Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
I keep getting reminded of why I don't do well in this contest, even though I tell myself to hold my nose and pick movies that I wouldn't see in a million years (Transformers, the Twilight films, the Mission Impossible stuff).

That message was reinforced today as I took a movie day and finally saw the Avengers and Tomorrowland.

I was greatly disappointed by The Avengers ... and I loved the first one. I thought it was dull and pointless. It's going to make $500 million plus.

On the other hand, I was blown away by Tomorrowland. Despite the so-so reviews and the fading box office, I thought it was a brilliant film -- by far the best Bird has done. Easily the best film I've seen in the last couple of years. Yet, it will be lucky to reach $150 million.

I don't get it.
Because Tomorrowland was a bad movie, by far the worst of Bird's career. Udaman was right that the movie is a trainwreck structurally - the first act is offputting, the middle of the film is solid extended chase sequences with some inspired setpieces, and the last act is just a mess. We spend the entire movie hearing about Tomorrowland, and the movie gets there and there's basically no one there except the villain, who is defeated in about fifteen minutes. And the themes of the movie were impossibly muddled, which can be ignored in an otherwise great movie like The Incredibles, but in something like this it's just a distraction. Just a deeply disappointing effort.