Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Game 4 was much more fun. Kudos to Pennington for giving pitching a try. Hope today's game is as much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Game 4 was much more fun. Kudos to Pennington for giving pitching a try. Hope today's game is as much fun.
    Our RA trade for Noah and Travis looking pretty decent at this point. Buy low, sell high. LGM!

One Reason the Mets Are Winning

In 27 innings, the slash-line of the Cubs' leadoff batters is .000/.074/.000. One walk and one HBP in 27 plate appearances.

By comparison, the Mets are .273/.360/.273 (6-22, all singles, plus three walks).
    Last edited by burnspbesq; 10-21-2015 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    In 27 innings, the slash-line of the Cubs' leadoff batters is .000/.074/.000. One walk and one HBP in 27 plate appearances.

By comparison, the Mets are .273/.360/.273 (6-22, all singles, plus three walks).
    I would say that is indicative of how well the Mets' starters are pitching. They have been outstanding. It certainly doesn't hurt that the temps have been in the 40s and 50s. Harder to hit 96+ mph fastballs in colder weather. But even still, you have to hit your spots with those heaters, and the Mets have been doing that. They have been magnificent. And the result is very few baserunners for the Cubs.

The Mets are also winning (to a more marginal benefit, but winning) in the "little baseball plays" dept. The Cubs are the ones making the mistakes in the series, and the Mets aren't. Quite a change from the Cubs/Cards series.

Also, someone please remind Daniel Murphy that he isn't this good. He has more HR the last two weeks than he has had in most seasons of his career! Just an amazing hot stretch for him at just the right time for them.

Shhhh - don't jinx it. I made a wager before the playoffs started that it would be a Royals-Mets series. SO close.

Quote Originally Posted by gurufrisbee View Post
    Shhhh - don't jinx it. I made a wager before the playoffs started that it would be a Royals-Mets series. SO close.
    Sorry, but I am a Cubs fan here. Unfortunately for me, it looks like you willget your wish though, and I will have to wait until next year (again).

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Also, someone please remind Daniel Murphy that he isn't this good. He has more HR the last two weeks than he has had in most seasons of his career! Just an amazing hot stretch for him at just the right time for them.
    Let's not remind him until November.

The Mets have a decision with Murphy. I suspect they'll make the qualifying offer ($15.8 million I think). Even if he rejects it, the draft pick might dissuade someone else from stepping in. I hope he's back. Always liked him, warts and all. Hits for average, doesn't strike out, can play multiple positions (even if none at a high level), bleeds blue and orange. Hate to see him in the Bronx...

Congrats to the Mets on a well-earned series win. They will be a tough out in the WS.

Can't say that I care for Murphy (he of the 62 career HR in 7 seasons prior to the last two weeks, and he of the homophobic comments earlier this season) being so key in the win. But the Mets dominated that series in every way.

Offeeason checklist for the Cubs: get a healthy Russell, teach Schwarber to play defense, and get another ace or two for the staff.

Quote Originally Posted by gurufrisbee View Post
    I will now wait for the 9th inning Royals attempt to come from behind game tomorrow night only to see them come up 1 run short - to be followed by a humiliating defeat in game 7. (NON lives! )

I suppose that if I'm thinking strategically, I should be rooting for KC to win the ALCS. That would eliminate the possibility of a Harvey vs. Stroman matchup in the World Series, which would be really awkward for those of us who support both Duke and the Mets.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    I suppose that if I'm thinking strategically, I should be rooting for KC to win the ALCS. That would eliminate the possibility of a Harvey vs. Stroman matchup in the World Series, which would be really awkward for those of us who support both Duke and the Mets.
    Nah...not awkward at all. That day I am, gulp, a Heel. Not an issue to me...(sorry all)

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Nah...not awkward at all. That day I am, gulp, a Heel. Not an issue to me...(sorry all)

Oh my...you're going to have to file some extensive paperwork with the head office for a special temporary annulment.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Oh my...you're going to have to file some extensive paperwork with the head office for a special temporary annulment.
    The poster will henceforth be known as uke74.

Let's go, Royals!

[QUOTE=DukieInKansas;832633]The poster will henceforth be known as uke74. QUOTE]

Cute.

Duke74
    Attached Images Attached Images

Let's go, Royals!
    [QUOTE=duke74;832637]
    The poster will henceforth be known as uke74. QUOTE]

Cute.

Duke74

Be very, very careful because if you take away the "e," the poster will then be known as missing the D and the E and called simply uk 74 .

I pretty much no longer have any dog/s in the MLB fights any more.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Wrong, wrong strategy ... I faced this dilemma when Stroman pitched against my Yankees. I went into those games hoping he would throw 8 perfect innings, but the Yankees would rally for 10 runs in the 9th against the Blue Jays' bullpen.

To retain your Duke credentials, if the Harvey-Stroman matchup occurs, you must pull for Harvey to be rocked by the Blue Jays, while Stroman pitches a strong start ... your Mets can pull it out with a rally against the Blue Jays bullpen.

You absolutely cannot voluntarily become a Tar Heel for a day ... or even a minute.

It's like a virgin taking a day off from abstinence ... once you do that, there's no going back.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Wrong, wrong strategy ... I faced this dilemma when Stroman pitched against my Yankees. I went into those games hoping he would throw 8 perfect innings, but the Yankees would rally for 10 runs in the 9th against the Blue Jays' bullpen.

To retain your Duke credentials, if the Harvey-Stroman matchup occurs, you must pull for Harvey to be rocked by the Blue Jays, while Stroman pitches a strong start ... your Mets can pull it out with a rally against the Blue Jays bullpen.

You absolutely cannot voluntarily become a Tar Heel for a day ... or even a minute.

It's like a virgin taking a day off from abstinence ... once you do that, there's no going back.
    Clever, OF (you Yankees fan, you). I don't want any of my boy-wonder pitchers rocked, for the psyche aspects, so I can't go by that strategy. So how about this - scoreless 'til the ninth, and we score to win 1-0. Clean sheets for both. (And, in deference to my maintaining my virginity (oops), I take back my "Heel for a day" comment...point taken)

May be moot unless Price pitches like a no. 1 in the post-season tonight. Maybe he and Ventura will pitch 15 innings each and be unavailable come Tuesday on regardless of who survives.

BTW, my matriculation and my son's are irrevocable creds I think. (Together we spent 8X the years - and infinity times the tuition - that Jabari, Justise, Tyus and Oak spent individually. Yeah, I think I'm a Dukie...and my Duke74 license plate vouches for it.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Let's go, Royals!
    Oh snap! DinK with the face wash stuff!

Argh, I'm throwing in with the royal...AL baby! Besides, the royal first base coach is Rusty Kuntz, member of the 1984 World Series Champion Detroit Tigers.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Really interesting situation tonight with Price going for the Blue Jays in another elimination game.

Much like Kershaw, he's a guy whose reputation has taken a hit due to his poor postseason performance (an era of over 5.00).

He could go a long way toward repairing that image tonight.

There's also the angle that he's an unrestricted free agent and every game he pitches now for the Blue Jays could be his last for them. Or can they re-sign him? Will winning (at least the pennant) make him more likely to sign with Toronto ... and make Toronto more likely to lay out the big bucks to sign him?

If he bombs tonight how ill that impact the bidding -- for an "ace" pitcher who can't win when it counts?

I really don't know the answers to those questions. I just think it will be interesting to see. I kind of hope the Blue Jays win tonight, just so we have a game seven ...

If Stroman goes tomorrow night in Game 7, then he would be lined up either to go in Game 2 on short rest or in Game 3 with an extra day. With five days off, the Mets have pretty much complete flexibility in terms of how they line up their pitching. Stroman vs. Harvey in Game 3 looks like a real possibility.