Thread: Jimmy Carter

Jimmy Carter

Saw a news report just now that President Carter, who has already been diagnosed with melanoma, said in a news conference that it has spread to his brain and he is beginning radiation therapy.

Carter was in my Dad's class at the Naval Academy. My father was not close to him but, of course, knew him, and has always had kind things to say about him.

Melanoma is a scary cancer (as a red-headed, blue eyed, pail skinned fellow, I am a walking risk factor, and it scares me). My prayers will be with the former President today. He's showing great strength of character in his fight, and in sharing his story.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Saw a news report just now that President Carter, who has already been diagnosed with melanoma, said in a news conference that it has spread to his brain and he is beginning radiation therapy.

Carter was in my Dad's class at the Naval Academy. My father was not close to him but, of course, knew him, and has always had kind things to say about him.

Melanoma is a scary cancer (as a red-headed, blue eyed, pail skinned fellow, I am a walking risk factor, and it scares me). My prayers will be with the former President today. He's showing great strength of character in his fight, and in sharing his story.
    He has shown great strength of character throughout his life. Whatever anyone thought of his presidency, he is surely one of our very best ex-presidents.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    He has shown great strength of character throughout his life. Whatever anyone thought of his presidency, he is surely one of our very best ex-presidents.
    Absolutely agree. He has spent the better part of his life, particularly since leaving the White House, in the service of others and trying to promote peace in the world.

Prayers for recovery and for his family.

I had the honor of meeting him way back in 1988 when I was volunteering in nearby Americus. Poor fellow looked 80 then. Learning that he's "only" 90 now surprised me. I found him gracious and thoughtful, and he certainly has worked hard in his post-presidency (harder than most) to make a positive contribution to the world before he exits the stage.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Absolutely agree. He has spent the better part of his life, particularly since leaving the White House, in the service of others and trying to promote peace in the world.

Prayers for recovery and for his family.
    Yup. Heard a story on NPR a few minutes ago, and someone mentioned they had asked Carter if he could do it all over again, would he rather have had a second term, or his work with the Carter Center. The reply was he would not have changed anything.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I've always put Jimmy Carter in the category of "a better man than a president"

Let's face it, some of our best president's were ... let's say, morally deficient. The best example would be FDR, a persistent liar, an adulterer ... and the greatest American President since at least Lincoln.

Carter was a great man, but a mediocre president. The closest match in my mind was Herbert Hoover. Just track his remarkable relief work during WWI. Another great man, whose reputation was tarnished by a difficult and ineffective presidency.

Agree with Olympic Fan. My grandfather knew him, and introduced me to him when I was a young kid (back in the 80s) at a diner in Americus. I had no idea who he was, but remember how much everyone in South Georgia seemed to love him.

Any former president deserves the respect for his commitment to our country, regardless of his side of the aisle. his commitment to public service and peace is admirable. However, his beliefs and positions are incredibly alienating to some. His positions were so alienating that his own grandson tried to distance himself from the from the former president's stances and positions during a run for governor.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    Any former president deserves the respect for his commitment to our country, regardless of his side of the aisle. his commitment to public service and peace is admirable. However, his beliefs and positions are incredibly alienating to some. His positions were so alienating that his own grandson tried to distance himself from the from the former president's stances and positions during a run for governor.
    You could say the same thing about many men in power, eg Ronald Reagan and Ron Reagan... just heard on NPR today that the founder/leader of France's National Front party was kicked out by his own daughter. Now that's harsh!