Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Welcome to Duke, Javin Delaurier!!

Welcome to Duke, Javin

Top 50 power forward Javin DeLaurier just committed to Duke:

http://www.scout.com/college/basketb...r-commits-duke

The 6-9, 205 pounder is No. 44 on ESPN's 2016 list. He's from Charlottesville, Va.

He joins No. 2 Jayson Tatum and No. 14 Frank Jackson in Duke's 2016 class. Now, if we can just add No. 1 Harry Giles, it will be complete. He visits Duke on Halloween.

PS No inside info, but I would guess this makes it less likely that Duke adds Gabriel, unless we miss on Giles.

Seems like we got a great multi-year guy with lots of upside and a great head on his shoulders.

He scored a 32 on his ACT and apparently wants to be a Pre-Med at Duke.

No big press conference or Skype call necessary — a simple Tweet and that's that. Love this kid's style.

Welcome, Javin!

Exciting stuff! I'm definitely in the "don't pay much attention until they commit" camp...time to bring up some highlight videos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPo5Pq6IpR8
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Now, if we can just add No. 1 Harry Giles and Marques Bolden, it will be complete.
    FTFY.

Welcome, indeed!

Isn't this board devoted to Duke Football?

Seriously, seems like a great kid. Nice to have some basketball news!

Not saying anything new here, but K and the staff are straight up murdering the recruiting game these days. This very, very good player will likely be a footnote in his incoming class. Extraordinary.

And thank you for matriculating, Mr. DeLaurier! We already love you.

This is awesome news.

I do have a scholarship limit question that I know has been answered a million times but it is good to hear the explanation again from those that are knowledgeable.

By my count the 2016-17 bball team COULD include

Seniors: Jones and Pagliuca
    Juniors: Allen and Obi
    Sophomores: Kennard, Thornton, Ingram, Robinson, Jeter, Vrankovic
    Freshmen: Jackson, Tatum, DeLaurier and....

Without any other commitments that is 13 players. So if Duke gets additional commitments from Giles and Bolden we should expect a few folks on the team listed above to not have scholarships in 2016-17?

(I am trying to state that without affecting team karma.)

Walk-ons with a scholarship are always year to year. Pagiluca and Robinson can always go back to walk-on status. Their daddy's can afford it. That being said, the coaches are expecting some to go pro.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    This is awesome news.

I do have a scholarship limit question that I know has been answered a million times but it is good to hear the explanation again from those that are knowledgeable.

By my count the 2016-17 bball team COULD include

Seniors: Jones and Pagliuca
    Juniors: Allen and Obi
    Sophomores: Kennard, Thornton, Ingram, Robinson, Jeter, Vrankovic
    Freshmen: Jackson, Tatum, DeLaurier and....

Without any other commitments that is 13 players. So if Duke gets additional commitments from Giles and Bolden we should expect a few folks on the team listed above to not have scholarships in 2016-17?

(I am trying to state that without affecting team karma.)
    Robinson and Pagliuca, being walk-ons, should only expect scholarships when Duke doesn't have 13 recruited players on the roster. Brandon Ingram is also 99% 1-and-done.

Welcome to Duke, Javin! I like that we're striking while the iron is hot and trying to land a big class, possibly 6 players if all of Giles, Bolden, and Gabriel commit. Recruiting analysts love the depth of this 2016 class, so a DeLaurier who is ranked 40-ish in this class might've been a top-25 player in another class. It makes sense to go deep into the scholarship allotment for this class, imo.

Welcome Javin!

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Robinson and Pagliuca, being walk-ons, should only expect scholarships when Duke doesn't have 13 recruited players on the roster. Brandon Ingram is also 99% 1-and-done.

Welcome to Duke, Javin! I like that we're striking while the iron is hot and trying to land a big class, possibly 6 players if all of Giles, Bolden, and Gabriel commit. Recruiting analysts love the depth of this 2016 class, so a DeLaurier who is ranked 40-ish in this class might've been a top-25 player in another class. It makes sense to go deep into the scholarship allotment for this class, imo.
    Thanks Chillduck (previous post) and Troublemaker for the info....

No problem, Mark.

I'm sure this young man's "motor" has been mentioned before, but just in case:

Evan Daniels@EvanDaniels 2h2 hours ago
    In early August I asked more than 100 D1 college coaches who had the best motor in high school hoops. Javin DeLaurier finished No. 1.

WELCOME!!!

A championship decision. Well done.

I see lance thomas and to quote my favorite felon.."And that's a good thing."

I love reading these stories...

“You never really know because I had thought that before, but the moment I knew I was going to go was on Friday night,” he said. “I had dinner and they took me to Cameron. The lights were dimmed and I knew I wanted to go to Duke.

WELCOME to DUKE!!!!!!!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Never tire of hearing about quality players coming to the best school in the land.

Go Devils!

9F!

Very happy with the fact that Javin is a Blue Devil. He's going to be a great representative for Duke!

Yay!

Congrats Javin, and congrats coaching staff for once again crushing it.

I really like this player: smart, raw, long, mobile, and clearly a huge Duke fan.

I didn't know a lot about him, so I did some reading (some premium stuff, some web stuff, some highlight reels). I can't believe he's only top 50 given that he didn't miss any of his highlight reel shots! Jokes aside, he is a really unique player.

I don't agree with the Lance Thomas comparisons as LT was one of the most versatile defenders to ever play at Duke. Javin certainly has the potential to be a great defender at Duke, but it'll take something else to get him to LT levels. Also, Javin is both mobile below the rim and above the rim whereas LT was only mobile below the rim. LT wasn't athletic, but Javin certainly is. Another big difference is that LT was very limited offensively. He was decent at scoring around the rim, but LT's jumpshot was never a legitimate tool. Javin, apparently, has jumpshot (including a 3pt shot), but clearly needs improvement everywhere offensively.

I'm not sure who the best comp for Javin is. He's a high energy guy with potential defensive gifts and a basic but versatile offensive set (ie score around the rim and a decent jumpshot). Regardless, looking forward to watching him develop!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club