Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Duke @ Miami

Duke @ Miami

Duke travels to Miami this Saturday to face the Canes and their high-powered offense. Miami is favored to win by 21 points. While I easily agree that Miami should be favored and agree that a Duke victory would be a huge upset, I believe 21 points is a bit large for the spread.

My opinion is that Duke's offense is hitting on all eight cylinders and capable of putting up a decent amount of points on the Canes so Duke will easily cover the spread. With a couple of key Miami turnovers at critical points in the game and a little 4th Quarter luck (we are overdue for some luck), Duke pulls off a huge upset.

Go Duke! Beat Miami!
    Bob Green

yeah 21 too large

yeah 21 is a little large for a team that lost by 55 to oklahoma

especially when we have been playin so well

i was talkin to eron riley and it sounds like that lost actually got the team more excited for this week

prediction: Duke 34 Miami 41

Close game but i dont see a victory
    Last edited by throatybeard; 09-26-2007 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post

i was talkin to eron riley and it sounds like that lost actually got the team more excited for this week

I hope you are right, and while I agree with Bob that our offense is starting to come together, I think there needs to be an asterisk there: our PASSING offense is doing well, but we still have ZERO ZILCH NADA on the ground. Navy had a mediocre defense...and we only got 78 yards on the ground! We'll need a running game against Thug U.

Also, while our offense seems to be clicking, and Miami isn't the team it once was, Northwester and Navy ain't Miami.

I think 21 points is fair, b/c while we have a good shot of scoring some points and hanging in there, we are Duke, and we have an equally good shot of getting blown out, especially on the road. This year is still a rebuilding year as far as I'm concerned, and the fact that Thad is playing so well in only his 14/15th game, is promising. I think next year with some of the bigtime recruits having a bunch of experience under their belts, we might actually win 3,4 or 5 games. This year is still a wash the way I see it.

Thug U: 41 Duke: 17
    Last edited by throatybeard; 09-26-2007 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post

You may well be right, but can you tone down the bolds just a bit? It's rough on the eyes.

thanks,

-jk

Shouldn't a football offense be hitting on eleven cylinders?

I dunno, but if I can get a broadband internet play-by-play, I'm cranking my PC speakers up to 11!

The offense has shown that they are capable of scoring some points, but my concern is that the defense has not shown that they can stop anyone.

The old saying is true, offense sells tickets but defense wins ballgames. I think this year proves that. Duke should be 4-0.

It is going to be ugly.

UM 38

Duke 10

Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    It is going to be ugly.

UM 38

Duke 10
    I think it'll be closer than that.

I'm a fan of both of these teams (went to Duke; grew up in Miami), and I'll be at the game on Saturday in my Duke clothes. I want Duke to look good, but in the end, I guess I'm not really pulling for the upset. The Miami program is gathering momentum and the last thing we need is a loss to Duke. It isn't that I'm more of a Miami fan than a Duke fan; in fact, I'd say it's the opposite. It's just about where these programs are right now. Duke can live with a loss to Miami, and while a win would be pretty special, I still don't think it would propel the program to anything much. The Duke program needs a lot of time and a lot of work.

I think the over/under on this game is 47. I would certainly take the over on this one, if I were a betting man. Duke is not going to be able to stop Miami, which is why they're going to lose. Miami has two excellent RBs, and while our WRs are just awful, they'll still be able to outrun the Duke defense. They just need to catch the freaking ball. Kyle Wright looked good last week, and this matchup should be even easier for him. OTOH, I think Duke can put up some points. The "Boyle For A Yard" stuff isn't going to get it done against the Canes stiff run D. Miami shut down a much better Texas A&M running game last week. But if they let Thaddeus Lewis loose, and if the OL can keep Calais Campbell off his butt, I think Duke can get 2-3 TDs.

I see it ending up something like 38-21 in favor of Miami.

GO DUKE!!! GO MIAMI!!!

Also, I kind of resent the "Thug U" comments, although they're understandable considering Da U's past. There's a new regime in place now, and I can pretty much guarantee that stuff is in the past. If you don't know much about the new coach Randy Shannon, I suggest you read a little about him. Very interesting (and sad) life story, but you believe him when he says he's not going to put up with any of that mess. His players even admit to being a little scared of him.

Radio

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I dunno, but if I can get a broadband internet play-by-play, I'm cranking my PC speakers up to 11!
    I think someone in chat linked to yahoo sports 2 games ago and they were streaming both teams' radio broadcasts. Also this site http://www.theboss.us/ has streamed games in the past.

And Kudos to BobGreen for predicting a Duke win on Saturday. I'll extend my title to surround you for a few days, sort of like extending one's shields around another star ship! (I was in the mood for a Star Trek reference.)
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Unlike last year or the year before, we're good enough to catch one of the middle-of-the-pack ACC teams napping this year. Individually, the odds aren't good at beating Miami, or beating Wake, or beating Georgia Tech, or beating FSU. But collectively... I think we take down one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mabdul Doobakus View Post
    Also, I kind of resent the "Thug U" comments, although they're understandable considering Da U's past. There's a new regime in place now, and I can pretty much guarantee that stuff is in the past.
    Not to be mean, but I mean come on. YOU can pretty much guarantee whats going on in the inner circles of UM football???

moreover, miami has been a dirty program since jimmy johnson. I think the problem at UM lies with upper administration/board and so a new regime means little to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Not to be mean, but I mean come on. YOU can pretty much guarantee whats going on in the inner circles of UM football???

moreover, miami has been a dirty program since jimmy johnson. I think the problem at UM lies with upper administration/board and so a new regime means little to me.
    Nothing is "going on" in the inner circles because there have been no disciplinary issues to speak of. The players know if there's another fight like there was last year they will be heavily disciplined and possibly kicked off the team. I know that this program will be clean for the same reason I know the Duke basketball program will be clean...I have total faith in the man in charge to stick to his word.

Nothing is "going on" in the inner circles because there have been no disciplinary issues to speak of.
    we're only 4 games in...have a little faith.

The players know if there's another fight like there was last year they will be heavily disciplined and possibly kicked off the team. I know that this program will be clean for the same reason I know the Duke basketball program will be clean...I have total faith in the man in charge to stick to his word.
    If you really wanna throw randy shannon in with the likes of Coach K in terms of integrity, be my guest. But I'm afraid I disagree. Coach K is widely known for his impeccable integrity and he has quite the pedigree to back it up: West Point, then Boddy Knight, another coach who despite troubles with his temper, is known for his integrity and passion for not only basketball but academics. Shannon came up under Dennis Erickson, who wasn't exactly clean, and shannon doesn't have enough of a track record to really base much on, especially not compared to Krzyzewski's.

If you want to have faith in him, that's fine, but you really want to compare him to K?

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    we're only 4 games in...have a little faith.

If you really wanna throw randy shannon in with the likes of Coach K in terms of integrity, be my guest. But I'm afraid I disagree. Coach K is widely known for his impeccable integrity and he has quite the pedigree to back it up: West Point, then Boddy Knight, another coach who despite troubles with his temper, is known for his integrity and passion for not only basketball but academics. Shannon came up under Dennis Erickson, who wasn't exactly clean, and shannon doesn't have enough of a track record to really base much on, especially not compared to Krzyzewski's.

If you want to have faith in him, that's fine, but you really want to compare him to K?
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...910/index.html

He might not have the track record or the pedigree of K, but I'd put Shannon right up there in terms of integrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Unlike last year or the year before, we're good enough to catch one of the middle-of-the-pack ACC teams napping this year. Individually, the odds aren't good at beating Miami, or beating Wake, or beating Georgia Tech, or beating FSU. But collectively... I think we take down one of them.
    I agree (or at least I'd really like to). Something along the lines of Climpsun '04(?).

Quote Originally Posted by asbcheeks View Post

He might not have the track record or the pedigree of K, but I'd put Shannon right up there in terms of integrity.
    Hey Shannon sounds like a great guy and is apparently full of integrity. But we need to see him coach for a few years at least before we put him up there with the guys who have decades of integrity under their belt. That would be true even if he was the second coming of Mother Theressa.

Also, the problems at Miami and other programs that have been corrupt in the past are not something that only falls at the feet of the head coach. An entire school, including the big-money boosters, must be committed to honesty and integrity for it to really work. Miami simply does not have a good track record in this regard. While the school's recent statements and decisions appear to be on the right course, it is still a matter of time before we know for sure how things are working out.

--Jason "the ACC is not like the SEC in terms of cheating... Miami knows this" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by asbcheeks View Post

Oh my god. A sports illustrated writer thinks he's a good guy. consider me converted.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Hey Shannon sounds like a great guy and is apparently full of integrity. But we need to see him coach for a few years at least before we put him up there with the guys who have decades of integrity under their belt. That would be true even if he was the second coming of Mother Theressa.

Also, the problems at Miami and other programs that have been corrupt in the past are not something that only falls at the feet of the head coach. An entire school, including the big-money boosters, must be committed to honesty and integrity for it to really work. Miami simply does not have a good track record in this regard. While the school's recent statements and decisions appear to be on the right course, it is still a matter of time before we know for sure how things are working out.

--Jason "the ACC is not like the SEC in terms of cheating... Miami knows this" Evans
    Silky "Jason is usually more eloquent and less obnoxious than me" J

Also, I kind of resent the "Thug U" comments, although they're understandable considering Da U's past. There's a new regime in place now, and I can pretty much guarantee that stuff is in the past. If you don't know much about the new coach Randy Shannon, I suggest you read a little about him. Very interesting (and sad) life story, but you believe him when he says he's not going to put up with any of that mess. His players even admit to being a little scared of him.
    You and I are one in the same in regards to Duke and UM except my order of preferrence is the opposite.

You can expect immature, ignorant, juvenile comments when dealing with sports based boards. Think of that type of remark as the same as spelling Duke with two O's. Think of that type of opinion as the same as the "Duke gets all the calls" hogwash. You can spend your time trying to educate and arguing or you can just let it slide and let the posters own words speak for them.