Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

English Premier League 2015-16 (And Other Soccer Musings)

I know there are several soccer threads floating around throughout the Off-Topic board, but I figured it may be a good time to start a new one. The majority of leagues are getting ready to get back underway, so I thought it may be time for a blank page for discussion on both the club and international level.

Personally I'm ecstatic for the EPL to kick back off this weekend. The title race should be much more competitive than it was last season. My predictions for how the season will shake out are listed below. Spots 7-15 are really difficult to pick when you actually sit down and look through the clubs. Hoping I don't look too much like a fool at the end of the season.

The Top Four

This season I think there is a general consensus of who should qualify for Champions League Football. How those teams will finish amongst each other is a completely different story.

1.Chelsea – They’re the defending champions and went virtually unchallenged last season. It may be a new campaign, but there are few reasons to doubt that they will experience a drop off.
    2.Arsenal – Two seasons ago Arsenal started out on a tear and last season they finished in fine form. The trick will be attempting to sustain that success over an entire campaign. Giroud and Coquelin’s fitness could make or break the season.
    3.Manchester United – United have managed to spend well this summer; addressing many areas of concern. How their back four holds up and if De Gea decides to depart to Madrid (apparently van Gaal has agreed to sell him) will have a large influence on where they finish in the table.
    4.Manchester City – Outside of the Sterling news, City have remained fairly quiet over the transfer window. Pellegrini is a methodical manager and their season likely goes as Yaya Toure goes.

The Rest

Good lord this next part is a bit of a crapshoot.

5.Tottenham – Spurs will always be Spurs. On the cusp, but never quite there.
    6.Liverpool – Will Benteke fit the system? Will Sturridge ever be healthy? Will Liverpool ever make a return from mediocrity?
    7.Swansea- Swansea will look to build on a solid 8th place finish last season
    8.Everton – No Europa league should help Everton this season. Martinez will need to shore up the defense otherwise they will continue to drop unnecessary points.
    9.Southampton – Surely they will have to start to slide after more integral players depart.
    10.Palace- Padrew is an experience manager and he will again pair up with Cabaye
    11.Stoke – Mark Hughes transition away from the traditional Stoke long-ball play seems to be yielding positive results
    12.West Ham- Europa League play could make lie in the PL a little more difficult
    13.West Brom- West Brom are like your quite cousin at family Christmas. Always around. Never making too much noise.
    14.Villa – Delph and Benteke out and a lot of new faces in. Could be an interesting season for the Villains
    15.Newcastle- Was it already four seasons ago that Newcastle finished 5th?

Relegation Battle

This can often times end up being more exciting than the actual title challenge.

16.Norwich – Back in the PL after a brief exit. They should have enough to avoid an immediate trip back down to the championship.
    17.Sunderland- Sunderland have flirted with relegation battle the past few seasons and managed to avoid it. They’ll do so again for at least another year.
    18.Leicester- The time has come Leicester.
    19.AFC Bournemouth – Bournemouth may have played the best football in the Championship last season, but the PL is a different animal entirely. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a bright start to the season lead to a slow and painful death.
    20.Watford – Certain death.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    I know there are several soccer threads floating around throughout the Off-Topic board, but I figured it may be a good time to start a new one. The majority of leagues are getting ready to get back underway, so I thought it may be time for a blank page for discussion on both the club and international level.

Personally I'm ecstatic for the EPL to kick back off this weekend. The title race should be much more competitive than it was last season. My predictions for how the season will shake out are listed below. Spots 7-15 are really difficult to pick when you actually sit down and look through the clubs. Hoping I don't look too much like a fool at the end of the season.

The Top Four

This season I think there is a general consensus of who should qualify for Champions League Football. How those teams will finish amongst each other is a completely different story.

1.Chelsea – They’re the defending champions and went virtually unchallenged last season. It may be a new campaign, but there are few reasons to doubt that they will experience a drop off.
    2.Arsenal – Two seasons ago Arsenal started out on a tear and last season they finished in fine form. The trick will be attempting to sustain that success over an entire campaign. Giroud and Coquelin’s fitness could make or break the season.
    3.Manchester United – United have managed to spend well this summer; addressing many areas of concern. How their back four holds up and if De Gea decides to depart to Madrid (apparently van Gaal has agreed to sell him) will have a large influence on where they finish in the table.
    4.Manchester City – Outside of the Sterling news, City have remained fairly quiet over the transfer window. Pellegrini is a methodical manager and their season likely goes as Yaya Toure goes.

The Rest

6.Liverpool – Will Benteke fit the system? Will Sturridge ever be healthy? Will Liverpool ever make a return from mediocrity?
    8.Everton – No Europa league should help Everton this season. Martinez will need to shore up the defense otherwise they will continue to drop unnecessary points.
    9.Southampton – Surely they will have to start to slide after more integral players depart.
    10.Palace- Padrew is an experience manager and he will again pair up with Cabaye
    11.Stoke – Mark Hughes transition away from the traditional Stoke long-ball play seems to be yielding positive results
    12.West Ham- Europa League play could make lie in the PL a little more difficult
    13.West Brom- West Brom are like your quite cousin at family Christmas. Always around. Never making too much noise.
    14.Villa – Delph and Benteke out and a lot of new faces in. Could be an interesting season for the Villains

Relegation Battle

This can often times end up being more exciting than the actual title challenge.

16.Norwich – Back in the PL after a brief exit. They should have enough to avoid an immediate trip back down to the championship.
    17.Sunderland- Sunderland have flirted with relegation battle the past few seasons and managed to avoid it. They’ll do so again for at least another year.
    19.AFC Bournemouth – Bournemouth may have played the best football in the Championship last season, but the PL is a different animal entirely. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a bright start to the season lead to a slow and painful death.
    I was thinking about the upcoming EPL kickoff this morning. Great breakdown, much more depth than I can give it.

Liverpool is my team, ever since I learned that the soccer chant on Pink Floyd's Meddle ("Fearless") is "You'll Never Walk Alone," recorded at Anfield.

My Gunners

Agree with the OP overall, especially the top 4 prediction (yes, it is a consensus I think). MU has strengthened themselves I think. Chelsea returns their team basically, so if they play up to form should win again (drat). Citizens need a Yaya return to form, but Raheem with be an asset.

Think the Gunners have improved. As always, health issues pop up (Wilshere, as an example recently), but we continue to sign and develop good young players. And it appears that with the debt from Emirates off the books, we have budget for Arsene. (Rumors continue to fly re: Benzema, but transfer rumors are generally ridiculous on all these blogs and sites.) Re-signed Theo and Santi, and Ozil seemed to be back in form at the end of last year. Alexis is, well, Alexis. Had a great first year with us. I like Olivier, but he gets a lot of criticism (recently from Thierry I believe). Not expert enough to understand why.

I think the key is actually improved GKing. Cech is a clear upgrade and brings stability to the position.

And as the OP implied, consistency throughout the year will be the key.

COYG!

[As for my non-EPL team - Juve. OY...how do you lose Tevez, Pirlo, Vidal, and (possibly) Pogba and expect to repeat? Some good signings, but net-net? It's been a great run of Scudettos, but this year will be a challenge I fear.]

The Top Four

The Rest

Relegation Battle

I think you have this pretty well summed up. I'm not sure that Liverpool have the horses to try and shoot for that top 4 spot, and it will be the Chelsea, Man City, Man U and Arsenal going for the trophy. I think Everton could finish 5th if they can be consistent and Timmy Howard can get back to his form he had in 2013-14.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Everton have just extended contracts of 2 key players, McCarthy and Mirallas, expect to sign a couple more players before transfer window closes, and expect/think/hope they'll be able to keep Stones for at least 2015-16 season. But they seem to be hit with injury problems again this preseason, and may not have the depth to get up to 5th or 6th. Everton fans are less than fully enthusiastic about Tim Howard these days. He did not have a good EPL season last year. Martinez still trusts him, but the fans grow restless.

Everton -- Baines with another ankle injury, and Martinez's comment implies Baines may be out for months. And Everton have already loaned out their very promising young LB, Garbutt, so depth problems already biting them.

Another season for burnsbesq and me in the Championship (where is he these days by the way?). Our two clubs are the only ones still under transfer embargo and we opened our seasons with losses already.

Sportsmanship isn't (totally) dead.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/e...adlines&wpmm=1

Certainly not what they had in mind at the Emirates when envisioning the start to the Gunners' campaign. Petr Cech was shockingly bad in goal, and other than Oxlade-Chamberlain, there was very little in the way of inspiring play anywhere else. Disappointing, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Certainly not what they had in mind at the Emirates when envisioning the start to the Gunners' campaign. Petr Cech was shockingly bad in goal, and other than Oxlade-Chamberlain, there was very little in the way of inspiring play anywhere else. Disappointing, to say the least.
    It was completely surprising and not surprising at all at the same time. As an Arsenal fan I've almost come to expect to get my hopes up and have them completely shattered a time or two throughout the season.

Outside of the Arsenal/West Ham game, nothing too crazy happened the first weekend. Chelsea were held to a point, United were slightly fortunate to win on an OG and that Spurs didn't find the back of the net. Liverpool a little lucky to get that beautiful late goal from Coutinho.

I'm just glad the PL is back on my TV on weekend mornings

Another weekend of games complete with Liverpool/Bournemouth to come this afternoon.

Man City absolutely embarrassed Chelsea yesterday 3-0. If Aguero can stay healthy then City looks like they may be the new favorites for the title. Season is young though.

Arsenal got back on track knocking off Crystal Palace 2-1.

Spurs drew with Stoke and Everton dismantled Southampton.

United looked sloppy but took care of Villa 1-0 on Friday.

Two games in and City and United sit on 6 points. Liverpool can join them today as the race for the top 4 continues.

Another weekend of games complete with Liverpool/Bournemouth to come this afternoon.

Arsenal got back on track knocking off Crystal Palace 2-1.
    We won on an OG, but, heck, I'll take it...looked good for long stretches. Olivier's goal was sensational...

City were again impressive over the weekend. Chelsea notched their first victory and Pedro seemed to play well, especially considering the circumstances. United dropped three points to Newcastle. Arsenal and Liverpool somehow ended 0-0.

City look formidable early on.

Where my Liverpool fans at?!

Great draw on Monday away at Arsenal. Usually I hate 0-0 scoreless draws, but this was extremely entertaining, end-to-end stuff. Both sides should be happy with a point.

18 yo Joe Gomez is a revelation at LB; he was unfazed shutting down Ozil and Sanchez that they eventually switched over to the right side where new RB Clyne was superb as well (guess 1 in 4 of our Southampton signings succeed).

Rodgers is going to have to figure out the midfield puzzle. Lucas at DM helped us look way more threatening as both Can and Milner were free to roam. Who makes way for Henderson? Are Milner and Henderson too similar to play at the same time? Without proper cover, we'd be foolish to sell Lucas anytime soon. And it was pretty awesome to have a Brazilian trio starting, especially since Coutinho and Firmino are the bright lights of Brazil's future.

Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    Where my Liverpool fans at?!

Great draw on Monday away at Arsenal. Usually I hate 0-0 scoreless draws, but this was extremely entertaining, end-to-end stuff. Both sides should be happy with a point.

18 yo Joe Gomez is a revelation at LB; he was unfazed shutting down Ozil and Sanchez that they eventually switched over to the right side where new RB Clyne was superb as well (guess 1 in 4 of our Southampton signings succeed).

Rodgers is going to have to figure out the midfield puzzle. Lucas at DM helped us look way more threatening as both Can and Milner were free to roam. Who makes way for Henderson? Are Milner and Henderson too similar to play at the same time? Without proper cover, we'd be foolish to sell Lucas anytime soon. And it was pretty awesome to have a Brazilian trio starting, especially since Coutinho and Firmino are the bright lights of Brazil's future.
    Terrible result for Liverpool today. The pressure will be mounting on Mr. Rogers now....

Crystal Palace, baby. Nice win today.

What a strange weekend. City and Arsenal both win. Chelsea, United, and Liverpool all lose. City have already started to build a slight gap on the rest of the real title contenders. It's still very early, but it's never a good idea to lose contact with the leader.

What a strange weekend. City and Arsenal both win. Chelsea, United, and Liverpool all lose. City have already started to build a slight gap on the rest of the real title contenders. It's still very early, but it's never a good idea to lose contact with the leader.
    Gunners' win, although a win, on an OG. Still a shaky start to the season. And getting tired of all the transfer talk and rumors. If we brought in everyone we're linked to, we'd have to play 50 men a game. Geesh. I guess it's part of the football world. Bloggers run amok.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Gunners' win, although a win, on an OG. Still a shaky start to the season. And getting tired of all the transfer talk and rumors. If we brought in everyone we're linked to, we'd have to play 50 men a game. Geesh. I guess it's part of the football world. Bloggers run amok.
    I think the transfer talk is especially intense because it's very apparent that Arsenal need a quality striker. In 4 matches, the Gunners have scored *1* goal (and yet have managed 7 points).

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    I think the transfer talk is especially intense because it's very apparent that Arsenal need a quality striker. In 4 matches, the Gunners have scored *1* goal (and yet have managed 7 points).
    Well stated. I happen to like Giroud, and he's been productive, but clearly we need something more up front. Last year at this time (if I remember correctly) I think we were concerned with the defense...always something.