Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Robot

Hello, friend.

I love this show. It's like an orgy of OMG moments*, so much so that I'm afraid that's distracting me from some of the weaknesses there (and there are some), and the whole house of cards could crumble quickly. But in the meantime, what an adrenaline rush. The show's like a meth habit. And headed by a pretty spectacular lead actor performance. Rami Malek is mesmerizing.

* SPOILERS BELOW FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T WATCHED SEASON 1 YET:

I mean, the final scenes of the last 5 consecutive episodes were all jaw-droppers. You had the prison breakout and Shayla in the trunk (agree with Mtn.Devil - that was as intense as the best Wire and Sopranos scenes; the sirens and alarms and the throbbing electronic music had me practically shaking); Elliot dropping the truth bomb on Krista; the big reveal, which has the additional layer of twist re: Darlene for everyone who had already made up their minds about Mr. Robot himself; "I wanted to save the world" at the arcade with Tyrell and the solo piano Pixies and the callback to Fight Club (probably my favorite single scene on TV in 2015); and then the White Rose quasi-reveal.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    First season is on Amazon Prime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    It's on Amazon Prime for free.
    Thank you for the info! I'm pretty sure where we're staying will have Amazon (and I have a Prime account), since they do have Netflix for sure. At worst, my roommate and I can watch it on the iPad. Thanks again for the info. It gets tedious having to boot up both Netflix or Prime to check for anything I want to watch (yeah, I know, first-world problems at their finest).

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Well, then. Homage to Banksy, the wall painting at the parking lot? I agree with A-Tex, don't think Tyrell and Eliot are the same; it's very unwieldy. I think Tyrell is at the door.
    Whiterose is acting against government of China and against Evil Corps for his own gain.
    Blondie is becoming rather tiresome.

Mrs. Tyrell-nutso spoke Swedish to flush Eliot out? I don't think they have met before. Tyrell can't be dead, his eyes are too spooky. It's a main meme in the show.
    Interestingly, Tyrell speaks Swedish, but his wife does not. She speaks Danish. The actress playing her is Danish -- so I don't know if it's a writing choice, or they just said to her "f it. Speak whatever non-english language you prefer, we're subtitling you anyway".

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    and then the White Rose quasi-reveal.
    My wife and were watching togehter, and right before Elliot met the White Rose, I said "I bet the chinese hacker turns out to be a woman". My wife said "nah - it'll be a man".

After the scene, my wife said: "I love that we were both right."

Quote Originally Posted by Doria View Post
    Thank you for the info! I'm pretty sure where we're staying will have Amazon (and I have a Prime account), since they do have Netflix for sure. At worst, my roommate and I can watch it on the iPad. Thanks again for the info. It gets tedious having to boot up both Netflix or Prime to check for anything I want to watch (yeah, I know, first-world problems at their finest).
    Google Chromecast is your friend... I am pretty sure it can save your eyes from sharing the iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Interestingly, Tyrell speaks Swedish, but his wife does not. She speaks Danish. The actress playing her is Danish -- so I don't know if it's a writing choice, or they just said to her "f it. Speak whatever non-english language you prefer, we're subtitling you anyway".
    I did some googling, and apparently it is not uncommon for Scandanavian peoples to have conversations in two languages, both speaking their native tongue.

I didn't catch last night's episode yet, saw the first two though.

This show just continues to blow me away. It's one of the few shows that I put everything away while watching and completely focus from beginning to end on.

I saw all of season 1 in realtime...well DVR time, but haven't seen any of season 2 yet. I've been contemplating binging a season 1 rewatch before beginning season 2.

What's everyone's recommendation on that after seeing the first few episodes of season 2. Can it stand on its own with flashbacks, previously seens, or explanations that I won't need to re-watch season 1?

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    I saw all of season 1 in realtime...well DVR time, but haven't seen any of season 2 yet. I've been contemplating binging a season 1 rewatch before beginning season 2.

What's everyone's recommendation on that after seeing the first few episodes of season 2. Can it stand on its own with flashbacks, previously seens, or explanations that I won't need to re-watch season 1?
    I wish I would have re-watched season 1 before starting season 2. Too long of a gap for me to remember all of the small details and twists.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I did some googling, and apparently it is not uncommon for Scandanavian peoples to have conversations in two languages, both speaking their native tongue.
    Maybe. I always have a hard time understanding spoken Danish. To me, the language seems to involve continually swallowing your own tongue. And I must admit that Danes don't seem to always understand me either, and it's even worse when I try to speak Danish instead. here's a series of amusing clips showing the difficulty.

But I'm more interested in why she's danish in the show. Did they just cast the actress and let her speak her own language? Or does Danish sound more menacing than Swedish? Certainly, Joanna threatening to kill Elliot with a smile on her face is a little chilling.

I'm trying to decide if we wait for season 2 to be free on prime, or just go ahead and buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Maybe. I always have a hard time understanding spoken Danish. To me, the language seems to involve continually swallowing your own tongue. And I must admit that Danes don't seem to always understand me either, and it's even worse when I try to speak Danish instead. here's a series of amusing clips showing the difficulty.
    Rodgrod med flode. Jeg elsker Danmark, but Danes are probably the prissiest group I've ever met about how others speak their language. I say that with great affection, of course. It's almost endearing. Might be because they're so unfamiliar with hearing non-natives attempting to speak to them in Danish.

I wouldn't be surprised by the explanation that they just happened to cast a Dane and a Swede as the Wellicks and since it's not unusual for Swedes, Danes and Norwegians to converse amongst each other in their native languages, said just go with it. However, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out there's some other, intentional story/theme reason for it, either.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    I wish I would have re-watched season 1 before starting season 2. Too long of a gap for me to remember all of the small details and twists.
    I think season 2 is standing strong at this point, even without a season 1 refresher viewing. There's been a fun shift towards more dark humor and the OMG moments are way over the top. Joanna terrifies me, especially when she's around the baby. And the head of ECorp, great scenery chewing.

What a blast!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Caught up last night. I forgot how I spent most of last season watching the show trying to piece everything together and then everything coming together in the last few episodes. Well, that is happening again.

Is Tyrell really alive? If so, where is he? Where is the popcorn gun? That's about to become really important since the FBI found HQ. What is Craig Robinson's character up to? Just a few of my many questions.

I thought the story behind the F Society HQ and where the name come from was pretty clever. Always just assumed it was derived from "F*** Society" and had no double meaning.

Now can someone tell me if Elliot's shrink said at some point what the reason was for his being in prison? It's the dark net site, right?
    And at this point, it'll be the finale before we see Tyrell again is my guess.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Now can someone tell me if Elliot's shrink said at some point what the reason was for his being in prison? It's the dark net site, right?
    I was wondering the same thing -- why is he in prison? Is it the dark net site? Something related to the 5/9 hack? Or did he just get busted with some drugs?

And I love that they're spending more time developing other characters this season. Giving Elliott a vacation in prison was a nice way to let us see some more development for Darlene and Angela.

Darlene...damn.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

I don't think he's in prison due to the 5/9 hack, otherwise I feel the FBI would have a better idea of what actually happened. Could be dark net related, maybe something else entirely.

I thought last week's episode was fantastic. It's been a slow start to the second season and I saw the prison twist coming from a mile away, but it seems like it's about to take off again.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    I don't think he's in prison due to the 5/9 hack, otherwise I feel the FBI would have a better idea of what actually happened. Could be dark net related, maybe something else entirely.

I thought last week's episode was fantastic. It's been a slow start to the second season and I saw the prison twist coming from a mile away, but it seems like it's about to take off again.
    I think he's in prison for hacking the therapist's boyfriend. My prediction is that is the knock at the door at the end of Season 1.

I am still trying to figure out if the scenes with Ray sans Elliott were also in the prison (given the guy his goon beat up was there to ramp Elliott up on the migration), or if those were real life scenes.

Can they get back to the cross-dressing Chinese diplomat please?! He's a terrific character.

So now we know why Elliot was in jail and got the low down on all of the characters from the first 6 shows.

Is Elliot overheating now that he's out of prison? Is that what is happening? He doesn't know about Stage 2 and that was his plan...

Whiterose getting strong-armed by E-corp. Angela freaking out when Dom shows up. Who's at the door for Darlene? Tyrell?

As always, so many questions from Mr. Robot

So, Elliot intentionally went to jail in order to subdue Mr. Robot/Dad. Elliot states that he killed Tyrell (but he didn't) but when would he have done it? Would have been when he took Tyrell to the F Society hideout, right? Popcorn gun? But, again, Tyrell isn't dead. The time jump is confusing me.