Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My first memory is fuzzy, but has to do with my grandfather planting a tree in our new front yard; we had just moved. I was three.

More clear memory: first time in Yankee Stadium (at age 4). Everything was so green. And everything smelled like cigars.

Was born on a farm. Snuck away from my parents as they were working in a field next to the cow pasture, and ended up in the pasture with our milk cow "Daisey", who thought she was a pet. As my parents were calling me, and I was heading to them, Daisey calmly walked up behind me, stuck out her massive tongue and lifted me by my butt and carried me about 20 feet to the fence.

I remember being totally dumbfounded and disgusted that my parents were laughing hysterically while I was crying in absolute fear for my life.

It was my birthday, I want to say I was 1 year old because there was only 1 candle. But I could've been 2 or 3. My sister worked very hard making me a birthday cake with a raspberry coconut icing, upon which I discovered I really hate coconut. I don't recall how I reacted, but it was apparent I wasn't happy and it hurt my sister's feelings terribly. Believe it or not I regret it to this day which is why the memory is still so very intense and may substantiate why I think it was my first birthday. Fortunately I have no memory of being 7 months old when that same sister dropped me out of 2nd story window onto a brick patio, a nice little freefall of about 20 feet. My sister claims it was an accident (it was). At least my parents bought the story.

Thanks for messing with my head DBR. So just how far back should a person be able to remember?
    I'm sitting here thinking about my earliest memory and I recall starting kindergarden just shy of my fifth birthday and that's about it.
    Now I know I broke my collarbone when I was three or four, but can't recall how and to be honest it never can up when discussing it. Whenever it did come-up it was about how the doctor put the safety pin which held the sling through my forearm and how I constantly complained about it and no one believed me until the day the doctor took my arm out of the sling. I've got a nice little scar on my forearm to remind me about this, but I honestly don't recall all of this.
    Color me dazed and confused.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Thanks for messing with my head DBR. So just how far back should a person be able to remember? ...
    Reynolds Price gave an assignment to students in his first class to write about their earliest memory. Anne Tyler’s memory want back farther than others – to before the age of 1.

https://books.google.com/books?id=V6...0tyler&f=false

I have two memories and I don't know which came first, and they're both from when I was 4 I'm guessing (though maybe 3).

The underwear that I had on yesterday.

Wait! I still hav'em on!