New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

WBB: Duke picked 4th in ACC

Given the talent that we have, I'm very surprised at our selection of 4th. ND is a legitimate 1st place pick, no issue there. Oh well, it's not the preseason that matters, but still.

Greenwell and Stevens were picked preseason All ACC by both coaches and media.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/notre-d...itle/14993662/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Given the talent that we have, I'm very surprised at our selection of 4th. ND is a legitimate 1st place pick, no issue there. Oh well, it's not the preseason that matters, but still.

Greenwell and Stevens were picked preseason All ACC by both coaches and media.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/notre-d...itle/14993662/
    I know the pre-season polls have us in the second ten, but I believe we're going to surprise some people. I think the only way Duke finishes 4th in the ACC, would be if the ACC has four teams in the top 8 of the country. And even if the ACC does have four teams in the top 8, I still think we finish higher than fourth, though I guess that's what the games are for.

FSU at second makes sense. They should be really good. But I was surprised to see Louisville ahead of Duke.

It should be noted that two of the three teams ahead of Duke are schools recently added to the ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    FSU at second makes sense. They should be really good. But I was surprised to see Louisville ahead of Duke.

It should be noted that two of the three teams ahead of Duke are schools recently added to the ACC.
    Louisville rides some hype due to their two national runners up in recent years. They also 2 places higher than duke in the ACC last year. Yes it was only by one game, and yes Duke beat UL...but do you think voters think that hard? With Duke losing EWill (I can't say I know who UL is losing...) I can at least see why some voters would put them up there...whether I agree with it or not.

Anyway, preseason voting is 1 part "how you did last year" and 1 part "who you're bringing back" and 1 part "who are you recruiting". Duke lost some big head shakers last year. Combine that with the perception of UL based on a couple of good tourney runs, and you get them ahead of duke in the preseason. I don't find it surprising at all.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Louisville rides some hype due to their two national runners up in recent years. They also 2 places higher than duke in the ACC last year. Yes it was only by one game, and yes Duke beat UL...but do you think voters think that hard? With Duke losing EWill (I can't say I know who UL is losing...) I can at least see why some voters would put them up there...whether I agree with it or not.

Anyway, preseason voting is 1 part "how you did last year" and 1 part "who you're bringing back" and 1 part "who are you recruiting". Duke lost some big head shakers last year. Combine that with the perception of UL based on a couple of good tourney runs, and you get them ahead of duke in the preseason. I don't find it surprising at all.
    Louisville basically played ten players last season. They lost seven of them. They don't have a recruited senior. Their third-leading returning scorer averaged 2.4 ppg last season.

Sophomore Mariya Moore is very good and they do have some good freshmen, led by former Duke target Asia Durr. But I'd take Azura Stevens over Moore, I think Rebecca Greenwell is better than their second-best player, Myisha Hine-Allen and Duke had the nation's top-ranked recruiting class. And Duke returns eight players.

So, I think a reasonable case can be made for ranking Duke over Louisville.