Thread: Serial Season 2

Serial Season 2

Is expected to begin near the end of November. Much conjecture about topic with the Bowe Bergdahl case being one of the strongly rumored topics.

Bump. It is Bergdahl, indeed. Haven't listened yet, but my facebook and twitter feeds are blowing up about the new season starting.

Season 1 Thread

I bet she mentioned this in her open:

“What do we do with Sergeant Bergdahl, 50 years ago?” Trump asked, after calling the soldier a “dirty, rotten traitor.”

Trump shaped his hand like a pistol.

“That’s right,” he said. “Boom. Boom!… Boom, he’s gone. He’s gone!”

Trump’s comments are not accurate — the United States has executed an accused military deserter only once since the Civil War
    Sorry, I just have Trump on the mind. Hopefully the first show was great. Ignore me.

I've listened to season 1 twice now. And the (ongoing) Undisclosed podcasts - and another podcast about season 1 (Truth and Justice Podcast, formerly Serial Dynasty). One might say that I'm obsessed.

I'm saving Serial season 2 for my Christmas roadtrip to see family in Louisiana, but I heard that in episode 1 Sarah Koenig talks about calling the Taliban to discuss the case. Wha? One can just pick up the phone and dial the Taliban? Interesting to hear how that occurred. Maybe she used Directory Assistance.

I'm just not sensing the same level of drama/suspense as Season 1. But that could just be me.

I think picking a more well-known case is a mistake. In season 1 we did not know anything about the characters and could spend time getting to know the entire story. This time, we all bring with us our own knowledge of the already known facts. The mystery part of it seems much less this time. I would much rather they had focused on someone lesser known who might have been innocent but had a case that was not fully investigated, like in season one. Bergdahl's case has been very, very thoroughly investigated by journalists and the DoD. I'm not saying we know all the truth about it, but the odds of uncovering some new info seem pretty small.

-Jason "that said, I look forward to hearing how this turns out" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

What about season 1B?

SNL - great send up of Serial ... the mysterious case of Kris.

https://youtu.be/ATXbJjuZqbc

(Kris Kringle)

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    SNL - great send up of Serial ... the mysterious case of Kris.

https://youtu.be/ATXbJjuZqbc

(Kris Kringle)
    That's hilarious.

I've listened to the season 2 episodes and, unlike Season 1, I find it interesting but not compelling so far .

I like how they worked Mail Chimp in there...

Count me as one who is enjoying season 2 of Serial.

Possibly the start of another thread, but also thoroughly enjoying Making a Murderer on Netflix. I highly recommend it to other Serial fans.

Season 3 started this week.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Season 3 started this week.
    Loved the first two episodes. Does not give one the warm and fuzzies about the criminal justice system (even acknowledging that the program has an agenda and is not telling a story just to say "all's fine, nothing to see here").
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Loved the first two episodes. Does not give one the warm and fuzzies about the criminal justice system (even acknowledging that the program has an agenda and is not telling a story just to say "all's fine, nothing to see here").
    Getting caught up. Agreed wholeheartedly, definitely feels like that the deck is stacked.

What has impressed me about season 3 so far is that SK does not appear to throw anyone from the justice department under the bus. She recognizes that the system is imperfect and her reflection of the courthouse is more directed at its reflections of the system than to any one bad actor in Cleveland. The judge discussed in episode 2 or 3 did not come off well, but I thought the prosecutor in the most recent episode came across deliberate and fair. Even the counter point from a family member of someone who was shot in episode 4 I thought was handled fairly.

One reason for this posture may be because Cleveland has given Serial an incredible level of access to interview and record in their courtroom, and they didn't have to. If she portrays them as incompetent or unfair, it's unlikely any other courthouse would ever allow a similar level of access. So far, I like the fact that she's talked more about how the system works and uses case specifics to illustrate that rather than portraying Cleveland as some sort of outlier.
    "There can BE only one."