Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Austin Nichols transfers to Virginia

I have heard conflicting accounts of Memphis transfer Austin Nichols' interest in Duke as a destination for 2016-17, and the conflicts come from the same media outlet.

CBS' Jon Rothstein calls Duke the favorite
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ly-destination

CBS' Gary Parrish, on this podcast, says no
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ns-world-title

FYI, the podcast includes a nice meaty opening segment on Duke's recruiting prowess.

Nichols seems like a stud, I can't say I know his game very well, but I wonder if those more plugged into recruiting have an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I have heard conflicting accounts of Memphis transfer Austin Nichols' interest in Duke as a destination for 2016-17, and the conflicts come from the same media outlet.

FYI, the podcast includes a nice meaty opening segment on Duke's recruiting prowess.

Nichols seems like a stud, I can't say I know his game very well, but I wonder if those more plugged into recruiting have an opinion.
    Assuming we get Harry Giles, Austin Nichols seems a little excessive, no? If Nichols plays the 4/5, he'll compete with Jeter, Obi, Giles, Tatum (you know he's gonna be the 4 at Duke) for a starting spot. Plus, he may compete with Vrank and Robinson.

Assuming we don't get Giles, there is still a lot of competition to overcome.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I seem to recall that this guy was on our recruiting radar with a Duke offer in 2012, and I was mildly intrigued at the time, but now I'm VERY interested in getting this guy. He was 6-8, 200 as a high school senior, but is now listed at 6-9, 228.

He averaged 13.3 points, 6.1 boards, and an insane 3.4 blocks as a sophomore at Memphis last year. He had 2 games with 6 blocks, as well as a 7-block game and an 8-block game. He also shot about 50% from the field, with the ability to score down low or hit the mid range J. Elite rim protection and versatile offensive game? YES PLEASE.

Regardless of who we have on the roster, this guy is a proven scorer and defender with 2 years of D-1 college experience. With a big rotation of Jeter, Obi, and Nichols, we'd already have the makings of a very good interior rotation. If anything, he's a very capable backup plan in case we don't get Giles.

Tatum seems like he's a more natural fit at the 3.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Assuming we get Harry Giles, Austin Nichols seems a little excessive, no? If Nichols plays the 4/5, he'll compete with Jeter, Obi, Giles, Tatum (you know he's gonna be the 4 at Duke) for a starting spot. Plus, he may compete with Vrank and Robinson.

Assuming we don't get Giles, there is still a lot of competition to overcome.
    I read that Notre Dame is a possible landing spot. He looks solid as a player- but as you say Duke is loading up.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I read that Notre Dame is a possible landing spot. He looks solid as a player- but as you say Duke is loading up.
    Yeah. If he's not Duke, I'd love him to go to Marquette or Notre Dame.

Also, I think Kentucky showed this past year that there is such thing as 'too much talent'. It won't affect your performance that year, but it hurts in recruiting when 5-star players don't want to play 15 minutes a game or sit on the bench during crunch time.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Duke certainly recruited Nichols the first time around, back in the Duke-can't-develop-big-man days.

He picked Memphis in part because he wanted to stay close to home and, if the internet can be believed, because he had a girl friend going there.

But also part of the narrative was a desire to be THE MAN.

He's a good player, more offensively minded than someone like Amile Jefferson, and he's a rim protector. But I'm not sure he's good enough to be the man at Duke.

Nichols would have to sit out the 2015-16 season. If Duke signs Giles, then Nichols is going to have to play the 5 at Duke and likely would have to compete for PT with Jeter, Obi and Vrankovic and that's assuming Duke doesn't sign Bolden, and Duke is making a huge effort on Bolden.

Then again, there is a real chance that Duke could lose Giles and Jeter after the 2017 season and Nichols could get a lot of PT as a fifth-year senior in 2018. Then again, Duke may well have a freshman stud or two that season.

So, lots of moving parts. I do think Nichols could help Duke. But he would have to embrace the likelihood of a lesser role in exchange for a better chance of team success, along with a Duke degree. I suspect he's not going to be receptive. But it's just a hunch, not any inside info.

EDIT: wow, five responses in less than 10 minutes. Don't we have anything better to do?

Am I the only one who is really impressed by the 3.4 blocks per game?? I mean, okay, granted it's against schools like Oral Roberts and Jacksonville State, but it shows he's got the length and athleticism to be a capable rim protector. Anyone who can do that (AND score) can play for my team any day.
    Last edited by kAzE; 07-14-2015 at 01:19 PM.

I'd believe Gary Parrish on this one. He is based in Memphis and has connections to the Nichols family.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Would rather have Wendell Carter than Nichols. Nichols is a good player, great shot blocker, ehhh rebounder, and a decent scorer. Wendell Carter has the potential to be better.

If nothing else, Nichols' recruitment will be interesting. Memphis put UVA on the exclusion list because the teams could meet in a tournament next year, and now the family has lawyered up to get a full release.

That makes me think UVA is the leader, but I have no idea if he'll get the full release and how quickly it could come. It's not too long now before classes start.

And for what it's worth, y'all are absolutely loaded in the frontcourt year after next. Given the choice (read: full release), I can't imagine Nichols stepping into that situation when he can practice for a year and become eligible at UVA after Gill, Tobey and Nolte graduate. But my hoops career peaked on the JV team in high school, so I can't say I know what happens to the brain when a Duke offer comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkstarWahoo View Post
    If nothing else, Nichols' recruitment will be interesting. Memphis put UVA on the exclusion list because the teams could meet in a tournament next year, and now the family has lawyered up to get a full release.

That makes me think UVA is the leader, but I have no idea if he'll get the full release and how quickly it could come. It's not too long now before classes start.
    The unc basketball team read that post; half laughed, but the other half was highly confused.

The unc women's soccer team tried to read the post, but couldn't.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...-attend-school

On the CBS podcast, Parrish mentioned that Nichols' relatives are the ones who donated the $ to build John Paul Jones arena and they say that's where he'd be if Memphis didn't suspect tampering. It sounds like a big mess, but it would be a nice get for TB and you fans.

You have to think Nichols ends up at UVa - his preference seems clear, and it's hard to see Memphis fighting too hard to keep a player from transferring to a school outside their league and state. Still, schools sometimes do dumb things.

And for what it's worth, y'all are absolutely loaded in the frontcourt year after next. Given the choice (read: full release), I can't imagine Nichols stepping into that situation when he can practice for a year and become eligible at UVA after Gill, Tobey and Nolte graduate. But my hoops career peaked on the JV team in high school, so I can't say I know what happens to the brain when a Duke offer comes in.
    It does sound rather strange that the Nichols family would retain legal counsel if he wanted to come to Duke, since we are not on the exclusion list. Two of the excluded schools, Providence and Iowa, are just smokescreens. So it is logical that UVa or Tennessee are where he and his dad are eyeing as a preferred landing spot. And since UT is a mess right now, I doubt it's there, either.

If it does go to court - and I can't imagine it does - it's going to be a whole lot bigger than UVA, Memphis and Nichols. A court win for Nichols could completely blow up the transfer rules for college hoops.

I wonder if there have been some phone calls from Indianapolis to Memphis today.

I also think Parrish is the most trustworthy source so Duke and UK are unlikely landing spots. Parrish also indicated that the Memphis probably suspects UVA of tampering which is why they are on the banned list and the pre-season tournament is just an excuse to put them on the list (Likewise Providence and the other teams in that tournament were added only as cover for putting UVA on the lisl - no chance Nichols would pick Providence. Also all the podcast guys think Pastneur is on the hot seat now but his large buyout might keep him around another year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I also think Parrish is the most trustworthy source so Duke and UK are unlikely landing spots. Parrish also indicated that the Memphis probably suspects UVA of tampering which is why they are on the banned list and the pre-season tournament is just an excuse to put them on the list (Likewise Providence and the other teams in that tournament were added only as cover for putting UVA on the lisl - no chance Nichols would pick Providence. Also all the podcast guys think Pastneur is on the hot seat now but his large buyout might keep him around another year or so.
    Personally, I hate when a program prevents the transfer of a kid to any school. I wouldn't like it, but I would advocate for Duke letting Grayson Allen transfer to UNC if he really, really wanted to do such a thing (not too concerned about this, obviously).
    If UVA tampered with Nichols, then it seems like there should be some recourse Memphis can pursue with UVA rather than punishing Nichols for wanting to transfer. If Nichols' father or perhaps even Austin himself did something that violated NCAA rules by talking to UVA or accepting gifts, then the NCAA should suspend him or mete out whatever the appropriate punishment should be. However, to just flat out deny a transfer seems vindictive for the sake of being vindictive.

If it does go to court - and I can't imagine it does - it's going to be a whole lot bigger than UVA, Memphis and Nichols. A court win for Nichols could completely blow up the transfer rules for college hoops.

I wonder if there have been some phone calls from Indianapolis to Memphis today.
    The NCAA won't even need to get involved to get Memphis to remove the restrictions. From the Memphis insiders, the Jones family are longtime fans and donors of the Memphis program. If they want to get the kid released to UVa, it'll happen. The apparent impropriety of all this seems pretty bad, but these same "Memphis insiders" (take that for whatever it's worth) say that Nichols wanted to transfer, wanted UVa, and they're just friends of his family trying to help him get what he wants. None of the Joneses "recruited" Nichols to leave Memphis.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    The NCAA won't even need to get involved to get Memphis to remove the restrictions. From the Memphis insiders, the Jones family are longtime fans and donors of the Memphis program. If they want to get the kid released to UVa, it'll happen. The apparent impropriety of all this seems pretty bad, but these same "Memphis insiders" (take that for whatever it's worth) say that Nichols wanted to transfer, wanted UVa, and they're just friends of his family trying to help him get what he wants. None of the Joneses "recruited" Nichols to leave Memphis.
    What's the cure for tampering? More tampering.