), but I'm still thinking 55-45 football for Purdue, just from my sense of what most intoxicates the fan base. But I can be brought over to a hoops vote.

A relevant comparison, I think, is Wisconsin. Right now they have excellent football and basketball programs, and give great support to both. But over the last five years that I was there, I'd have to say football clearly generates the most enthusiasm. I don't even count the students, btw, in making such an assessment. Only a very small percentage show up for basketball games; plenty more go to football games, but only after getting thoroughly hammered and customarily appearing well after the opening kickoff. The alum base, however, is rabid.
    Last edited by dkbaseball; 09-30-2007 at 06:01 PM.

I think the Big 10 historically is stronger in hoops than the SEC and stronger in football than the ACC. And better in hockey than either.

Of course, the spring sports swing the balance of power back south. Not their fault. It's tough to get a good baseball practice in Minnesota in January. Of course, it's tough to turn the parking lot into a hockey rink in Mississippi, so maybe it balances out.

Wisconsin was really bad at FB for about 3 decades, but has been great since.

I gotta put them in the FB column.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Definitely football for Wisconsin.

I think you can make a basketball case for Illinois that's stronger than the one for Purdue.