Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Wallace Wade: I was there then...

I was there when Mike McGee's only option was to give it to Steve Jones..
    ...when the USSR came to town..
    .when Tony Dorsett ran for over 200 yards
    .when there were wooden bleachers above the bowl
    .when they all boo'd when our boys came home from Vietnam
    .when the old ball coach made his OC debut
    .when Carl Franks could run fast and catch
    .when Shirley Wilson became Red
    .when Connor Barth kicked us in the gut..with .02 left
    .when they clapped and cheered for man called Bear..
    .when streaking was cool
    .when Ted's twins were too young to know
    .when i was the last person in the stands the day they fired Franks
    .when the pelican bowl was played
    .when the world record was set in the high jump
    .when they smoked grass instead of pot
    .when Jamison made the catch
    .when we all cried on Sept. 22 2001 our first game since 9/11
    .when Cut said 'We are Duke..'

and I'll be there today..what a long strange trip its been..

Wallace Wade I love the place.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimedevil View Post
    I was there when Mike McGee's only option was to give it to Steve Jones..
    ...when the USSR came to town..
    .when Tony Dorsett ran for over 200 yards
    .when there were wooden bleachers above the bowl
    .when they all boo'd when our boys came home from Vietnam
    .when the old ball coach made his OC debut
    .when Carl Franks could run fast and catch
    .when Shirley Wilson became Red
    .when Connor Barth kicked us in the gut..with .02 left
    .when they clapped and cheered for man called Bear..
    .when streaking was cool
    .when Ted's twins were too young to know
    .when i was the last person in the stands the day they fired Franks
    .when the pelican bowl was played
    .when the world record was set in the high jump
    .when they smoked grass instead of pot
    .when Jamison made the catch
    .when we all cried on Sept. 22 2001 our first game since 9/11
    .when Cut said 'We are Duke..'

and I'll be there today..what a long strange trip its been..

Wallace Wade I love the place.
    Post of the day.

we will be there today...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    we will be there today...
    Wallace Wade is sold out tonight. There are no seats on Brooks Field.

I was there when the Stones played, "Sympathy For The Devil," but I expect all visiting teams to begging for our sympathy now.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

I will be introducing my son to WW tonight. My last trip to a game got him so excited that my wife went into labor a few weeks early. So now, almost a year old, he will get to finally make his return!

More for the list

It goes back further. . .

I remember the 2-3 football game loss against Clemson.

I remember when all games were on Saturday afternoons. Guys dressed up, and gals did the same. A football game was a big social event.

The first game with (portable) lights was on a Thursday night. Walking around the stadium area in the dark felt weird. . .

(Heck, I remember "carolina" and "Joe College" weekends and the way the campus living groups went crazy on Homecoming weekend.)

The Blue Devil wore a cape, carried a pitchfork at all times, and could be seen all over the place including on the goalposts.

The scoreboard was fairly primitive, to include a clock with moving hands.

Oh yes: One of the associated experiences of attending any game in the stadium was pulling numerous splinters out of your backside.

Serious side note: I was there for the USA/USSR track meet. While many folks maligned the presence of the (now gone) track et al, it was quite an experience to attend those track events. Two or three days worth, I believe??

k

Great OP, great thread!

My favorite WW moment was my freshman year, Spurrier's last, when we beat Clemson and charged the field. Being a clutz, I tripped and separated my shoulder in the charge, but the juice was worth the squeeze.

PS: Streaking isn't cool anymore? There goes my Saturday night...

Would it be churlish of me to point out that Dorsett only rushed for 129 yards in his only game at Wade?

It was Matt Cavanaugh that Duke couldn't handle. He threw five TDs.

Now, Ron Johnson in 1968? That was a performance.

But mostly I remember the splinters. Oh, the splinters.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Would it be churlish of me to point out that Dorsett only rushed for 129 yards in his only game at Wade?

It was Matt Cavanaugh that Duke couldn't handle. He threw five TDs.

Now, Ron Johnson in 1968? That was a performance.

But mostly I remember the splinters. Oh, the splinters.
    OK, I'm trying to recall this without actually looking anything up...but I think back to the 1968 Ron Johnson game, and in many ways it seems like it might have had at least
    one signal warning of our decades wandering in the wilderness.

IIRC (and that's a huge if) Duke received the opening kickoff. It went to Bobby Hepler who was very small (but slow). He bobbled the ball, picked it up, bobbled it again, fumbled it into the
    end zone where Michigan recovered. Seven zip all of about five seconds into the game.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    OK, I'm trying to recall this without actually looking anything up...but I think back to the 1968 Ron Johnson game, and in many ways it seems like it might have had at least

IIRC (and that's a huge if) Duke received the opening kickoff. It went to Bobby Hepler who was very small (but slow). He bobbled the ball, picked it up, bobbled it again, fumbled it into the
    end zone where Michigan recovered. Seven zip all of about five seconds into the game.
    Some context. That 1968 Michigan game was the first home game for both budwom and I. Michigan won 31-10 and Johnson running over, around and through an overmatched Duke defense is etched in my memory. I do not recall that opening sequence but it sounds so bad I may well have blocked it out.

painful memories

Some context. That 1968 Michigan game was the first home game for both budwom and I. Michigan won 31-10 and Johnson running over, around and through an overmatched Duke defense is etched in my memory. I do not recall that opening sequence but it sounds so bad I may well have blocked it out.
    That sounds around the same time period with Coach Tom Harp and tongue-in-cheek suggestion team be renamed Blue Tunas ? ? ?

k

Quote Originally Posted by Kimist View Post
    That sounds around the same time period with Coach Tom Harp and tongue-in-cheek suggestion team be renamed Blue Tunas ? ? ?

k
    Absolutely correct.

Then again, I was in the stands for the shoestring play in 1969. That made up for a lot of less-than-stellar outings.

The best: shoestring play in 69 to beat the heels
    One of the worst: 13 secs to go, ahead of the Twerps by 5, they are on their own 13 yd line with no timeouts left. Twerps win on two consecutive 40-45 yard pass plays.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    The best: shoestring play in 69 to beat the heels
    One of the worst: 13 secs to go, ahead of the Twerps by 5, they are on their own 13 yd line with no timeouts left. Twerps win on two consecutive 40-45 yard pass plays.
    I remember that Maryland game well. Almost as bad was a game against NC State. Down by 10 in the final minute or so, State kicked a field goal on 4th down, recovered the on-side kick, scored on the last play of the game and converted the two-point conversion for the win.

Duke has pulled out some memorable wins. One of my favorites was Ben Bennett's final home game, 1983, played on Thursday night under temporary lights, for TBS or TNT. Duke trailed 26-7 in the fourth quarter but Bennett threw three touchdown passes, the last one to Mark Militello on fourth and goal. 27-26 final.

Bennett was a gunslinger, a cocky Billy-the-Kid type who could cash any check his mouth wrote.

Good times.

Bennett games

Bennett was a gunslinger, a cocky Billy-the-Kid type who could cash any check his mouth wrote.

Didn't Mr. Bennett and friends engineer the upset win over Univ of TN in Neyland Stadium about that time??

k

My first game in WW

Charlie Ward's Heisman-winning-season-debut. Seems like it was ... only yesterday.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post

Unless we lost two fumbles for game-opening opponent TDs, I think South Carolina was the team that did that. My memory isn't perfect, though.

I remember that Maryland game well. Almost as bad was a game against NC State. Down by 10 in the final minute or so, State kicked a field goal on 4th down, recovered the on-side kick, scored on the last play of the game and converted the two-point conversion for the win.

Duke has pulled out some memorable wins. One of my favorites was Ben Bennett's final home game, 1983, played on Thursday night under temporary lights, for TBS or TNT. Duke trailed 26-7 in the fourth quarter but Bennett threw three touchdown passes, the last one to Mark Militello on fourth and goal. 27-26 final.

Good times.
    I was at Duke for all of Ben's four seasons. Apparently, he could be a cocky jerk on the field and off, but he had to be one of the best pure passers in Duke football history. I don't remember him having a rifle arm but he was very accurate and threw a beautiful spiral. Wasn't he the all-time NCAA passing leader (in terms of pass yards completed) for a few years until (maybe) Doug Flutie passed him by?

I remember Duke Stadium before it was Wallace Wade Stadium ... and I remember Bill Murray.