Thread: Andra Day

Andra Day

So, I am not someone who follows the music industry all that closely, but there is an insane amount of buzz for a new artist and everyone says she is going to be a huge, huge star. I just wanted to throw it out here, now, so folks could look back in 6 months and say, "Wow, Jason was a genius to know this!"

Her name is Andra Day and her debut album will be released tomorrow. What is remarkable is that, without even having an album out yet, she was on Good Morning America this morning to perform her first single, Rise Up." I mean, how often do total unknows get a 5 minutes segment on GMA to perform their song?!?!

Additionally, you are about to hear Andra Day's "Rise Up" non-stop because it is going to be the featured song in one of the biggest ad campaigns Apple has ever launched pegged to Serena Williams attempting to win the Grand Slam starting next week at the US Open. You basically will not be able to watch the US Open without hearing Apple/Beats play "Rise Up" in their commercials. Andra also just launched a nationwide tour, appearing with Lenny Kravitz in dozens of cities over the next few months.

I know all this because Andra happens to be the very first artist my brother signed to his record label. About 2 years ago, my brother (who was a successful businessman) decided he wanted to be in the music industry. He chucked his old job as the CEO of a start-up and looked for a good artist. He found her, he convinced Warner Bros. Music to commit a silly sum of money to producing and promoting her album, and now he is her manager/record label. He has a few other artists in his label too, but Andra is the first to release an album and it is going to be huge. I don't know how my bro did this but he has somehow become a music industry star-maker. Truly stunning.

-Jason "I'm telling you, you are going to start to hear 'Rise Up' everywhere! They are saying Andra is the next Adele" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Amy Winehouse meets Billie Holliday?

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Amy Winehouse meets Billie Holliday?
    Maybe. We would need a séance to confirm it.

At last check, Andra's debut album (which comes out tomorrow) was #12 on the Amazon sales chart and was the #1 "Mover and Shaker" of the day on Amazon.

Andra Day.jpg

Her single, "Rise Up" is currently #50 on the iTunes sales charts even though Warner has not yet done any promotion of it. They are going to start promoting the single next week, which is when you should start hearing it on radio.

-Jason "that my brother is the person responsible for all this is truly insane" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Best of luck to your brother, Jason! A very bold move, indeed.

Andra does not appear to be a kid. How old is she and what has she done up until now? Where did you brother discover her?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Additionally, you are about to hear Andra Day's "Rise Up" non-stop because it is going to be the featured song in one of the biggest ad campaigns Apple has ever launched pegged to Serena Williams attempting to win the Grand Slam starting next week at the US Open. You basically will not be able to watch the US Open without hearing Apple/Beats play "Rise Up" in their commercials.
    Cue in to the 1:00 mark. This is gonna run constantly during the Open. Serena personally picked the song.

-Jason "my bro... he's a stud" Evans

So, I am not someone who follows the music industry all that closely, but there is an insane amount of buzz for a new artist and everyone says she is going to be a huge, huge star. I just wanted to throw it out here, now, so folks could look back in 6 months and say, "Wow, Jason was a genius to know this!"
    Try 3-4 months. Andra Day is everywhere.

I saw her perform when I watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I saw she received two Grammy nominations. And, because I usually watch TV on DVR delay and skip the ads, I didn't see her Apple holiday commercial with Stevie Wonder until yesterday.

I know all this because Andra happens to be the very first artist my brother signed to his record label.
    I don't know your family's customs, but your brother won this year's holiday newsletter.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I didn't see her Apple holiday commercial with Stevie Wonder until yesterday.
    Stevie still hasn't seen it!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Stevie still hasn't seen it!
    Perhaps.

Or perhaps not.