Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2015 NFL season

2015 NFL season

Let this be your collector thread for all talk about the current NFL season (aside from Deflategate and Survival football).

We can start with a chat about how monumentally stupid the Giants were at the end of their game with the Cowboys. This kind of stupidity by the coaching staff might... might... be acceptable at the high school level, but I doubt even a small D1 college would have a staff that made a mistake like this. For it to happen on a pro team... well, just inexcusable.

They clearly did not understand the rules regarding the clock and penalties.
    They clearly did not understand how scoring works in the NFL, as a TD would have won the game but they told their team not to score.
    They clearly did not understand that an incomplete pass stops the clock as they did not instruct Eli Manning to just take a sack versus throwing the ball away (what were they doing passing from the 1 yard line anyway?!?!?)

No big deal. It is a 16 game season so giving away a game on the road against a key division opponent isn't that big a deal, right?

-Jason "I find this borderline worth firing the coaching staff... and I'm not a Giants fan at all, don't give a hoot about them" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Sure ^^^ THAT was epic stupidity but the Lion allowed the CHARGER????!!! to score 30 straight points for the win.
    Yes Laken looked fine, especially for a rookie but what the h-e-sticks will ever turn this dumb-butt, lazy, worthless bunch of jerkazoids around?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Let this be your collector thread for all talk about the current NFL season (aside from Deflategate and Survival football).

We can start with a chat about how monumentally stupid the Giants were at the end of their game with the Cowboys. This kind of stupidity by the coaching staff might... might... be acceptable at the high school level, but I doubt even a small D1 college would have a staff that made a mistake like this. For it to happen on a pro team... well, just inexcusable.

They clearly did not understand the rules regarding the clock and penalties.
    They clearly did not understand how scoring works in the NFL, as a TD would have won the game but they told their team not to score.
    They clearly did not understand that an incomplete pass stops the clock as they did not instruct Eli Manning to just take a sack versus throwing the ball away (what were they doing passing from the 1 yard line anyway?!?!?)

No big deal. It is a 16 game season so giving away a game on the road against a key division opponent isn't that big a deal, right?

-Jason "I find this borderline worth firing the coaching staff... and I'm not a Giants fan at all, don't give a hoot about them" Evans
    Running back Rashard Jennings was told NOT TO SCORE

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ive-vs-cowboys

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    We can start with a chat about how monumentally stupid the Giants were at the end of their game with the Cowboys.
    I thought Coughlin was supposed to be good at clock/game management. Was I imagining that? I can kinda maybe sorta see waiting a couple plays and burning a minute and the rest of Dallas' TO's before punching it in, but that play call on 3rd down? Come on.

The fact that I could have used another TD out of Jennings for my fantasy team has nothing to do with it, either.

Also, Jennings' story doesn't even really add up. For one thing, he went nowhere on first down, and it wasn't because he just went down. The Cowboys stuffed that run easily - maybe the o-line wasn't trying to score, either? The second play he got close but still didn't look like anything other than a pretty stout defensive stand. And if it was clear to him that he could have scored on either play, as he claims, then it would have been clear to his coaches and Manning, and there's no way they'd have thrown the ball on 3rd down instead of running it one more time (or two, even, though that would have been a big risk, of course).

After tonight week 6 will be in the books. How many of you, before the season started, had the Panthers, Jets, Bengals and Falcons being a combined 20-2 at this point? Wow!

The Panthers are still a little suspect in my opinion but they keep on winning. The defense will give them a shot to be in the game most weeks. Great win yesterday but the going is still tough with the Eagles, Colts and Packers coming to Charlotte the next three weeks and still 2 match ups with the Falcons and a rematch with the Saints. If they can stay healthy I think they have a good shot of not only making the playoffs but potentially making a deep run. Sometimes Cam looks great and sometimes I wonder what the heck he's doing but overall he does seem to have matured in his decision making and is slowly becoming an elite QB in my opinion.

Right now it seems to me the Pats and the Packers should be the favorite in their respective conferences but the Panthers and Bengals are sure keeping things interesting. I feel those are the 4 best teams after these first 6 weeks.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Is no one watching the NFL this year?

For the first time ever there are 4 teams 7-0, the Pats, Broncos, Bengals and Panthers. If you went to bed early last night you missed one heck of a comeback by Luck and the Colts only to fall in overtime 29-26 to the Panthers. I'm loving watching the Panthers every week and in case you didn't know they have now won 12 straight regular season games going back to last year. They win ugly but they win. Next weeks showdown with Green Bay is huge because a Carolina victory would give them a 2 game lead in the entire NFC!

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    I'm loving watching the Panthers every week and in case you didn't know they have now won 12 straight regular season games going back to last year.
    11. The won their final 4 regular season games last year, then the wildcard game, before losing to Seattle. (Not that that's not still a really impressive run).
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Is no one watching the NFL this year?

For the first time ever there are 4 teams 7-0, the Pats, Broncos, Bengals and Panthers. If you went to bed early last night you missed one heck of a comeback by Luck and the Colts only to fall in overtime 29-26 to the Panthers. I'm loving watching the Panthers every week and in case you didn't know they have now won 12 straight regular season games going back to last year. They win ugly but they win. Next weeks showdown with Green Bay is huge because a Carolina victory would give them a 2 game lead in the entire NFC!
    Yep, Luck almost caught up with the Panthers last night (pun intended). That conservative approach is maddening to watch. At least act like you trust the offense at the ends of games.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

COINGATE!!!! New Patriots cheating scandal explodes mid-season!

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/11/0...possible-rate/

Clearly Bill Belicheck has supernatural powers of evil...

Ross Cockrell just made an interception to steel a TD pass from the Raiders. Let's go, Steelers!

The Lion was up but lost 21-10 to the Bye.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Do these close losses prove the existence of football gods, who are trying to create an NFL season that doesn't contain Greg Hardy winning a game?

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/11/0...possible-rate/

Clearly Bill Belicheck has supernatural powers of evil...
    Yeah, we need to call the Patriots out for a few more trivial things and make a big deal about them...because we want them playing with more of a chip on their shoulder. I love that Brady is tearing the NFL up this year after that ridiculous witch hunt. As a Redskins fan I'm kinda happy the game against the Patriots was as close as it was. I know all the media reports on the Redskins is RGIII but we have a ton of starters out with injuries (including both starting CB's). As weak as the NFC East is, the Redskins could actually have a chance to make the playoffs if they could get healthy (and yes, I'm aware that they'd probably lose that playoff game...I'm a realist).

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Do these close losses prove the existence of football gods, who are trying to create an NFL season that doesn't contain Greg Hardy winning a game?
    My goodness what a beautiful thing it is to see Dallas lose 6 straight games. Having Jerry Jones team leader, Greg Hardy lose every single game in which he's played is just so cool. I wonder how much Hardy payed that battered woman to stop participating in his trial.

On another front, the Panthers might actually be for real! The Colts may have saved their season with a win vs Denver. Antonio Brown puts up insane numbers anytime Big Ben is in the game. Marcus Mariota is a better NFL QB than predicted (and I think that's pretty cool because he seems like a good kid). There are a lot of mediocre teams. The Cowboys have lost 6 straight games (I know I mentioned this above but it's just so fun say...they are the UNC of the NFL).

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    As a Redskins fan I'm kinda happy the game against the Patriots was as close as it was. I know all the media reports on the Redskins is RGIII but we have a ton of starters out with injuries (including both starting CB's). As weak as the NFC East is, the Redskins could actually have a chance to make the playoffs if they could get healthy (and yes, I'm aware that they'd probably lose that playoff game...I'm a realist.
    I'm actually very happy with Kirk Cousins' progress. He played a heck of a game yesterday. Sure he had a pick, but can you really lay it at his feet when it goes through his receiver's hands and hits off his face? Seven drops is ridiculous after averaging one per game. And most of those were good throws that were very catchable, not way off throws that receivers were lucky to get a hand on. The Skins' receivers catch even 5 of those, particularly the Garcon and Carrier ones, and Kirk's got 300+ yards and probably a second TD. The team doesn't win the game, but they make the Pats work harder for it. Between that and the onside kick that Grant flubbed, the team really let Kirk down. I'm a Cousins guy, but I got to say, I didn't think he'd be this good in my wildest dreams with no running game, no Jackson, a depleted offensive line, and 40+ throws a game. Don't kid yourself. The offensive line is a travesty. The only reason they look good is Cousins' pocket feel and quickness getting rid of the ball. At the beginning of the year, I didn't think we'd win a single game with less than 100 yards rushing and more than 40 passes by #8.

The funny thing is that the team keeps ending up exactly where I thought they'd be, but by getting there a completely different way. I thought they'd have about this record, but not getting there by coming back on Philly, smashing the Rams, and having NO running game. I thought we'd win a close one over the Bucs, but not by making the biggest comeback in team history. I thought we'd lose at Atlanta, but certainly not by a pick six. In overtime! I thought we'd lose to the Pats, but I thought we'd keep it close in the first half and talent would win out in the end. I didn't expect the 14-0 start with first quarter onside kicks and Pats' turnovers, followed by 13-10 to close it out. Or seven drops. This team confuses the heck out of me. I will say I'm very impressed with Kirk's ability to run the two minute offense and score at the end of the game. He's very solid at that. The Pats were not playing some end of game big lead defense. They were ANGRY at giving up that touchdown. I could see it in the players' faces, as well as the DC's.
    Last edited by bjornolf; 11-09-2015 at 04:42 PM.

Patriots RB Dion Lewis is out for the remainder of the season with a torn ACL. I hate the Patriots with a passion but am saddened by the news of an injury like this.

His running stats weren't off the charts or anything but he was 3rd in receptions on the team and was an integral part of the offense. The question now is can they replace his production? Does this slow them down? Or do Brady and Belichek continue to find guys that come out of nowhere to produce?

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I'm actually very happy with Kirk Cousins' progress. He played a heck of a game yesterday. Sure he had a pick, but can you really lay it at his feet when it goes through his receiver's hands and hits off his face? Seven drops is ridiculous after averaging one per game. And most of those were good throws that were very catchable, not way off throws that receivers were lucky to get a hand on. The Skins' receivers catch even 5 of those, particularly the Garcon and Carrier ones, and Kirk's got 300+ yards and probably a second TD. The team doesn't win the game, but they make the Pats work harder for it. Between that and the onside kick that Grant flubbed, the team really let Kirk down. I'm a Cousins guy, but I got to say, I didn't think he'd be this good in my wildest dreams with no running game, no Jackson, a depleted offensive line, and 40+ throws a game. Don't kid yourself. The offensive line is a travesty. The only reason they look good is Cousins' pocket feel and quickness getting rid of the ball. At the beginning of the year, I didn't think we'd win a single game with less than 100 yards rushing and more than 40 passes by #8.

The funny thing is that the team keeps ending up exactly where I thought they'd be, but by getting there a completely different way. I thought they'd have about this record, but not getting there by coming back on Philly, smashing the Rams, and having NO running game. I thought we'd win a close one over the Bucs, but not by making the biggest comeback in team history. I thought we'd lose at Atlanta, but certainly not by a pick six. In overtime! I thought we'd lose to the Pats, but I thought we'd keep it close in the first half and talent would win out in the end. I didn't expect the 14-0 start with first quarter onside kicks and Pats' turnovers, followed by 13-10 to close it out. Or seven drops. This team confuses the heck out of me. I will say I'm very impressed with Kirk's ability to run the two minute offense and score at the end of the game. He's very solid at that. The Pats were not playing some end of game big lead defense. They were ANGRY at giving up that touchdown. I could see it in the players' faces, as well as the DC's.
    Thanks for the post. I didn't get to see the game and coverage of it was pitiful. I agree about the offensive line and I too am shocked how the running game has disappeared. If you'd have told me that Albert Morris wasn't going to rush for any yards after week 1 (or was it 2) I would have told you that we were going to get blown out of a bunch of games.

4th and goal from the 1, 3:00 left in the game and you are down 4 points... what do you do?

I go for it all day. If I get stopped, they have their backs against the wall and I am still likely to get the ball back with great field position.

The Falcons kicked a FG to be down 1 and then San Fran got two 1st downs after the kickoff and ran out the clock. I hate, hate, hate that move.

-Jason "when was the last time fans got really mad at a coach for going for it? Playing it safe, that is what fans typically hate... " Evans

P.S. - It is worth noting that San Fran had been awesome against the run all day, so you are probably not running it from the 1
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Wondering if Weezie and BlazinDW have any fingernails after the last 5 minutes or so of the Lions Packers game. Congratulations, Lions, on ypu first win in Green Bay since 1991.

Ok, wow. The Lions almost just suffered one of the worst losses in NFL history. This would have been up there with Michigan's botched kick and Duke's tackle-that-never-was against Miami.

So, the Lions, who had already missed 1 extra point earlier in the game, scored what appeared to be the game-clinching TD against the Packers at Labeau with just under 4 minutes left. The TD put them up 8 needing only an extra point to pretty much lock this baby down. They missed the extra point, but they still led by 8.

The Packers, of course, marched downfield to score a TD with 1:25 left. They went for 2 and all the Lion faithful are thinking, "oh no! This might go to OT!" But, the Lions rookie CB knocked the ball out of Devonte Adams's hands and the win was assured! Or so they thought.

The Packers attempt an onside kick, which goes through Calvin Johnson's hands (one of the greatest WRs of all time is supposed to have good hands, right?) and suddenly the Packers have the ball at mid field down 2 with 1 minute left. They drove to the 35 leaving Mason Crosby with a 52 yard kick to win the game... but he missed. If he makes that, it is just a brutal, brutal way to lose. 2 missed extra points and an onside kick that goes through the hands of the greatest WR in your team's history?!?! Yikes!

-Jason "I am sure Donald Wine is breathing a big sigh of relief right now" Evans

Props to Jamison Crowder -- four catches today for 60 yards and his first NFL touchdown catch.

He now has 38 catches on the season for 342 yards and the one TD.

Not all-star quality -- yet, but very, very solid for a rookie slot receiver.