Straight Outta Compton

My wife and I took in this movie last night as they were showing it a day early. We were both interested because the story told is directly from our generation and was developing right as we were entering our high school years. First of all the movie is really good. It is well made, well acted and the story is one that speaks to a lot of issues that our country is still wrestling with today. At one point I looked over at my wife and said things haven't changed much have they?

I think this movie would appeal to a larger audience than most people realize. It tells the story of N.W.A but it is so much more than a biopic. Even if you don't like rap music, my wife is a bigger fan than myself, you can easily enjoy this movie. I was impressed by it and even with the 2 1/2 hour run time couldn't believe how quickly it went by.

The movie gives you a better appreciation of how much this group has actually accomplished. It's really astonishing considering where they started. Take Dr. Dre for example. He is behind some of the biggest names in the music industry the last 30 years has seen. Notice I said music industry, not just rap. Look at his resume and what he is responsible for: N.W.A., his own music, Snoop Dogg, 2 Pac, 50 Cent and Eminem. That's an impressive list.

Anyway, if you are interested at all, go see it. I think it will be worth your money.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

The box office numbers are quite strong, more than I expected. The only small and perhaps not so small issue is that a few view it as too revisionist.

I think the movie is supposed to be light hearted, notwithstanding the realities of the time in which it is set. Almost like the themes in "today was a good day" by Ice Cube. Remember, Dr. Dre and Ice Cube (and perhaps Yella and Ren) were very involved in making the movie. I am sure their bias will be to tell the story they want to tell.

In any event, I thought the movie was great. I look forward to seeing the uncut directors version when it comes out.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    I am sure their bias will be to tell the story they want to tell.
    You mean Ice Cube didn't interview any Korean-American storekeepers from South Central LA in the movie? Shocked, shocked I am!

I'm very interested to see this movie. I fondly remember NWA from my high school days. I had their Straight Outta Compton album and loved it. I was absolutely part of the suburban white crossover crowd that NWA tapped into, and their ability to do so paved the way for mainstream success of "gangsta" rappers that followed them. They were part of my teenage cultural memories.

NWA was controversial, of course, and that was the point. Some of the controversy they probably embrace proudly 25 years later. Some of it they might look back on with a twinge of regret. It'd be nice to hear a really honest discussion of all of that. I hope the movie gets into it at least a little.

PS: In case you're wondering what the heck I'm talking about, read the lyric's from Ice Cube's 1992 (I think) solo effort "Black Korea" (and try not to cringe). It wasn't a NWA song, but it reflects an unfortunate component of the frustration and anger in early 1990s LA gangsta rap culture.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    The box office numbers are quite strong, more than I expected. The only small and perhaps not so small issue is that a few view it as too revisionist.
    Haven't seen the movie, but this is what is keeping me away. It's a docudrama made by the people that the movie is about. Dre is dropping a new album this month. Ice Cube gets to launch his son's acting career.

I liked, not loved, NWA back in the day, but I doubt this movie is an impartial look at what really went down. Maybe once it's on Netflix I'll take a look.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I prefer Dynamite Hack for my gangsta rap

http://youtu.be/aeL9gagV_VA

I saw it...and thought it was fantastic. Best movie of the summer.

Yeah, it kind of glosses over their treatment of women....but it's an incredible movie about an incredible time and artistic movement in our country. And the actors are fantastic. Across the board.

I will admit that in the late 80's, I looked down on gangster rap. I bought into the idea that it was about thuggery and hatred and that in condoned and inspired violence. This movie helped expose what it was really like, and why they wrote and acted the way that they did. It's an amazing success story. The scene with the Detroit concert (and all the concert scenes) are powerful, to say the least.

This is a great movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    Yeah, it kind of glosses over their treatment of women....
    Apparently the directors cut, which will be an extra hour, goes a bit more in depth into this issue. I am looking forward to that release.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Haven't seen the movie, but this is what is keeping me away. It's a docudrama made by the people that the movie is about. Dre is dropping a new album this month. Ice Cube gets to launch his son's acting career.

I liked, not loved, NWA back in the day, but I doubt this movie is an impartial look at what really went down. Maybe once it's on Netflix I'll take a look.
    One of the guys at Grantland agrees:
    http://grantland.com/hollywood-prosp...e-cube-dr-dre/

I, too, suspect there is a whole lot of this story that got a nice spit shine before making it to film. That's not to say it won't be a great movie; just that it may not be completely accurate or honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post

Yeah -- somewhere, I think Grantland, said it is pretty much a made for VH1 movie, with album title in film title and everything. Still, I am hearing it's very entertaining, if whitewashed.

Finally had a chance to watch this last night on HBO and was totally blown away. I was not a fan of Gangsta Rap at the time, and understand the revisionist aspects of the movie and failure to show how they treated women, but it really shows how race relations and attitudes towards police in this country have not changed all that much since the '80's. Thinking of where Ice Cube (music, acting) and Dr. Dre (music, producing, sale of Beats to Apple for billions) have come from and where they are now is truly amazing. Now that it's on TV, I strongly encourage taking a look.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Finally had a chance to watch this last night on HBO and was totally blown away. I was not a fan of Gangsta Rap at the time, and understand the revisionist aspects of the movie and failure to show how they treated women, but it really shows how race relations and attitudes towards police in this country have not changed all that much since the '80's. Thinking of where Ice Cube (music, acting) and Dr. Dre (music, producing, sale of Beats to Apple for billions) have come from and where they are now is truly amazing. Now that it's on TV, I strongly encourage taking a look.
    Managed to hit the DVR on the last day of HBO's free weekend. Wasn't sure about it, but after reading your post I'm looking forward to it more than before.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."