Page 101 of 145 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 2887
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    I guess I will have to live with an early season out of conference loss to Wofford, it should be much easier than your struggle after being bounced early in the dance by Lehigh...
    Does this mean we get to laugh about Weber State again, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Does this mean we get to laugh about Weber State again, too?
    Sure. I do all the time...

Yea, that was wishful thinking.

We'll still have a deep top 10 team, that will be competitive with anyone.
    can't wait to see how competitive the holes are with us this year
    "I wanted it to be in my hands," Roach said of his game-sealing drive. "I wanted to take—I wanted that moment."

"Definitely was a bit personal for me," Roach added. "I mean, what happened last year, obviously, but just wanted to come out here and do anything I can to get this win, and we did that." Duke-Carolina, Cameron Indoor, Feb. 4th 2023

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Didn’t Emmert recently say he wants changes put in place before the start of the 2018 season? How about all players have to stay two years. 8-)
    That would be a disaster for Duke.

When (if???) the new rules are put in place, almost everyone expects high school players to be allowed to turn pro immediately -- like in the Kobe, Lebron, days -- or go to school for a minimum of 2 years. Given that choice, I'm betting only Tre shows up on Duke's campus next year... and even he would be iffy (though I could see Duval and/or Trent stick around because the 2018 NBA draft class would be the most loaded class in history). Anyway, when the NCAA and NBA make this change, it has the potential to have a major major impact on Duke's roster. I am betting they will give the recruits and the teams plenty of lead time to figure out how to deal with it.

-Jason "I suspect we will hear in the NBA off-season this sumer that the new rule will come into place in a year or maybe even two" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Now that we have Zion, I think that allows Reddish to play more on the wing. But a Jones/Barrett/Trent/Reddish/Williamson lineup might be pretty devastating too. That’s 5 guys who can handle the ball and pass like a guard.

Also allows us to still be 7-8 deep even if Trent goes pro. This commit opened up a lot of good possibilities.
    College lineup of death? I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Now that we have Zion, I think that allows Reddish to play more on the wing. But a Jones/Barrett/Trent/Reddish/Williamson lineup might be pretty devastating too. That’s 5 guys who can handle the ball and pass like a guard.

Also allows us to still be 7-8 deep even if Trent goes pro. This commit opened up a lot of good possibilities.
    Completely agree with this.

One thing to note about the forwrads (Barrett, Reddish, and Williamsnon): They can all handle the ball. When Duke has employed a small forward in a stretch-4 role, that player sometimes struggled from the perimeter. He was able to shoot over the smaller defender but was not so adept at driving against them. The ball handling skills of the forwards coming in next year are all as good or better than any similar players that have played for Duke from what I can tell. I fully expect that all three will begin on the perimeter and slash to the rim for layups or kickouts. Just find the guy with the biggest matchup problem.

On defense, there are a couple of options. They might pick up man-to-man a little faster than this team has. Marvin Bagley III and Wendell Carter, Jr. have struggled at times to defend players on the perimeter. Carter, Jr. has strayed too far from the rim, where he is most effective on defense. A trio of wings + PG and C should have an easier time of staying with their man. Bolden is pretty adept at hedging screens and seems to fit - on paper - with the personnel the 2018-19 squad will have. That, or they can switch everything - especially when DeLaurier is playing. But the length of these three might also allow them to be successful in a zone for stretches of time. Both Barrett and Williamson are about 6'6" with a 6'10" wingspan while Reddish is about 6'7" with a 7'0" wingspan. With Bolden or DeLaurier - both have very long arms and are 6'10" tall+ - the team can cover a lot of ground. We'll have to see how they play collectively to know if the defense will be there. I expect some struggles early in the season. But the defensive potential here is quite high.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

When (if???) the new rules are put in place, almost everyone expects high school players to be allowed to turn pro immediately -- like in the Kobe, Lebron, days -- or go to school for a minimum of 2 years. Given that choice, I'm betting only Tre shows up on Duke's campus next year... and even he would be iffy (though I could see Duval and/or Trent stick around because the 2018 NBA draft class would be the most loaded class in history). Anyway, when the NCAA and NBA make this change, it has the potential to have a major major impact on Duke's roster. I am betting they will give the recruits and the teams plenty of lead time to figure out how to deal with it.

-Jason "I suspect we will hear in the NBA off-season this sumer that the new rule will come into place in a year or maybe even two" Evans
    Yeah, I do not look forward to that rule change, as it will decimate our roster for a year or so. If our one-and-dones are given the option of skipping college, we will crater out for a year as we are reliant on 3-4 one-and-dones now.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, I do not look forward to that rule change, as it will decimate our roster for a year or so. If our one-and-dones are given the option of skipping college, we will crater out for a year as we are reliant on 3-4 one-and-dones now.
    This is part of the reason why I think Duke isn't done with the Class of 2018 yet. We may get a backup guard/forward to back-fill the spot that was occupied by Jordan Tucker and then to be a backup center a la Antonio Vrankovic. Duke has a good situation with point guard (Goldwire) and Guard/Forward (Alex O'Connell). There's a need for one or two more guys to ensure the team is capable of handling the loss of all those guys to the draft. And with 11 committed roster spots, there's room to add one or two more.

Looking at the 2019-20 class, Duke could have between 6 and 8 scholarships available to hand out. There will be 6 available if Marques Bolden and Tre Jones are still around. In either case, it will be a big class.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yep AND if K decides to retire or needs to retire due to health issues- that could spell big trouble for the program. The next few years will be interesting for Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Yeah...I stand corrected in the most egregious way.

I mean, holy cow, anyone actually think we’d land the kid without drinking the bluest of kool-aids (no offense moonpie ).

I’ll respond to this thread later, but this is the greatest recruiting coup in modern basketball history. Everyone was shocked by this announcement.
    I thought it'd be Clemson, but I'm not shocked by any means. How can anyone be shocked these days when Duke lands a recruit?

It's not like we didn't have the room for him or anything. Almost everyone is now slotting him in at the 4 next season (as we should), and everyone is happier about the possible depth and rotation with Zion on board.

I guess I will have to live with an early season out of conference loss to Wofford, it should be much easier than your struggle after being bounced early in the dance by Lehigh...
    ranked higher than lehigh

MARCUSJOHNSON.jpg
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yup, Bolden becomes a major recruit...he and DeLaurier will round things out nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    yeah...coaching staff gonna have to handle this one delicately.
    I think it's a pretty easy sell personally, and I don't believe the situation is delicate.

Due to the lack of recruitable elite big men in the high school class of 2018, the center position is wide open for Marques next season in a way that it hasn't been the past couple of seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I think it's a pretty easy sell personally, and I don't believe the situation is delicate.

Due to the lack of recruitable elite big men in the high school class of 2018, the center position is wide open for Marques next season in a way that it hasn't been the past couple of seasons.
    yeah, DeLaurier should be a given; and as long as Bolden keeps getting playing time this year and progresses (once he's healthy) he should be fine, too. But these days, nothing can be taken for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Yep. I predict we'll lose Vernon Carey due to this. But Zion, Reddish, and Barrett will be playing one year in Durham. I'm not worried about that rule change coming that quickly at all.

And K is connected enough to be very well aware. Duke will be fine. He's planning for it, and as always, it will all work out. There will be no 8-20 seasons at Duke with K at the helm. We've always adapted quickly and ahead of the curve. We've lost players like Livingston before, but K has been about as consistently good year to year as any team in college hoops.

And I think K enjoys coaching and has some more good years left!
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 01-21-2018 at 04:56 PM.

You would think that the NBA players would not want two classes of rookies in one year. But I never been impressed with the collective intelligence of the players. Still, the changes would have to be agreed to before this year's draft.

From whatever rumblings I hear, it seems the end of the NBA's one year rule will be in 2019 or 2020, more likely the former. So, we'd almost certainly lose out on Carey if he commits to Duke. But that's a bit down the road. If a 2 year requirement is implemented for those not going pro out of HS, I expect we'll lose out on a significant number of other top recruits.

I hate to be a broken record, but we could fix this by actually paying the players. We'd get much better quality college hoops.

Somebody refresh my memory. Didn't we sign another kid earlier besides Jones, Reddish, Barrett, and Williamson?

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Somebody refresh my memory. Didn't we sign another kid earlier besides Jones, Reddish, Barrett, and Williamson?
    Not in this class. We did get a commit from Joey Baker in the 2019 class.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    We got a commitment from a 2019 recruit named Joey Baker. Is that who you mean? As of right now, I think we only have the four 2018 recruits you list above.

EDIT: Ah, not fast enough to beat that Troublemaker...

Quote Originally Posted by Duke95 View Post
    From whatever rumblings I hear, it seems the end of the NBA's one year rule will be in 2019 or 2020, more likely the former. So, we'd almost certainly lose out on Carey if he commits to Duke. But that's a bit down the road. If a 2 year requirement is implemented for those not going pro out of HS, I expect we'll lose out on a significant number of other top recruits.

I hate to be a broken record, but we could fix this by actually paying the players. We'd get much better quality college hoops.
    This might have been discussed since this is not a new topic...how much would the players be paid.

A lottery type pick player, choosing between committing to 2 years of college or the NBA might expect more than lottery pick money to go to college. The reason for this is the clock has not started to get to the second contract so they would want additional compensation.

A second round type player might also want more than 2nd round money because the clock also has not started. In addition going to college might expose that they are not talented enough to be a first round pick so they would want the life changing money or take my chances with the draft.

A player that has marginal NBA or pro talent would take any money you send his way because he would choose college no matter what.

So in any pay scale for NCAA players, the NCAA is overpaying for the talent level they are getting.

Perhaps this should be an off-season topic...

------------

More to the point. It is always best to get the best players each year even if it means they will be gone in a year!! Other fan bases that say otherwise are just trying to mitigate the pain.