Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I found your review to be spot-on as far as describing what the viewer would and wouldn't get from the movie. The only problem, I didn't see your review until I had already seen the movie.

I don't lurk around in the off-topic thread very often, so when I saw the Mad Max thread, I felt compelled to give my .02 cents.(I hate that I missed out on the summer film polls.)

No, it was Rotten Tomatos that lead me astray from conventional wisdom and convinced me to convince my lady to come along. "It'll be good," I said. "You'll like it," I said. "It's getting good reviews," I said. I should've known better.

And she has already begun to cash in. I had to watch the batchelorette last night for the first time in my life. That was the longest hour of my life. I'd rather watch Mad Max 3 times in a row than to sit through one new episode of that garbage.

Since we're keeping score..I'm 36 and my lady is also.
    That sounds dreadful, I met a girl over the weekend and for our second date she wants to go to a movie. She wants me to pick it as she seems to think that ones movie choices for dates is important and wants to see what I choose. I feel like this may be some sort of trap. She is 23 so I am thinking Pitch Perfect 2 is pretty much my best option. I would prefer to go see Mad Max again and maybe she loves action movies or is a huge Charlize Theron fan, but am afraid It will end up badly. After reading your harrowing tale of having to watch the Bachelorette for a full hour, I am def going with PP2.

Quote Originally Posted by AIRFORCEDUKIE View Post
    That sounds dreadful, I met a girl over the weekend and for our second date she wants to go to a movie. She wants me to pick it as she seems to think that ones movie choices for dates is important and wants to see what I choose. I feel like this may be some sort of trap. She is 23 so I am thinking Pitch Perfect 2 is pretty much my best option. I would prefer to go see Mad Max again and maybe she loves action movies or is a huge Charlize Theron fan, but am afraid It will end up badly. After reading your harrowing tale of having to watch the Bachelorette for a full hour, I am def going with PP2.
    <Wise old married man>
    Just remember. The precedent you set is the one by which you must live.
    </Wise old married man>

Edit: I made you a graph. Depends on where you fall on the graph, I guess.

graph.jpg
    Last edited by jacone21; 05-19-2015 at 09:37 AM.

Ok, first, I had to spork Jacone for the graph.

Second, I'm 35, love action movies, but have ZERO interest in seeing Mad Max, even before the latest posts (which make me feel better).

We need to start a new poll / topic discussing the greatest action movies, maybe by decade or something. Big Trouble in Little China counts, right? I used to love "Under Siege".

Any list like that ends with Die Hard (and must have at least 3-4 Arnold movies on it)

I'm 47 (yikes, can't believe that statement is true) and I thought Mad Max was the best action movie I've seen in a long time (though I also really liked Edge of Tomorrow, which I guess is an action movie)

Quote Originally Posted by jacone21 View Post
    <Wise old married man>
    </Wise old married man>

graph.jpg
    Jacone, is your real name Barney Stinson?

You have chosen....wisely.

There's no way in hell PP2 is worse any worse than The Bachelorette. So if it gets you brownie points, go for it. However, tread lightly, because you can only hold out as an avid chick flick lover for so long, the truth will eventually come out.

I'll tell you the advice my grandpa always gave me when it came to dating someone new..."Start out like you can hold out." Meaning, don't do too much in the beginning that you wouldn't do later on or she'll expect it all the time.

Back on topic, I am apparently the minority in my opinion of Mad Max. My friends opinion of the movie are starting to pour in at Happy Hour and dinners out, and I'm the only one who didn't like it. Oh well, Hollywood knows its audience I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Jacone, is your real name Barney Stinson?
    If I were alllowed to give you a soork for this, I so would. That was awesome. No, it was legen- wait for it -dary.

I think left out of the over 45 aged viewer comments are those who loved the originals. I'm not quite 45 yet, but I enjoyed the first three as a kid, so definitely wanna see it. My dad will probably go with me, as the kids are a little young.

Quote Originally Posted by jacone21 View Post
    <Wise old married man>
    </Wise old married man>

graph.jpg

Yes, I would like to include that her Hotness is at a level that renders graphs and logic useless. So as Barney would say, "Unless Shes Hot"... She is, very hot and I have to make a big bang with her before her ex comes running back for her. Because you know that every hot girl, who has a job and isn't a moron you have about 2 weeks to lock that up before the Ex realizes what a jackass he is.

Im on day 7 of her ex breaking up with her, and day 4 of knowing her so I gotta make a splash whilst I can lol.

Im on day 7 of her ex breaking up with her, and day 4 of knowing her so I gotta make a splash whilst I can lol.
    Hmmmm....She's on a rebound, and you just met. I got news for you buddy - this probably isn't going to last no matter what movie you take her to. So don't do something you think she would like. Do something that you will like (she asked you, remember). If it's meant to be....it will work out. If she pulls away because of your movie choice...it wasn't going to last more than a few days anyway.

Udaman

(this advice is coming from someone who took a first date to see Fatal Attraction back in 1987....she ended up not being the one...but we did still date for another 4 months, so there)

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Apparently the rage at the Cannes Film Festival. It's not an entry but was shown on opening night and now everyone is trying to see it again according to the article I read.

Quote Originally Posted by Reisen View Post
    Ok, first, I had to spork Jacone for the graph.

Second, I'm 35, love action movies, but have ZERO interest in seeing Mad Max, even before the latest posts (which make me feel better).

We need to start a new poll / topic discussing the greatest action movies, maybe by decade or something. Big Trouble in Little China counts, right? I used to love "Under Siege".
    Predator, for sure.

And it may be a little light on the action to be considered for the category, but man, I just love Ronin. That car chase gets me every time.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    Apparently the rage at the Cannes Film Festival. It's not an entry but was shown on opening night and now everyone is trying to see it again according to the article I read.
    They talked about it on Friday's Marketplace (APM) also.

Just saw this last night, finally.

Holy cow was it great.

Yea, it was action packed and had incredible stunts/moments. But I think the people that lament the lack of plot really were looking for conventional story telling. I felt the plot was well done and was told through visuals, rather than dialogue.

And the visuals... just a beautifully shot and edited film. Definitely worth the accolades, but yea, definitely not making a ton of money. It's for a very niche audience. But that audience will see it multiple times and buy the Blu Ray. This has "cult classic" written all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Just saw this last night, finally.

Holy cow was it great.

Yea, it was action packed and had incredible stunts/moments. But I think the people that lament the lack of plot really were looking for conventional story telling. I felt the plot was well done and was told through visuals, rather than dialogue.

And the visuals... just a beautifully shot and edited film. Definitely worth the accolades, but yea, definitely not making a ton of money. It's for a very niche audience. But that audience will see it multiple times and buy the Blu Ray. This has "cult classic" written all over it.
    Lack of plot? More like a movie that never made sense from beginning to end. Not sure a lot could have saved it. Maybe I need to rewatch it, this is my kind of movie and it is easily one of the worst 3 movies I've ever seen. Might be because I was in a rough mood before the movie (frustration, lack of food, boredom).
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

I just got back from seeing this and I thought it was excellent. I don't always like balls-to-the-wall action, but when it's as well done as this, I can't help but appreciate it. I thought the cinematography and the choreography of the action sequences was mesmerizing. The movie managed to be both grotesque and beautiful at the same time. I think the plot was fairly besides the point, but if you're looking for a movie with much of a plot, you're bound to be disappointed. The plot was just an excuse for some car chases. If that's not your thing, this isn't the movie for you.

I also don't remember Mel Gibson's Mad Max being quite as lost to the world as Tom Hardy's but I guess that can be explained by the passage of time. Mad Max has gone from being Angry Mad to Borderline Insane Mad.