Largest team in recent memory

Gone are the teams starting 3 guys 6'2" or smaller and remarkably non-athletic. Coach K has recruited the big boys and the team roster for the coming season shows it. We will rival last years Kentucky team for size. I added attributes to players who have established them or are likely to possess them. The only one which needs explanation is "Gifted", by which I mean good ball handlers who see the floor well and who are likely to score 10 or more points per game.

Marshall 7'0" 255 (strong, athletic, experienced)
    Antonio 6'11" 270 (strong)
    Chase 6'10" 230 (athletic)
    Sean 6'9" 279 (very strong, experienced)
    Amile 6'9" 215 (athletic, experienced)
    Brandon 6'8" 215 (athletic, gifted)
    Justin 6'7" 210 (developing)
    Matt 6'5" 210 (strong, experienced)
    Luke 6'5" 195 (gifted)
    Grayson 6'4" 195 (athletic, experienced, gifted)
    Nick 6'3" 195 (backup)
    Derryck 6'1" 190 (athletic, gifted)

Perhaps some of the heights should be "deflated" a little, but the trend is clear. Coach K is recruiting larger players across the board except for the PG where he will take skill first.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Gone are the teams starting 3 guys 6'2" or smaller and remarkably non-athletic. Coach K has recruited the big boys and the team roster for the coming season shows it. We will rival last years Kentucky team for size. I added attributes to players who have established them or are likely to possess them. The only one which needs explanation is "Gifted", by which I mean good ball handlers who see the floor well and who are likely to score 10 or more points per game.

Marshall 7'0" 255 (strong, athletic, experienced)
    Antonio 6'11" 270 (strong)
    Chase 6'10" 230 (athletic)
    Sean 6'9" 279 (very strong, experienced)
    Amile 6'9" 215 (athletic, experienced)
    Brandon 6'8" 215 (athletic, gifted)
    Justin 6'7" 210 (developing)
    Matt 6'5" 210 (strong, experienced)
    Luke 6'5" 195 (gifted)
    Grayson 6'4" 195 (athletic, experienced, gifted)
    Nick 6'3" 195 (backup)
    Derryck 6'1" 190 (athletic, gifted)

Perhaps some of the heights should be "deflated" a little, but the trend is clear. Coach K is recruiting larger players across the board except for the PG where he will take skill first.
    Interesting list. Seems impossible from video I've seen that Ingram could possibly weigh as much as Amile.

K says Ingram is 6'9" and I would be shocked if he was 190#.

Z
    miles
    mason
    kelly
    lance

all the way down to our 6'5 PG

that was a tall team.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Z
    miles
    mason
    kelly
    lance

all the way down to our 6'5 PG

that was a tall team.
    Pretty comparable. One "little" guy (Thornton, Smith), one normal-sized guard (Allen, Kennard), a bunch of talls. We will probably play a little smaller if all three of Allen, Kennard, and Jones get significant minutes. But fairly close.

As far as height is concerned, the 1989 team matches up with anyone. Danny Ferry, Alaa Abdelnaby, Christian Laettner, Crawford Palmer, Clay Buckley and George Burgin were all in the 6-9 to 7-0 range. John Smith was 6-8, Greg Koubek 6-6, Robert Brickey 6-5 on the wing. The starting guards were 6-4 Phil Henderson and 6-3 Quinn Snyder. Joe Cook was a bulky 6-2.

Weight-lifting was a bit less sophisticated in those days, so these guys wouldn't have weighed as much.

Then again, neither would have the competition.
    Last edited by jimsumner; 05-16-2015 at 11:18 AM.

Yes, how soon I forget

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    As far as height is concerned, the 1989 team matches up with anyone. Danny Ferry, Alaa Abdelnaby, Christian Laettner, Crawford Palmer, Clay Buckley and George Burgin were all in the 6-9 to 7-0 range. John Smith was 6-8, Greg Koubek 6-6, Robert Brickey 6-5 on the wing. The starting guards were 6-4 Phil Henderson and 6-3 Quinn Snyder. Joe Cook was a bulky 6-2.

Weight-lifting was a bit less sophisticated in those days, so these guys wouldn't have weighed as much.

Then again, neither would have the competition.
    I was thinking how small we got with Curry, Thornton and Cook starting on the team. We did have teams with a lot of height.

The 2003 team ranks high up there in this category. We had six guys at 6'9-plus with four in the regular rotation: Shelden, Shav, Sanders and Horvath. Michael Thompson and Patrick Johnson were also on the roster and gave us spot minutes during desperate times.

Quote Originally Posted by 1999ballboy View Post
    The 2003 team ranks high up there in this category. We had six guys at 6'9-plus with four in the regular rotation: Shelden, Shav, Sanders and Horvath. Michael Thompson and Patrick Johnson were also on the roster and gave us spot minutes during desperate times.
    That is technically true in terms of roster. But in terms of effective (i.e., playing) height, the 2003 team wasn't terribly tall. We played Duhon (6'1"), Ewing (6'3"), Redick (6'4") and Jones (6'6") for heavy minutes, and Dockery (6'2") got regular minutes too. Those guys averaged ~136 minutes per game combined, which meant we played about half the game with Jones at PF.

Quote Originally Posted by kcduke75 View Post
    K says Ingram is 6'9" and I would be shocked if he was 190#.
    Brandon weighed 196 at the Nike Hoop Summit, and measured 6'9 1/2" in shoes, 6'8" without

Comparables for Chase were 239, 6"10" and 6'9"

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...ments-Team-USA