Thread: Zac Brown Band

Zac Brown Band

What a show they put on last night at Citizens Bank Park in Philly. They are absolutely phenomenal live. Can't recommend strongly enough. They mixed in covers of Queen, Dave Matthews, Boyz II Men, Led Zeppelin, Marshall Tucker Band, and Charlie Daniels. Totally fun.

And yet to enjoy such a show, you have to appreciate the band's apparent desire to stray from the kind of music that allowed them to gain popularity. When we saw them at the Final Four, my wife was the most excited among us to see them, but she walked away disappointed that they really didn't seem to want to play any pop-country. All she wanted was for them to play their radio hits, and they didn't play Chicken Fried until the encore.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilBen02 View Post
    And yet to enjoy such a show, you have to appreciate the band's apparent desire to stray from the kind of music that allowed them to gain popularity. When we saw them at the Final Four, my wife was the most excited among us to see them, but she walked away disappointed that they really didn't seem to want to play any pop-country. All she wanted was for them to play their radio hits, and they didn't play Chicken Fried until the encore.
    why does it matter when in the set they play that song? last night they played it to close the 2nd set. they also played sweet annie, colder weather, homegrown, uncaged, toes, knee deep, keep me in mind.

i just checked the setlist from the final 4. almost all of it is pop country. what radio hits did you miss?

Final Four setlist:

Keep Me in Mind
    Uncaged
    Kashmir (Led Zeppelin cover)
    The Devil Went Down to Georgia (The Charlie Daniels Band cover)
    Toes
    Goodbye in Her Eyes
    Castaway
    Enter Sandman (Metallica cover)
    Free / Into the Mystic
    As She's Walking Away
    Knee Deep
    Who Knows
    Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen cover)
    Homegrown
    Colder Weather
    Heavy Is the Head
    Chicken Fried
    Last edited by freshmanjs; 08-16-2015 at 01:14 PM.

I would expect that song towards the end of the show in most cases...seems most appropriate there.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    i just checked the setlist from the final 4. almost all of it is pop country. what radio hits did you miss?
    I won't argue that they didn't play their hits in the show I saw, but for whatever reason, the impression we got from their performance was that they were more interested in being rock gods than a fun-loving country band. Their classic rock covers were solid but pretty straightforward rather than being pop-country versions of the songs. Maybe we had unfounded expectations, but it just wasn't what we thought we'd get. That said, it was a free concert, so we got our money's worth and them some despite not enjoying it in the way we had expected.

Ive been to their show two years in a row, cant wait until Feb for the third one in a row. They are a must see no matter what is on their set list.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    What a show they put on last night at Citizens Bank Park in Philly. They are absolutely phenomenal live. Can't recommend strongly enough. They mixed in covers of Queen, Dave Matthews, Boyz II Men, Led Zeppelin, Marshall Tucker Band, and Charlie Daniels. Totally fun.
    My wife and I have seen them 3 times in Raleigh and another time in Greensboro. When they come back, we'll go see them again. I will admit that I liked last year's show a little more than this year's show. I thought that at times this year they were almost showing off what they could do (and they can do so much, play so many different songs so very well). In previous shows they covered Metallica's Enter Sandman and it was fantastic.

Like freshmanjs, I can't recommend seeing ZBB in person strong enough. They put on a great show.

I saw them live several times before their first big hit "Chicken Fried" was really gaining traction. I can tell you, even during those times, they mixed in lots of songs from other genres, mash ups and just good ole jammin' out. I think it's one of the things that makes them even more likeable and shows off their magnificent musical talents that much more.

I saw them in Raleigh when the Lincoln theatre put on a block party outside the theatre. The stage was set up in the middle of the street, tickets were $15, there were no chairs, and the only thing you could buy for some adult hydration was 24oz Bud's. As the sun was setting behind the Raleigh skyline on a luke warm evening, they drifted into a Bob Marley medley that had the whole crowd singing along.

I've been to a lot, a mean a lot, of concerts in my time including the huge mega stadiums, down to the small clubs, and this is still one of my favorite concert memories.

My absolute favorite was flying to Memphis to see Old Crow Medicine show. But that's for a another thread.

Zac and Dave Covering Willie

One of the highlights of my years as a DMB roadie.

http://youtu.be/fMVNBu-ggL8

Five years. Seems like it was ... only yesterday.

BTW: It was a zillion degrees that night at Nationals Stadium, in a way that only DC-in-late-July can be. We had a heat-stroke incident right in front of us in the pit. And, yet, there's Zac with his cold ears covered by a knit cap ...
    Last edited by Tripping William; 08-26-2015 at 08:57 PM.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

If you only know ZBB from the radio, then yeah, it might come as a surprise that they play a lot of different styles besides contemporary country. If you've ever been to a show or purchased one of their albums, you'll know that they've been covering different genres of music since their inception. They are a fun and talented group of guys, to the point that they have convinced session musicians to give up their jobs and join the band.

There is a short list of bands and musicians that one might argue will still be discussed in twenty or thirty years. ZBB is on that list.

So, ummm, this evening would it be TMI to inquire about the fit of devildeac's denim trousers and the volume-setting on his transistor? Because we know the rest . . . .
    "Amazing what a minute can do."