Ken Burns' The Civil War

I caught a one-hour PBS special Tuesday night about the 25th anniversary of Ken Burns' documentary series "The Civil War"

Easily the most popular and most honored documentary work in modern times -- to this day, it remains the highest rated programming in PBS history.

The big news is that PBS will run a digitally remastered version of the series over five nights this September (7-11th). If you are young enough not to have seen it, I would strongly recommend setting time aside next month to watch. It's hard to explain how Burns could take old photos (no re-creations) and make it so exciting and so immediate. Great use of period music and actors to voice first-person accounts. Judicious use of talking heads, especially Shelby Foote.

All I can say is, give the first episode a try ... if you are not hooked, okay.

Note: Will a moderator please fix the misspelling in the title. The editor function won't let me do that.

"I heartily endorse Ken Burns' The Civil War. It makes it all seem so personal."

Signed, Mary Chestnut.

(Shelby Foote rocks)

Indeed, it is almost time to renew my mancrush on the inimitable Ken Burns. Very much looking forward to this.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Great piece; so moving.

Turns out it was composed in 1982.

From Wiki:

In 1984, filmmaker Ken Burns heard "Ashokan Farewell" and was moved by it. He used it in two of his films: The Civil War, which features the original recording by Fiddle Fever in the beginning of the film, and his 1985 documentary Huey Long.

The Civil War drew the most national attention to the piece. It is played 25 times throughout the eleven-hour series,[3] including during the emotional reading of Sullivan Ballou's letter to his wife in the first episode; it underlies nearly an hour of film.

Viewers of The Civil War frequently believe the melody is a traditional tune from the Civil War era; however, it is the only modern composition on the documentary's soundtrack as all other music is authentic 19th-century music.[3]

It was the music and sound effects, that along with the photos and their changing points of focus, that made them seem as though you might have been watching a motion picture. I taped it all the first time it was broadcast. I'm glad I did. I have been informed and entertained by it for years. I also did Baseball and Mark Twain. They were equally wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    "I heartily endorse Ken Burns' The Civil War. It makes it all seem so personal."

Signed, Mary Chestnut.

(Shelby Foote rocks)
    Yes, absolutely; must see.

One of the impacts the series had on me was to realize how recent this history was. They showed a number of veteran parades and reunions that went on well into the 20th century. And I realized that my own grandparents, who were born at the end of the 19th century, came to know and talk with some of the men who had served in the Civil War.

Agree it's must see. Been awhile since I saw the whole series, so I'll look forward to that week in early Sept.

Allow me to take this opportunity to recommend again a couple of books. Not military history, but on Lincoln. A not-well-known-enough 2 volume study of Lincoln is the late William Lee Miller's brilliant 2 volume study. V. I is entitled Lincoln's Virtues: An Ethical Biography, while V. II is President Lincoln: The Duty of a Statesman. Beautifully, often wryly, written, penetrating analysis of the public Lincoln from boyhood to death. Several other Lincoln public-career studies are better known. But this is the very best, IMO.

Miller was a major scholar of religion and ethics, finished his distinguished academic career at UVa, where he wrote several books on major American historical figures. This 2-volume study of Lincoln is just remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I caught a one-hour PBS special Tuesday night about the 25th anniversary of Ken Burns' documentary series "The Civil War"

Easily the most popular and most honored documentary work in modern times -- to this day, it remains the highest rated programming in PBS history.

The big news is that PBS will run a digitally remastered version of the series over five nights this September (7-11th). If you are young enough not to have seen it, I would strongly recommend setting time aside next month to watch. It's hard to explain how Burns could take old photos (no re-creations) and make it so exciting and so immediate. Great use of period music and actors to voice first-person accounts. Judicious use of talking heads, especially Shelby Foote.

All I can say is, give the first episode a try ... if you are not hooked, okay.

Note: Will a moderator please fix the misspelling in the title. The editor function won't let me do that.
    Should be "Burns's". Strunk and White, page 1.

One of the examples used in the book is actually "Burns's", believe it or not!

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Should be "Burns's". Strunk and White, page 1.

One of the examples used in the book is actually "Burns's", believe it or not!
    I always thought that was optional. But having said that, I am not sure that S&W have anything as optional.