Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Welcome to Duke, Leaonna Odom!

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Money quotes:

Duke added it’s first verbal commitment of the class of 2016 this week when 6-foot forward Leaonna Odom of Los Alimitos, Calif., gave a verbal pledge to the Joanne P. McCallie and her staff. Odom picked the ACC school over Tennessee and Texas.

Leaonna Odom is one of the most versatile players in the 2016 class.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Money quotes:
    Turns out that Odom recently transferred from Mater Dei, a basketball powerhouse, in order to move to a safer neighborhood.

She toured her next school before deciding to matriculate--and the coach didn't know she was considering a transfer.

"Rob DiMuro, Chaminade's associate athletic director, shocked his wife, the school's basketball coach, by bringing Odom by her English class.

"Everybody in my class was shocked, too," DiMuro said. "They were like: 'Who's that?' [Odom] just looks like an All-American, and that's exactly what we got...

"As soon as she saw me, she had the biggest smile from ear to ear," said Odom, the No. 7 prospect in the espnW HoopGurlz Super 60 for the 2016 class. "It was probably an exciting moment for her."

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commen...g-leaonna-odom

Great news! Duke recruiting efforts continue to be successful.
    Bob Green

She looks like Jasmine, hope she plays like her.

Hopefully the team will be healthy and Can climb back up to finish somewhere in the top 10 by the end of the season.

Welcome to Duke, great job by the coaching staff and all involved.

Why was this thread titled the way it was? Bias can be so subtle sometimes. Then sometimes it's apparent immediately.
    How about "Welcome to Duke Leaonna Odom!!"?

And welcome to Duke, Leaonna Odom!!

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Why was this thread titled the way it was? Bias can be so subtle sometimes. Then sometimes it's apparent immediately.

Seriously? What bias did I display in the thread title? What bias could possibly be displayed in a basic, factually correct thread title that links in about three seconds to an article directly elaborating on the subject?

Please inform me in what way I am or ever have been biased on the subject of Duke women's basketball.

Is that sufficiently unsubtle?

And yes, I'm P.O'd. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post

Seriously? What bias did I display in the thread title? What bias could possibly be displayed in a basic, factually correct thread title that links in about three seconds to an article directly elaborating on the subject?

Please inform me in what way I am or ever have been biased on the subject of Duke women's basketball.

Is that sufficiently unsubtle?

And yes, I'm P.O'd. Seriously.
    To the credit of you both, this is the longest a WBB thread has ever run before devolving into personal attacks. (And I was waiting for the usual suspects to show up, so this is a surprise.)

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    To the credit of you both, this is the longest a WBB thread has ever run before devolving into personal attacks. (And I was waiting for the usual suspects to show up, so this is a surprise.)
    The implied premise of Henderson's cryptic comment is preposterous and offensive. Read my body of work on Duke women's basketball on this board, on other Duke boards (especially the scout.com board), Go Duke: the Magazine, the Duke website or other publications and I defy anyone to find anything that suggests a bias against McCallie or Duke women's basketball.

And if I were biased, why would I start a thread on her gaining a commitment from a top-20 recruit? Defies rational comprehension.

The implied premise of Henderson's cryptic comment is preposterous and offensive. Read my body of work on Duke women's basketball on this board, on other Duke boards (especially the scout.com board), Go Duke: the Magazine, the Duke website or other publications and I defy anyone to find anything that suggests a bias against McCallie or Duke women's basketball.

And if I were biased, why would I start a thread on her gaining a commitment from a top-20 recruit? Defies rational comprehension.
    Lol yep I'm with you buddy. Some people are just looking for things to get offended about.

Now, you actually have a GOOD reason to be offended.

My guess is that Hendu didn't notice who started the thread. Jim is obviously a quality supporter and reporter of all things Duke. Henderson is an outstanding poster and a member whose input is on a high level.

We all want Duke's WBB team to excel. As I said unthread, welcome to the athlete and great job by the coach.

Chalk it up to honest miscommunication. Let's Go DUKE!!!

Some Odom highlights (#1 in white):

http://youtu.be/N_L7GL6PJ3A

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Some Odom highlights (#1 in white):

http://youtu.be/N_L7GL6PJ3A
    She's consistently ranked in the top 20. But I've heard from people whose opinions I respect that she's more of a top 10, maybe top-5 talent. An elite acquisition.

Playing time will be at a premium next season, especially on the perimeter. All five of Duke's incoming freshmen are wings 6-1 and shorter, two considered to be elite-level recruits. And Duke has an All-America transfer sitting out this season and she's a wing.

In other words, at least two of Greenwell, Salvadores, Lambert, Odom and Brown will be coming off the bench, unless one moves to the 4 and nobody is moving Azura Stevens out of the starting lineup.

Duke will try to bring in a true post in the next class. And projecting freshmen is always fraught with peril. Lots of can't miss recruits miss. But keep in mind that Riggs and perhaps Henson are the only players ending their playing careers this year. Duke is putting together a very, very impressive talent base.

^^ nice issue to have.

Any bigs we are looking at, or are we about done for the class?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    ^^ nice issue to have.

Any bigs we are looking at, or are we about done for the class?
    Duke would like to bring in a post. Ciera Johnson has long been a priority. She's 6-4, from Texas. But the Texas schools and schools like Notre Dame and Louisville have prioritized her. She might be a tough get.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I think Odom will average 15 mpg next year. Oh wait, this is a WBB thread.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Jim, thanks for the news, I don't follow recruiting that closely. I'd rather concentrate on the season and players on hand (nothing wrong with staying current with recruits, just not my style.)

Looking at the pictures from the team photo day, I was pleased to see 14 scholarship players and wondering who will get minutes. Do you an update on the team's overall health, specifically Lynee, Oderah and Rebecca, sine they had significant injuries and/or illnesses the past year.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Jim, thanks for the news, I don't follow recruiting that closely. I'd rather concentrate on the season and players on hand (nothing wrong with staying current with recruits, just not my style.)

Looking at the pictures from the team photo day, I was pleased to see 14 scholarship players and wondering who will get minutes. Do you an update on the team's overall health, specifically Lynee, Oderah and Rebecca, sine they had significant injuries and/or illnesses the past year.
    There it is ...