Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 355
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed

    Other People's Football (2015 edition)

    Figured I might as well start a general thread in lieu of "upset watch" or other ones. General, non-Duke college football. Because we are a football school after all.

    Steve Spurrier's Gamecocks have tied the game with the forces of cheating and darkness, 7-7 early in the second half. Go South Carolina!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Figured I might as well start a general thread in lieu of "upset watch" or other ones. General, non-Duke college football. Because we are a football school after all.

    Steve Spurrier's Gamecocks have tied the game with the forces of cheating and darkness, 7-7 early in the second half. Go South Carolina!
    Damn. The Old Ball Coach won't get his shutout tonight.

    Well, maybe at the end of the game he can still party like it's 1989.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Correct side of the Durham/CH border
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Damn. The Old Ball Coach won't get his shutout tonight.

    Well, maybe at the end of the game he can still party like it's 1989.
    This is not good football.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Figured I might as well start a general thread in lieu of "upset watch" or other ones. General, non-Duke college football. Because we are a football school after all.

    Steve Spurrier's Gamecocks have tied the game with the forces of cheating and darkness, 7-7 early in the second half. Go South Carolina!
    Wait, does this mean there will be not football version of "I'm not gonna jinx it"? My spirits have been crushed!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    That third/fourth down stand by UNC hurt. Could have kicked the FG but Steve going for the throat.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Correct side of the Durham/CH border
    Hehe...
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Hehe...
    Steve now 6-0 v. The heels.

    Go to HELL Carolina!!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    For those interested, future opponent Army is on CBSSN (same we were on) against Fordham right now. 14-14 in first quarter.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    For those interested, future opponent Army is on CBSSN (same we were on) against Fordham right now. 14-14 in first quarter.
    Final: Fordham 37, Army 35

    To be fair, Fordham is a good FCS school (11-3 last season). And Army was breaking in a first-time QB (a good athlete who was recruited as a DB by several ACC schools). Still, it was at West Point and Army looked terrible on defense -- small and slow. After watching Duke beat Tulane so badly last night, I was wondering whether Tulane was the second-worst or third-worst team we will play ... after watching most of Army-Fordham, I'd say that Tulane is better than Army (and, obviously, NCCU).

    It's a funny thing about openers. Because Duke was so dominant, a lot have dismissed Tulane as a terrible team -- even though they were expected to be a lot better than last year's very young 3-9 team. I guess we'll see.

    But at the same time, did anybody see how No. 4 Baylor struggled against an SMU team that was 1-11 last year? Baylor was lucky to get out of the first half with a lead. They were up 28-21 in the final minute, but SMU had a first and goal at the two in the final minute of the half ... and turned it over. Baylor pulled away to win 56-21, but they were far less impressive against 1-11 SMU than Duke was against 3-9 Tulane. Does that mean anything?

    Not a great opening weekend for the Big 12. Not only did Baylor struggle for a half against a bad SMU team, but No. 2 TCU had to fight for its life Thursday night against a mediocre (at least that's the expectation) Minnesota team -- a 23-17 win, but Minnesota had the ball at the end, down less than a TD.

    Not a terribly impressive opener for No. 5 Michigan State either. They beat Western Michigan 37-24 -- but only after they intercepted a pass in the end zone with two minutes left (WMU had the ball first and goal at the seven at the time).

    BTW, Syracuse pounded a bad FCS opponent -- Rhode Island (1-11 last season) -- to make the ACC 4-1 on the weekend. I forget which ACC team gagged its opener ...

    Eight more ACC games tomorrow.

    PS Army has a wide receiver named Edgar Allen Poe ... how cool is that? Of course, the famous writer of that name also attended the USMA at West Point.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

    PS Army has a wide receiver named Edgar Allen Poe ... how cool is that? Of course, the famous writer of that name also attended the USMA at West Point.
    Baltimore needs to draft him.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Baltimore needs to draft him.
    Alas, Nevermore.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of Travis County
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    It's a funny thing about openers. Because Duke was so dominant, a lot have dismissed Tulane as a terrible team -- even though they were expected to be a lot better than last year's very young 3-9 team. I guess we'll see.

    But at the same time, did anybody see how No. 4 Baylor struggled against an SMU team that was 1-11 last year? Baylor was lucky to get out of the first half with a lead. They were up 28-21 in the final minute, but SMU had a first and goal at the two in the final minute of the half ... and turned it over. Baylor pulled away to win 56-21, but they were far less impressive against 1-11 SMU than Duke was against 3-9 Tulane. Does that mean anything?
    I grew up with SMU and they remain my second team. Everything you say is true, but two things you don't mention make the uncertainty about how to interpret this game even more interesting. The first is how ready Baylor really was for this game, with the rape turmoil swirling and arguably their two best defensive starters suspended within 24 hours before kickoff. The second is that 1-11 SMU was led into the season and "coached" for the first two games by June Jones, who had completely given up on the school and the team well, well before he resigned. Former Clemson OC Chad Morris had a good first recruiting class and a lot of the positive SMU plays in the first half last night were by true freshmen.

    Anyway, just agreeing with you that it will be interesting to see what Duke-Tulane means (I definitely share the view that it will mean Duke is better than expected, not that Tulane is worse) and what Baylor-SMU means...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO

    Northwestern?

    The Wildcats are beating Stanford 16-6 late in the 4th quarter at Evanston. Really an impressive performance -- the Northwestern offense has been pushing Stanford all over the field.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The Wildcats are beating Stanford 16-6 late in the 4th quarter at Evanston. Really an impressive performance -- the Northwestern offense has been pushing Stanford all over the field.
    I watched most of this game -- great performance by the Northwestern defense -- they held Stanford to under 200 yards total offense up until the final minutes. They had some help -- Stanford's senior QB Kevin Hogan, a three-year starter and a projected first-round draft pick, was TERRIBLE. He was off-target and late all day. On the last gasp for Stanford, he has an open receiver in the end zone, but throws a wounded duck that allows the NW defender to get there and pick it.

    Still, very good job by the NW defense, which won the line of scrimmage, stopped the Stanford running game and applied decent pressure. The NW offense was okay, not great. They were able to run a bit and their young QB (a prep All-American starting his first game) made some nice throws. The announcers kept talking about his running skills, but I never saw it. They do have a sophomore RB who rushed for 1,000 yards last season as a true freshman. He's good.

    It's going to be a great game in Wade in two weeks .. I notice the ESPN announcers are already counting it as a Northwestern win.

    I was checking in on some ACC games also. Two HUGE injuries in the early games. Pitt's James Connors, the best running back in the ACC, left the Youngstown State game with a knee injury. And Clemson's Mike Williams -- a first-team All-ACC preseason pick -- was carted off the field with a neck injury in the game against Wofford. No cluse how serious either injury is, but they don't look good.

    Clemson, BTW, was absolutely dominant against a mid-level FCS opponent (Wofford was 6-5 last year). It was 35-0 before Wofford got their first first down with two minutes left in the half. It would have been worse, except Clemson kept playing their backup QB and their punt returner fumbled a punt away late in the first half. The other ACC teams are doing well against outmatched opponents, except BC which is fighting for its life at home against Maine.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    -- the Northwestern offense has been pushing Stanford all over the field.
    Redshirt freshman quarterback Clayton Thorson played like a poised veteran behind an offensive line which dominated the line of scrimmage. Justin Jackson rushed for 134 yards on 28 carries. The NW victory isn't completely surprising; the Wildcats were 5-7 in 2014 but two of their wins were over Top 25 Wisconsin and Notre Dame. They are a dangerous team.

    September 19 will be an early season litmus test, I am looking forward to the challenge.
    Bob Green
    DBR Survivor Football Champion
    2010 & 2016

  16. #16
    I feel like Northwestern starts off strong every year and then regresses rapidly. Too bad we're playing them early.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Redshirt freshman quarterback Clayton Thorson played like a poised veteran behind an offensive line which dominated the line of scrimmage. Justin Jackson rushed for 134 yards on 28 carries. The NW victory isn't completely surprising; the Wildcats were 5-7 in 2014 but two of their wins were over Top 25 Wisconsin and Notre Dame. They are a dangerous team.

    September 19 will be an early season litmus test, I am looking forward to the challenge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mabdul Doobakus View Post
    I feel like Northwestern starts off strong every year and then regresses rapidly. Too bad we're playing them early.
    Another factor? A 9 AM start on PDT. I watched about half the game, but Stanford appeared to be sleepwalking. I gave credit to Northwestern's offense 'cuz they were able to keep drives going in the second half (when the Stanford alarm clock should have gone off). The Northwestern offense allowed its defense to get some rest, and the Cats' defense played superbly.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem
    If you haven't seen BYU's Hail Moroni to beat Nebraska, it's must-see.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    If you haven't seen BYU's Hail Moroni to beat Nebraska, it's must-see.
    I'll be recovering from this stomach punch loss for a couple weeks. Brutal way for the Huskers to lose after controlling most of the 2nd half. Offense sputtered last couple of drives and that call of a jet sweep on 3rd and 3 before the missed FG was befuddling. Nebraska usually has a great kicking game but Brown (who is the brother of Kris Brown who kicked for the Huskers from 95-99) has been really weak the last two seasons. All that said, terrible defense on the Hail Mormon.

  20. #20
    Not a great showing for the ACC in our Power 5 matchups. Louisville, UVA, (and UNC) losing, and I'm not optimistic about VTech tomorrow. Hey maybe Northwestern will become ranked right before they come, and we can beat them.

Similar Threads

  1. Other Duke Sports on TV 2015-2016 Edition
    By awhom111 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: 06-11-2016, 12:35 AM
  2. Dukies Hooping Overseas 2014-2015 Edition
    By awhom111 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 162
    Last Post: 08-29-2015, 06:07 PM
  3. Other Duke Sports on TV, 2014-2015 Edition
    By awhom111 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 06-13-2015, 08:20 PM
  4. Women's Basketball on TV 2014-2015 Edition
    By awhom111 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 04-15-2015, 10:04 PM
  5. The Walton Rankings - 2015 edition
    By uh_no in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-08-2015, 01:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •