Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Football Coaching Carousel 2015

Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Think of the big time jobs that are open ALREADY:

Southern Cal (one of the sport's blue bloods)
    Maryland (with the Under Armor connection, a ton of potential)
    South Carolina (nobody has more local support)
    Miami (the best program in the country in the 80s and 90s)

A bunch of other power five jobs are likely to be open:
    Virginia Tech
    Virginia
    Iowa State
    Kansas

Also, Central Florida is already open ...

It's going to be a wild offseason

Awful news. Very hard for this Minnesota expat to hear this morning. Hopefully this helps Kill's health. He's all class, all heart and a battler who deserves to rest and live a long post-football life. But I admit I'm little sad for the program, and sad that I won't get to see him finish what he started there. Having both of the college teams I care about go from moribund to relevant over the last several years has been really fun.

Re: the subject matter of the thread, it's probably 50/50 this doesn't actually open up the job. It's a decent bet Tracy Claeys will end up with the permanent job in the offseason or sooner. It's already been a somewhat disappointing season so far, and the schedule doesn't get any easier, but Claeys has been with Kill for decades and did fine in an interim capacity a few years ago when a flare-up in Kill's epilepsy temporarily sidelined him. If the University wants to send a message of continuity and reassure recruits that the program they bought into is still there, just less one guy, then he's not a bad choice. Especially given the length of the list of seats on this season's carousel when it's not even November yet. After USC and Miami and anyone else ahead of MN in the pecking order (the other USC, VT if Beamer retires, maybe Maryland just based on the $$$, probably another one or two shoes yet to drop) are done, I could see the Gophers deciding they may as well stick with Claeys. It's a lot more attractive job than it was 5 years ago, so I could imagine them trying to lure someone with a bit of a name who wants a bigger platform, too, but MN's got an interim AD after the sudden Norwood Teague resignation, and I don't know how much she's going to want to mess with things.

[Oly - add Illinois to your list of likelies]

That is truly awful. Hope his doctors are able to find a way to better manage his illness and that he is able to enjoy the rest of his years as best he can.

Mark Richt out at UGa per several sources. Think he goes back to his alma mater, Miami?

At last report, Les Miles still has a job after a week of speculation (media) and silence (Joe Alleva).

Mike London apparently "resigned" today as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    At last report, Les Miles still has a job after a week of speculation (media) and silence (Joe Alleva).
    He's not quite dead yet.

He's mostly-dead.

(Not to mix lines from two of my favorite movies).

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Mark Richt out at UGa per several sources. Think he goes back to his alma mater, Miami?
    Fedora at good fit at Georgia?

Les Miles's retention was confirmed by AD Alleva. He had become a sympathetic figure, making his firing harmful to the LSU program. Also, the $15 million buyout, which was funded by boosters, would have set a dangerous precedent and raised the risk that the La. legislature may have denied funds for future buyouts. Moreover, Jimbo Fisher apparently said "no."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    Interesting question. I think he would be, although he has a ton of talent at UNC right now --probably more than UGA really (although Georgia has a great QB commit, some worry he may bolt if Richt is gone). If the hat thinks the hammer is coming to the dump, though, he may look at the job if any interest is shown in Athens.

I would think UGa could offer a lot more money than UNC -- football is religion in Georgia, and it is the undisputed king of sports there. (No offense to their women's gymnastics which is also consistently top shelf).

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    Sources say UGA to try for Kirby Smart. Don't imagine they are the only one.

If Fedora bolts UNC, it's evidence that he knows the hammer is going to fall and that he's been lying to prospects all summer/fall.

If he really thinks UNC football will be unscathed by the NCAA he stays. He has a ton of talent returning and they think Mitch Tubinsky is a better long-term QB prospect than Marquise Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    If Fedora bolts UNC, it's evidence that he knows the hammer is going to fall and that he's been lying to prospects all summer/fall.

If he really thinks UNC football will be unscathed by the NCAA he stays. He has a ton of talent returning and they think Mitch Tubinsky is a better long-term QB prospect than Marquise Williams.
    Agree with all of this, and they nave Chaz in the pipeline too. A good Gamecock friend thinks USC is considering the hat as well.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Add Rutgers to the mix. Fired both HC Flood and AD Hermann. Had an AD in waiting, Patrick Dobbs. To cross into an off-topic thread, Dobbs had been working for Gov. Chris Christie as state ombudsman.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

Now exactly what is it that makes Fedora a hot property and sought by big-time football powers? Here's his record at Southern Mississippi and UNC:

Code:
    Year	Sch.	G	W	L	T	Pct
    2008	USM	13	7	6	0	0.538
    2009	USM	13	7	6	0	0.538
    2010	USM	13	8	5	0	0.615
    2011	USM	14	12	2	0	0.857
    2012	UNC	12	8	4	0	0.667
    2013	UNC	13	7	6	0	0.538
    2014	UNC	13	6	7	0	0.462
    2015	UNC	12	11	1	0	0.917
    One season with fewer than four losses in eight seasons as a head coach. His record at UNC is 32-18, compared with Cut's 32-20 over the same period.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Now exactly what is it that makes Fedora a hot property and sought by big-time football powers? Here's his record at Southern Mississippi and UNC:

Code:
    Year	Sch.	G	W	L	T	Pct
    2008	USM	13	7	6	0	0.538
    2009	USM	13	7	6	0	0.538
    2010	USM	13	8	5	0	0.615
    2011	USM	14	12	2	0	0.857
    2012	UNC	12	8	4	0	0.667
    2013	UNC	13	7	6	0	0.538
    2014	UNC	13	6	7	0	0.462
    2015	UNC	12	11	1	0	0.917
    One season with fewer than four losses in eight seasons as a head coach. His record at UNC is 32-18, compared with Cut's 32-20 over the same period.
    Flash, pan.

I agree, his team's have horribly underperformed the last few years before this one. No doubting, though, that he has built a pretty solid team this year. I think UNC has more talent than most of the teams that might come knocking.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Flash, pan.

I agree, his team's have horribly underperformed the last few years before this one. No doubting, though, that he has built a pretty solid team this year. I think UNC has more talent than most of the teams that might come knocking.
    Some coaches can build a team through great recruiting, but get so so results on the field. Some coaches can coach a team to play at the top for a year, maybe two, yet can't maintain and build. Fedora may be the latter. If he moves on, so be it.

Some coaches can build a team through great recruiting, but get so so results on the field. Some coaches can coach a team to play at the top for a year, maybe two, yet can't maintain and build. Fedora may be the latter. If he moves on, so be it.
    I'd like to see the hat move on, and the hammer drop.

Does Fedora have a big poison-pill buy-out?