Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556
Results 1,101 to 1,114 of 1114
    Bubba makes a presentation to the UNC Faculty Athletics Committee on the status of the NOA response.

He is apparently planning to go down with the ship:

"There are zero allegations of academic fraud (from the NCAA)," he said.

The notice, he said, mentions "improper benefits" given to student-athletes, but never categorizes it as academic fraud.
    Last edited by BigWayne; 08-14-2015 at 02:31 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Bubba makes a presentation to the UNC Faculty Athletics Committee on the status of the NOA response.

The notice, he said, mentions "improper benefits" given to student-athletes, but never categorizes it as academic fraud.
    So it is or it isn't an academic issue?

It's an acalethic one.

i wonder what he's even getting at with that point. i mean he can't be arguing an academic fraud didn't occur, right? does anybody know the context or what the Faculty Athletics Committee's angle of interest is given their responsibilities?

i think this quote summarizes their attitude toward taking responsibility for their actions best of all:

"We can't really argue that," Cunningham said. "There's factual evidence there."

UNC Faculty Athletics Committe

Quote Originally Posted by bob blue devil View Post
    i wonder what he's even getting at with that point. i mean he can't be arguing an academic fraud didn't occur, right? does anybody know the context or what the Faculty Athletics Committee's angle of interest is given their responsibilities?
    The FAC at UNC is mostly concerned with how good their season ticket seats are. They are even more compromised than the Board of Trustees, which is saying something. They have a record of dealing with trivia while ignoring the oversight role that is in their charge, and making excuses for the athletic program when needed.
    The chair of this important committee is an untenured associate professor from the "allied health" department of the medical school who teaches X-Ray technicians. Her highest degree is an MA in curriculum and instruction, a degree UNC doesn't offer any more. She is hopeless.
    Only 3 of the 10 members are from the College of Arts and Sciences, and one of those is Andy Perrin, perhaps the most persistent apologist for the administration's mishandling of this business. The other 7 are from professional schools that never see money-sports athletes in the classroom. One of them is Deborah Stroman, late of Exercise and Sports Science, now kicked upstairs into the business school, who is implicated in the paper class scam by emails in the Wainstein Report appendix. Another is the notorious Lissa Broome, of the law school, whose appointment as Faculty Athletics Representative was just extended, despite her record of non-, mis-, or malfeasance.
    Don't get me started. Well, I guess you did.

By the way

By the way, a description of the current state of affairs at UNC just posted on Jay and Mary's website is very amusing, in a grim sort of way. Check it out:
    HTML Code:
    http://paperclassinc.com/ghost-writer-of-unc-past/

Quote Originally Posted by porcophile View Post
    By the way, a description of the current state of affairs at UNC just posted on Jay and Mary's website is very amusing, in a grim sort of way. Check it out:
    HTML Code:

FIFY.

"I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Quote Originally Posted by porcophile View Post
    HTML Code:
    Followed the link but didn't see the referenced attachment, supposedly authored by the late Frank Porter Graham, UNC President and U.S. Senator, whom Sage met at a Duke reception 50 years ago.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Right. The Notice says that the "improper benefits" were the exact same misconduct described in the Wainstein Report and everywhere else as academic fraud -- but the Notice didn't use the specific words "academic fraud," so it's all good.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 08-14-2015 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Removed offensive gif
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    Right. The Notice says that the "improper benefits" were the exact same misconduct described in the Wainstein Report and everywhere else as academic fraud -- but the Notice didn't use the specific words "academic fraud," so it's all good.

It's typical -- hiding behind a flimsy construction. "Academic fraud" is the province of the accrediting agency, not the NCAA, and SACSOC has given its opinion in the strongest terms. Moreover, the NCAA lawyers, facing a lawsuit on academics, will likely want to keep the loaded term out of any accusations against member schools.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

New CNN article by Sara Ganim.

When football season begins, the University of North Carolina Tar Heels will have more than just 12 games to worry about. They're also facing the looming judgment of the NCAA infractions board for the worst academic fraud case in the history of college sports.

It then goes on to show how the NCAA has been wildly inconsistent in its enforcement actions and puts pretty significant accusations on big frauds having gone uninvestigated at Michigan and Auburn.
    Jerry Tarkanian (RIP) must be wondering where Sarah Ganim was when he needed her.

As for Michigan and Auburn, I blame Ohio State and Alabama for them skating. Another reason we should be thanking PackPride (and Dan Kane) every day for their tenacity.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    It's an acalethic one.
    It's gonna be aca-ackward for Bubba when the cheats get hammered for acalethic fraud. But its gonna be aca-awesome for us to watch the meltdown.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Jerry Tarkanian (RIP) must be wondering where Sarah Ganim was when he needed her.
    I believe the answer is "preschool."

In light of the significant new development of UNC finding new violations that will delay their response to the NOA, a new thread has been started.

-Jason "just trying to keep things neat and clean around here" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?