• Ride Along 2

4 7.69%
  • 13 Hours: Benghazi

6 11.54%
  • Kung Fu Panda 3

26 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Come on... someone needs to vote for Joy (Jennifer Lawrence's past 5 films have grossed $132 mil, $424 mil, $150 mil, $233 mil, and $337 mil)! That way every single movie in the poll will have at least one vote. Jennifer, Bradley Cooper, and David O Russell have a pretty good history working together.

-Jason "I don't think David O Russell knows how to make a movie without Jennifer and Bradley at this point" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Come on... someone needs to vote for Joy (Jennifer Lawrence's past 5 films have grossed $132 mil, $424 mil, $150 mil, $233 mil, and $337 mil)!

-Jason "I don't think David O Russell knows how to make a movie without Jennifer and Bradley at this point" Evans
    Done, given my summer performance I might be better off using a random number generator. Of course, I'm now in the position of rooting for Jennifer to be the Chris Pratt of Winter 2015. A role I gladly accept.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    ... I'm now in the position of rooting for Jennifer to be the Chris Pratt of Winter 2015. A role I gladly accept.
    You mean to go topless at least once in every movie?

OK

I went with (also in order of which I think will make the most money) Star Wars, Hunger Games, Spectre, The Good Dinosaur, The Peanuts Movie, and Creed is my last pick.

I think most of us can agree that the first four are locks. I think Peanuts beats out Panda for the second kid flick. Creed is my dark horse. It comes out five days after Hunger Games which certainly doesn't help, but it has a strong lead actor and hopefully gets a Thanksgiving bump. Also went for something that no one else was picking yet, so if it hits I could win big.

Picking six definitely makes this a little more interesting/difficult.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I'm wondering how much ST7 is going to help other movies. I've talked to a few people that tried lining up tix for opening weekend and couldn't since they were sold out. I'm expecting there will be a good number of folks that go to the movies expecting too watch The Force Awakens and then deciding to see something else when the theater isn't quite so insane. I know I'm definitely going, but there's no way in hell I'm going opening weekend, or maybe not even the weekend after. That means I won't be helping any other movies in the process, but someone might go and decide they still want to see a movie, just not THAT movie.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'm wondering how much ST7 is going to help other movies. I've talked to a few people that tried lining up tix for opening weekend and couldn't since they were sold out. I'm expecting there will be a good number of folks that go to the movies expecting too watch The Force Awakens and then deciding to see something else when the theater isn't quite so insane. I know I'm definitely going, but there's no way in hell I'm going opening weekend, or maybe not even the weekend after. That means I won't be helping any other movies in the process, but someone might go and decide they still want to see a movie, just not THAT movie.
    SW7 will probably be on every screen of every theatre, so this is probably a moo point.

Quote Originally Posted by bd80 View Post
    sw7 will probably be on every screen of every theatre, so this is probably a moo point.
    eat mor chik'n!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    SW7 will probably be on every screen of every theatre, so this is probably a moo point.
    Yeah, I was thinking after I pondered that idea, that I could have said it better. To be sure, NO OTHER MOVIE is going to do well that weekend. But..maybe they'll make 4 million instead of only two.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Creed is my last pick.

...Creed is my dark horse. It comes out five days after Hunger Games which certainly doesn't help, but it has a strong lead...
    Scott Stapp really went off the deep end in some ways.

In our voting, Peanuts has now overtaken KFP3, 18-16. Until yesterday, the little red haired girl was lagging behind.

I'm torn. I want the Pixar movie and the Peanuts so bad, but I think they will hurt each other. While KFP3 is in that January wasteland, I see no kid competition for it.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I'm torn. I want the Pixar movie and the Peanuts so bad, but I think they will hurt each other. While KFP3 is in that January wasteland, I see no kid competition for it.
    I think what will hurt Peanuts more than anything it is that is opening the same weekend as Spectre, which being PG-13 will be able to draw lots of youth. However, it is also opening early in our contest and I am crossing fingers it will have legs to last long into the season.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    I think what will hurt Peanuts more than anything it is that is opening the same weekend as Spectre, which being PG-13 will be able to draw lots of youth. However, it is also opening early in our contest and I am crossing fingers it will have legs to last long into the season.
    As much as I wanted to vote for it, I thought it would be considered dated, and won't be as popular with the kids as KFP. It's actually getting almost too "old" for the parents. The strip ended in 2000, 15 years ago. I'm waiting to see if it's true to Schulz, or if it's an update that goes over like the Muppets new show has. (Wish I knew that before I voted, though!)

While KFP3 is in that January wasteland, I see no kid competition for it.
    Yeah, but there is a reason kid movies don't tend to get released in January... because kids don't go to the movies in January. Kids go to the movies when school is out (summer and the winter holidays).

-Jason "that said, KFP3 is a solid choice... I need to figure out which 6 I am picking" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    As much as I wanted to vote for it, I thought it would be considered dated, and won't be as popular with the kids as KFP. It's actually getting almost too "old" for the parents. The strip ended in 2000, 15 years ago. I'm waiting to see if it's true to Schulz, or if it's an update that goes over like the Muppets new show has. (Wish I knew that before I voted, though!)
    I agree with this take on the Peanuts movie. I'm 38, I never found the comic strip funny and only watch the TV specials because of my wife's nostalgia regarding them. My son is 3 and has absolutely no idea who Snoopy is. While he is a little young, he definitely knows Mickey Mouse, Miles from Tomorrowland and Super Why.

I think this will get some nostalgia from parents but unless there is surprisingly good story here I can't see anyone under 30 caring about this movie at all.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    ...Peanuts movie...I...only watch the TV specials because of my wife's nostalgia regarding them...I can't see anyone under 30 caring about this movie at all.
    Playing devil's advocate...might a number of kids see this movie precisely because of nostalgia among their parents (the paying customers)?

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Playing devil's advocate...might a number of kids see this movie precisely because of nostalgia among their parents (the paying customers)?
    Yup..kids ain't paying the cost of tickets. How many kids knew who Anna, Elsa and Olaf were before Frozen came out? I think who the characters are is irrelevant to a kid unless it's a sequel. Make it a good story, and they'll pile on for more.

Make it a good story, and they'll pile on for more.
    Story, hell. Make the colors bright and the noises loud. That's why crap like this keeps making money.
    Last edited by wilson; 10-28-2015 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    I agree with this take on the Peanuts movie. I'm 38, I never found the comic strip funny and only watch the TV specials because of my wife's nostalgia regarding them. My son is 3 and has absolutely no idea who Snoopy is. While he is a little young, he definitely knows Mickey Mouse, Miles from Tomorrowland and Super Why.

I think this will get some nostalgia from parents but unless there is surprisingly good story here I can't see anyone under 30 caring about this movie at all.
    My 12, 10, and 7 year olds watch the Great Pumpkin, Thanksgiving, and Christmas specials every year and love them. All three can't wait for this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Yup..kids ain't paying the cost of tickets. How many kids knew who Anna, Elsa and Olaf were before Frozen came out? I think who the characters are is irrelevant to a kid unless it's a sequel. Make it a good story, and they'll pile on for more.
    I thought that is pretty much what I said. Parents will bring their kids. However, I don't see this being a great story that will cause people to say you have to see this movie or for little kids to clamor for repeat viewings.

My 12, 10, and 7 year olds watch the Great Pumpkin, Thanksgiving, and Christmas specials every year and love them. All three can't wait for this movie.
    I might be dead wrong. I just never got Peanuts. Guess I should put my votes where my mouth is
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook