Page 51 of 145 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 2887
    Most of Zoubek's leap came in simply being healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I'm surprised to hear someone say this. Carter seems like a sure-fire OAD to me. Bolden looks like a guy who could need three years to develop, given his struggles last season. At most I would say their chances of leaving are equal.

Also, with respect to our big man depth in 2018 everyone seems to have written off Vrank. I don't see him being a superstar, but he could make a Zoubek/MP3 type of leap and hold down the fort in the middle without need to really do much on offense given the firepower around him.
    I haven't written off Vrank and I hope that he and Javin can provide solid veteran leadership and production in the frontcourt in 2018-19. I'm just not sure that will happen. I hope it will happen, but we haven't seen enough yet to know if that's a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I haven't written off Vrank and I hope that he and Javin can provide solid veteran leadership and production in the frontcourt in 2018-19. I'm just not sure that will happen. I hope it will happen, but we haven't seen enough yet to know if that's a possibility.
    Yeah, let's see Javin and Vrank earn and play well in 5-10 mpg this season before we start counting on them for anything next season.

The center position for 2018-19 is a legitimate concern as of right now but there are many ways it can be resolved. In order of likelihood (my gut feeling):

1. A Reclass from 2019. Seriously. I have a feeling this tactic will continue to be used by Duke and may explode in popularity around college basketball generally. It would be something we set the trend on, I believe, keeping in mind we started with Andre Dawkins in 2009.

2. junior-year Bolden

3. grad transfer

4. emergence of a new 2018 recruit

5. Vrank or Javin being a capable starter at center

If Vrank doesn't develop, Javin wouldn't be the worst option at center. He has a similar (6'9, 7' wingspan) size, but is a good bit heavier and likely stronger than Amile was at the same point in development. He is clearly more athletic. Of course you can't compare his leadership/intangibles to Amile but he wouldn't be a stretch to think he could be a useful player. He is a top 40-50 rank guy from a strong recruiting class. Unless bol bol somehow decides he wants to play for us, he'd be a better center option as a junior than almost anyone from the 18 class.

Quote Originally Posted by dchen09 View Post
    If Vrank doesn't develop, Javin wouldn't be the worst option at center. He has a similar (6'9, 7' wingspan) size, but is a good bit heavier and likely stronger than Amile was at the same point in development. He is clearly more athletic. Of course you can't compare his leadership/intangibles to Amile but he wouldn't be a stretch to think he could be a useful player. He is a top 40-50 rank guy from a strong recruiting class. Unless bol bol somehow decides he wants to play for us, he'd be a better center option as a junior than almost anyone from the 18 class.
    Sure, I think Javin could be useful even this season coming off the bench. But realistically, I don't think he's someone you want to see starting at center if you're trying to be a top-5 team in the country. I would say the same about Amile.

But like I said, there are many ways for Duke to find that starting center, so I'm not going to stress out about the 2018-19 team just yet. Now is the time to dream about the 2017-18 team and how awesome it's going to be :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Yeah, let's see Javin and Vrank earn and play well in 5-10 mpg this season before we start counting on them for anything next season.

The center position for 2018-19 is a legitimate concern as of right now but there are many ways it can be resolved. In order of likelihood (my gut feeling):

1. A Reclass from 2019. Seriously. I have a feeling this tactic will continue to be used by Duke and may explode in popularity around college basketball generally. It would be something we set the trend on, I believe, keeping in mind we started with Andre Dawkins in 2009.

2. junior-year Bolden

3. grad transfer

4. emergence of a new 2018 recruit

5. Vrank or Javin being a capable starter at center
    Also your list should include our current 2018 recruiting target bigs, right? David McCormack, Emmitt Williams, or Zion Williamson inside could form a pretty good team with Stones, Garland, Barrett, and Reddish if we were that fortunate. They would be sick, and I'd LOVE to watch that team. I'm not sure what number order of likelihood that possibility would be on your list, but it should be on there, right?

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Also your list should include our current 2018 recruiting target bigs, right? David McCormack, Emmitt Williams, or Zion Williamson inside could form a pretty good team with Stones, Garland, Barrett, and Reddish if we were that fortunate. They would be sick, and I'd LOVE to watch that team. I'm not sure what number order of likelihood that possibility would be on your list, but it should be on there, right?
    While I agree those group of players are a sick recruiting class, I don't know how I'd feel about watching that specific group as a starting 5. Without this devolving into a discussion on OAD v. experience, yada yada yada, I'm still not quite ready to watch us field a starting five of 5 freshmen.

Quote Originally Posted by atoomer0881 View Post
    While I agree those group of players are a sick recruiting class, I don't know how I'd feel about watching that specific group as a starting 5. Without this devolving into a discussion on OAD v. experience, yada yada yada, I'm still not quite ready to watch us field a starting five of 5 freshmen.
    Yeah, I agree. It feels like a lot of the board members are overstating the possibility that McCormack, in particular, could just plug in and play from day 1 in the frontcourt. He is not a Jahlil Okafor-level recruit. In fact, I think it's far more likely that Bolden, Carter, or even both are on this team in 2018-19 than McCormack at this point, however unlikely that is. And even if Duke lands McCormack, his contributions will be more important in his sophomore years and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Yeah, I agree. It feels like a lot of the board members are overstating the possibility that McCormack, in particular, could just plug in and play from day 1 in the frontcourt. He is not a Jahlil Okafor-level recruit. In fact, I think it's far more likely that Bolden, Carter, or even both are on this team in 2018-19 than McCormack at this point, however unlikely that is. And even if Duke lands McCormack, his contributions will be more important in his sophomore years and beyond.
    This keeps popping up around here for some reason. Do you think the coming of Marvin Bagley suddenly makes Wendell Carter more likely to stay in school an extra year? Everything we've heard about this kid is that he's almost a lock to leave after the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    This keeps popping up around here for some reason. Do you think the coming of Marvin Bagley suddenly makes Wendell Carter more likely to stay in school an extra year? Everything we've heard about this kid is that he's almost a lock to leave after the season.
    The chances of Carter staying for a second year are essentially zero. I also wonder why this notion keeps popping up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The chances of Carter staying for a second year are essentially zero. I also wonder why this notion keeps popping up.
    For some reason, every time I see a player of ours have interests outside of basketball, such as Carter's affinity for education and other extracurriculars (hello, a finalist of his was Harvard), I always like to imagine the possibility that maybe, just maybe, they'll stick around for a second year. Then again, I thought that about Jabari, and we see how that turned out. I mean sure, Carter is interested in education and acting. But he's also interested in basketball. So if the NBA comes calling after freshman year, he's all but gone. So yea, while I would absolutely LOVE for Carter to come back a 2nd season, I agree that it's super, super, unlikely.

True, they should be on the list, albeit low on the list. I really don't think EmWill or Zion should be playing center, and I don't think McCormack is going to be someone who's going to play much his freshman year based on recruiting rank, youtube clips, and AAU stats.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The chances of Carter staying for a second year are essentially zero.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Not quite related, but peripheral... What OAD player do you most wish came back for a sophomore campaign? Do we all vote Kyrie?

Interesting (but maybe not very) that the Kansas guy flipped his pick from Duke to Kentucky for R. J. Barrett today. Because Barrett is visiting Duke this weekend. This makes Duke and UK equal on 247 CB at 44% each.

It's a beautiful weekend in Durham, and I'm hoping for some great R. J. Barrett vibes! I think Barrett is going to be one of the great ones, and a sure-fire future NBA All-Star. He's that good.

Incidentally, for those that don't know, #1-ranked 2018 recruit RJ Barrett is officially visiting Duke this weekend. (So if you see someone who looks Canadian walking around campus, make sure to treat him well!)

Rj Barrett Retweeted

Interesting (but maybe not very) that the Kansas guy flipped his pick from Duke to Kentucky for R. J. Barrett today. This makes Duke and UK equal on 247 CB at 44% each. Because Barrett is visiting Duke this weekend.

It's a beautiful weekend in Durham, and I'm hoping for some great R. J. Barrett vibes! I think Barrett is going to be one of the great ones, and a sure-fire future NBA All-Star. He's that good.
    That's ok, between Zion and R.J I prefer Zion more due to the fact that we have Cam Red. I also prefer Garland over R.J due to my preference for starting two ball handlers.

If we do land RJ, I won't be complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Not quite related, but peripheral... What OAD player do you most wish came back for a sophomore campaign? Do we all vote Kyrie?
    http://forums.dukebasketballreport.c...omore-campaign
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Incidentally, for those that don't know, #1-ranked 2018 recruit RJ Barrett is officially visiting Duke this weekend. (So if you see someone who looks Canadian walking around campus, make sure to treat him well!) ...
    Should be easy to spot ... Dem Canadians walk on the wrong side of the street dontcha know, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Should be easy to spot ... Dem Canadians walk on the wrong side of the street dontcha know, eh?
    Ask him a question. If he says "oot" it is him.