Cut's Sunday update

A couple of bits of news from Coach Cut's Sunday teleconference.

-- Sophomore CB T.J. Douglas, who as been on suspension for the first four games this season, had been dismissed from the Duke football program. No reason or explanation given and Cut would not comment on the news.

-- Sophomore wide receiver Terrence Als, who has also been on suspension, remains on the team, but remains on indefinite suspension. He won't play against Boston College.

-- Good news on the injury front. The x-rays of Casey Blaser's foot revealed no break. That doesn't mean he'll definitely be back for the BC game, but a broken toe (which was feared) would have been a season-ending injury. We'll have to wait until Thursday to find his status for the BC game, but even if he does miss this one, he's likely to be back soon.

-- Also good news, no after-effects for Jela Duncan after his first game back after missing the first three with a torn pectoral muscle (and all of last year) with a suspension. He had four carries for 23 yards against GTECH, plus a pass reception for five yards. Cut said he should be in line for even more action this week.

-- Sophomore RB Joe Ajiegbe, who also missed three games with a preseason injury, also returned to action against GTECH, playing on special teams. Cut said he had a key block on Devon Edwards' 100 yard kickoff return. Cut also said that he's likely to get some carries at tailback this week.

-- No big changes with WR Johnel Barnes missing the first half of the BC game due to suspension after his later targeting penalty against GTECH. Chris Taylor and T.J,. Rahming who had been sharing one wide out spot, will probably both start. Cut said getting a freshman Barnes back for the second half will be a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    A couple of bits of news from Coach Cut's Sunday teleconference.

-- Sophomore CB T.J. Douglas, who as been on suspension for the first four games this season, had been dismissed from the Duke football program. No reason or explanation given and Cut would not comment on the news.

-- Sophomore wide receiver Terrence Als, who has also been on suspension, remains on the team, but remains on indefinite suspension. He won't play against Boston College.

-- Good news on the injury front. The x-rays of Casey Blaser's foot revealed no break. That doesn't mean he'll definitely be back for the BC game, but a broken toe (which was feared) would have been a season-ending injury. We'll have to wait until Thursday to find his status for the BC game, but even if he does miss this one, he's likely to be back soon.

-- Also good news, no after-effects for Jela Duncan after his first game back after missing the first three with a torn pectoral muscle (and all of last year) with a suspension. He had four carries for 23 yards against GTECH, plus a pass reception for five yards. Cut said he should be in line for even more action this week.

-- Sophomore RB Joe Ajiegbe, who also missed three games with a preseason injury, also returned to action against GTECH, playing on special teams. Cut said he had a key block on Devon Edwards' 100 yard kickoff return. Cut also said that he's likely to get some carries at tailback this week.

-- No big changes with WR Johnel Barnes missing the first half of the BC game due to suspension after his later targeting penalty against GTECH. Chris Taylor and T.J,. Rahming who had been sharing one wide out spot, will probably both start. Cut said getting a freshman Barnes back for the second half will be a plus.
    If Blaser has to miss the BC game, then my best guess is that Tanner Stone will move to RT--where he played last season--and Austin Davis will start at RG. Sterling Korona could also move over from backup LT.

With Duncan and Ajiegbe back, I wonder what will happen with Pierre. Is he more valuable as a fifth RB or a third QB? If it were up to me, I'd move him back to QB, where Duke needs some insurance more than at RB. But I'm not getting paid the big bucks to make that call.

Sorry to hear about Douglas. I suspect he would never have been a rotation player. But Duke thought enough of him to offer him and he thought enough of Duke to accept. It's always unfortunate when these things don't work out.

Apparently Douglas' dismissal was the result of a DUI arrest.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article...f-3aa3ac1d2172

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

I wish the young man well and hope he goes on to great things.

Hope Casey has a quick and full recovery, met some of his family on the flight from El Paso and they all seem like good people.

Go Duke, beat BC!

There's work to done. Please go to the tread about Jeremy Cash's nomination for this week's LOTT Impact Award, vote an then share the link to encourage others to vote.

David Helton was one of the finalists for this prestigious award last year.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

If Douglas decides to stay at Duke, how long does he keep his scholarship?

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    If Douglas decides to stay at Duke, how long does he keep his scholarship?
    NCAA rules say a year, but didn't Duke just commit to 4 year schollies?

I'm sure there is a stipulation about off-field driven dismissals.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    NCAA rules say a year, but didn't Duke just commit to 4 year schollies?

I'm sure there is a stipulation about off-field driven dismissals.
    Duke is not going to give a scholarship to someone dismissed from the team for repeated offenses, culminating in a DUI address.

I would assume he's okay for the rest of the semester. After that, I trust Duke will do whatever it takes to find him a safe landing spot.