Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Obi gets a ring?

Did something change? I remember there being a lot of talk about Seth not getting a ring b/c he wasn't on the active roster but low and behold, there's Obi showing off his ring with the rest of the guys. This is GREAT - but does it mean that Seth can get that ring now too?

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Did something change? I remember there being a lot of talk about Seth not getting a ring b/c he wasn't on the active roster but low and behold, there's Obi showing off his ring with the rest of the guys. This is GREAT - but does it mean that Seth can get that ring now too?
    I saw that as well. I hope the Ncaa can be adults about this sort of thing. I'd love to hear the backstory on this and how it changed.

I think he just has to pay for it himself.

I mentioned this last night in the 1 for the thumb thread. Furniture indicated that Curry eventually got a ring because his parents paid for it. Maybe the NCAA has changed its rules or maybe Obi paid for it himself. Regardless,it's a good look.

Bling for a guy who is already the sartorial leader of the team.

Look out, ladies. Obi's coming to town . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. Seems like it was a stupid rule so maybe they got rid of it. On another note who else gets rings? The AD? Trainers? Team managers? Just curious who all ends up with a ring.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    I mentioned this last night in the 1 for the thumb thread. Furniture indicated that Curry eventually got a ring because his parents paid for it. Maybe the NCAA has changed its rules or maybe Obi paid for it himself. Regardless,it's a good look.
    It was me. I remember the DBR story from five years ago (although I can't remember anything else). But, isn't this the kind of thing where a school merely notifies the NCAA what it is doing? It is allowing certain folks to go to the ring mfr. and execute a private transaction.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Bling for a guy who is already the sartorial leader of the team.

Look out, ladies. Obi's coming to town . . . .
    Perhaps Obi will have an influence on team unis and the like, such as warm-ups in the style of tuxedo jackets.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I'm posting from my phone so don't have a link or quote, but I did look it up last night and the rule has not changed. To receive an award for a championship, a player must be eligible to participate in said championship. The rule book is not clear, however, on whether he could purchase one from the school, or if he would technically have to call up Jostens and buy one directly.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    I'm posting from my phone so don't have a link or quote, but I did look it up last night and the rule has not changed. To receive an award for a championship, a player must be eligible to participate in said championship. The rule book is not clear, however, on whether he could purchase one from the school, or if he would technically have to call up Jostens and buy one directly.
    And if someone connected with the program (coaches, other players, managers, athletic/ID officials, DBR posters, etc) buy him a ring, it'd likely be an NCAA violation. Unless, of course, Larry the Hat did it...

Hmmm...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    It was me. I remember the DBR story from five years ago (although I can't remember anything else). But, isn't this the kind of thing where a school merely notifies the NCAA what it is doing? It is allowing certain folks to go to the ring mfr. and execute a private transaction.
    To avoid a special benefit to the athlete they probably then have to allow any member of the general public to do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by swood1000 View Post
    To avoid a special benefit to the athlete they probably then have to allow any member of the general public to do the same thing.
    Ahhh, the unc defense.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Adam Silver overruled the NCAA and said it's ok for Obi to get a ring.
    Then Tim Cook said he'd take away the NCAA's iPads if they didn't agree.

That's how we roll.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    The rule book is not clear, however, on whether he could purchase one from the school, or if he would technically have to call up Jostens and buy one directly.
    Anyone have the number for Jostens? I'm gettin' my ring!

Duke would not allow that. I am sure that some AD staff get rings courtesy of the school; others may be allowed to buy. The outcome of "ineligible transfers" buying rings then would require consultation with the NCAA.
    Sage Grouse

I believe the impermissible benefits test applies with respect to other Duke students, not the general public. Regardless, the Jostens championship ring catalog is located here:

http://www.jostens.com/sports/champi...s-jewelry.html

... "Those are not the rings you are looking for"...

I would guess that a "championship ring" is NOT an official award. The NCAA does (or did, I've seen one that a Duke soccer team member had back in the day, abandoned in a dorm room over the summer) hand out paper certificates as official awards to each player who would have been eligible to get in the championship game. Is there another NCAA reg that stipulates that the school may give some reasonable token to all relevant personnel after a championship? I'm sure Coach K got a ring for 2015 and I'm pretty sure he already used up his eligibility. Perhaps the players actually purchase the rings, and they are technically available to all and sundry, if they could just find that link, to avoid impermissible benefits etc.?

This has to be the most pointless discussion of the year.

I found this article citing the NCAA rule on rings and other championship awards:

http://onepointsafety.com/2012/08/17/the-ring-rule/

Note, it includes no mention of allowing ineligible student-athletes (such as Obi last year) to buy a ring.

I will say that this rule does not apply to Krzyzewski, his assistants or other staff members -- they are not student-athletes and are not limited by NCAA benefit limits.

It also seems to me, reading the rule, that UNC football is in serious violation for giving rings to their players in a year when they definitely did NOT win a championship of any kind/ If the NCAA is going to allow the UNC football team to give out 80-plus illegal rings, then I doubt that Obi's ring comes into question.