View Poll Results: What punishment should Tom Brady get?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • No penalty at all

7 12.73%
  • A fine, but no games missed

7 12.73%
  • A one or two game suspension

12 21.82%
  • A three to six game suspension

18 32.73%
  • A more than six game suspensiuon

11 20.00%
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233
    Let's not act as if Jacoby Brissett is any rooke. He is 24 years old. He did attend the best QB University in the NCAA
    * Philip Rivers
    * Russel Wilson
    * Mike Glennon
    * Jacoby Brisset

That said, in college there have always been schools whose QBs are discounted because they are considered "system QBs", you just plug the next halfway competent QB into the system and watch them rack up the numbers. Texas A&M under Leech. Any QB on any team which had Norm Chow as the OC/QB coach. Folks always discount that "system" at the NFL level, but I do wonder with a team like the Pats that seems to have the same level of success year after year regardless of which players come and go, there has to be something more there. My guess is they just know how to build a team and an organization that wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Fair enough.

And my original beef with the whole process is that, in the end, Brady got the same suspension for whatever happened with those footballs as Ben Rothielsburger got for rape. Since it is not a trial in a court of law but merely the NFL determining punishment and preponderance of evidence is the standard, there is enough to assume the worst of Rothielsburger (I refuse to check my spelling). At the end of the day, to the NFL, deflating footballs is an equal offense with rape... If Brady had gotten 3 games or Rothielsburger had gotten 5, I wouldn't be as upset
    Although I am a Steelers fan, I am not about to defend Roethlisberger's conduct. But FWIW Roethlisberger's original suspension was 6 games, which was reduced to 4 games after he expressed contrition to Goodell.

In that one-on-one meeting, which took place at Westchester County Airport, about 30 miles north of the NFL offices in Manhattan, Roethlisberger was contrite and real, a source with knowledge of the meeting told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio. Then Goodell informed Roethlisberger that the suspension would be reduced.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=5527564

Brady supposedly could have obtained a reduction to no more than 2 games but elected to fight it out.

The NFL offered to reduce New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady’s four-game Deflategate suspension by “at least 50 percent” before commissioner Roger Goodell upheld the penalty, reports ProFootballTalk.com’s Mike Florio.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/07/28/tom...-nfl-reduction

While "at the end of the day" both Roethlisberger and Brady both received 4 game suspensions, the initial suspensions were not the same and Brady's suspension apparently would have been reduced if he had copped a plea to what The New York Times reported this week was evidence supporting the conclusion there was tampering with the footballs.

The Deflategate Scientists Unlock Their Lab

The researchers whose work led to Tom Brady’s suspension have never spoken publicly. Now they’re eager to say they were right, no matter what Patriots fans believe.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/25/sp...ence.html?_r=0

I do not believe it is appropriate for Goodell to have such expansive authority to impose discipline. If that bothered Brady and the Pats so much they should have voted against the collective bargaining agreement in 2011 that gave Goodell that authority. As the Steelers did.

In summer 2011, when there was a rush to approve the newly negotiated collective bargaining agreement during training camps so the preseason games could take place, Steelers players took a stand.

The Steelers were the only one of the 32 teams to vote against the CBA. They felt the new deal continued to give NFL commissioner Roger Goodell too much leeway as judge, jury and executioner over the player conduct policy.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201507290155

Rooney and Mara are held up as standards of integrity, to which I say, wankers.

I know, I know, integrity on the field is SO different from integrity off the field. You know what I say to that? Wankers. I maintain that there can be no integrity on the field unless you already have it off the field. I will, however, agree to disagree with the folks around here who think otherwise.
    Hard to see why you are throwing rocks at the Rooneys.

Steelers president Art Rooney accompanied Roethlisberger on his trip to see Goodell... Goodell's ruling was made in consultation with Rooney and the Steelers, who were angered by the two-time Super Bowl winner's behavior and would have punished him if the league hadn't.

In contrast, ESPN ran a long story in 2015 that reviewed why the league dropped the hammer for Deflategate in part because the other NFL owners believed the Patriots, as an organization rather than as rogue individuals players, had been skirting the rules for years, specifically with regard to their videotaping practices (aka "Spygate").

Spygate to Deflategate: Inside what split the NFL and Patriots apart

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_...patriots-apart

When measured by their won-loss record and number of championships the New England Patriots unquestionably have a great history of success. So do the North Carolina Tar Heels.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    Although I am a Steelers fan, I am not about to defend Roethlisberger's conduct. But FWIW Roethlisberger's original suspension was 6 games, which was reduced to 4 games after he expressed contrition to Goodell.

In that one-on-one meeting, which took place at Westchester County Airport, about 30 miles north of the NFL offices in Manhattan, Roethlisberger was contrite and real, a source with knowledge of the meeting told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio. Then Goodell informed Roethlisberger that the suspension would be reduced.

Brady supposedly could have obtained a reduction to no more than 2 games but elected to fight it out.

The NFL offered to reduce New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady’s four-game Deflategate suspension by “at least 50 percent” before commissioner Roger Goodell upheld the penalty, reports ProFootballTalk.com’s Mike Florio.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/07/28/tom...-nfl-reduction

While "at the end of the day" both Roethlisberger and Brady both received 4 game suspensions, the initial suspensions were not the same and Brady's suspension apparently would have been reduced if he had copped a plea to what The New York Times reported this week was evidence supporting the conclusion there was tampering with the footballs.

The Deflategate Scientists Unlock Their Lab

The researchers whose work led to Tom Brady’s suspension have never spoken publicly. Now they’re eager to say they were right, no matter what Patriots fans believe.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/25/sp...ence.html?_r=0

I do not believe it is appropriate for Goodell to have such expansive authority to impose discipline. If that bothered Brady and the Pats so much they should have voted against the collective bargaining agreement in 2011 that gave Goodell that authority. As the Steelers did.

In summer 2011, when there was a rush to approve the newly negotiated collective bargaining agreement during training camps so the preseason games could take place, Steelers players took a stand.

The Steelers were the only one of the 32 teams to vote against the CBA. They felt the new deal continued to give NFL commissioner Roger Goodell too much leeway as judge, jury and executioner over the player conduct policy.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201507290155

Steelers president Art Rooney accompanied Roethlisberger on his trip to see Goodell... Goodell's ruling was made in consultation with Rooney and the Steelers, who were angered by the two-time Super Bowl winner's behavior and would have punished him if the league hadn't.

In contrast, ESPN ran a long story in 2015 that reviewed why the league dropped the hammer for Deflategate in part because the other NFL owners believed the Patriots, as an organization rather than as rogue individuals players, had been skirting the rules for years, specifically with regard to their videotaping practices (aka "Spygate").

Spygate to Deflategate: Inside what split the NFL and Patriots apart

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_...patriots-apart

When measured by their won-loss record and number of championships the New England Patriots unquestionably have a great history of success. So do the North Carolina Tar Heels.
    I understand the feeling that the commissioner shouldn't have such broad powers, but obviously the NFL has a PR problem regarding so many players getting in trouble with the law, and they made it worse by botching the Rice matter.

Obviously there is, and should be, a difference between misconduct in the community at large, and misconduct that endangers the integrity of the game itself, and that's why the comparisons between rape and deflating footballs are apples and oranges.

The worst conduct on the field or court, in my lifetime, was when Juan Marichal clubbed Johnny Roseboro on the head with his bat. He was suspended for EIGHT game days, which translated to ten actual games because of doubleheaders. That is a paltry suspension by any standard, and if I were the commissioner, I would have suspended him for at least an entire season, if not more.

And you can say, well, that was in 1965, and things would be different today. Perhaps, but in 2010 Johnny Cueto (then with Cincinnati) got only seven games for kicking Cardinals' catcher Jason LaRue, repeatedly, with his spikes. Absolutely disgusting behavior, and he got seven games, and it ended LaRue's career.

Mike Petraglia @Trags
    Source confirms torn right thumb ligament for Jacoby Brissett. Suffered injury in 2nd half Thursday. Faces likely surgery for stabilization.
    There is some NC State **** following folks around.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    There is some NC State **** following folks around.
    Like it matters who the Patriots play at quarterback ...

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Like it matters who the Patriots play at quarterback ...
    It matters to Brisset and NC state fans

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill

They continue to employ Rothielsburger.

It makes it worse when you tell me that Art Rooney accompanied him to his meeting with Goodell so that he could appear contrite. And of course, we only have Roger Goodell's word that he actually did appear contrite. I went looking for the quote about settling for "less than a game check" (which doesn't meet my definition of contrite) only to discover that quote was actually about the settlement for a second sexual assault accusation! I didn't even know that he'd been accused twice. No, nothing has been proven in court. But we're not in court. We're in the court of public opinion. I do realize that I am in the minority but holding up the Rooneys as a standard of integrity when they have Rothielsburger on their roster doesn't fly with me.
    Last edited by Bostondevil; 09-24-2016 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    It matters to Brisset and NC state fans
    The local news is reporting that surgery is not definite - at least not yet. We'll see. Well, I won't see, cause I don't watch football any more. But I do watch the local sports coverage and I sometimes see Patriots highlights. Like that run. Awesome run.

Quote Originally Posted by chris13 View Post
    Deflategate should have been an equipment fine, like applying stickum. The worse the Pats are going to be when a motivated, angry Brady returns is 3-1, and after watching them dismantle the Texans I'd bet on 4-0. The Texans scored 0 points with the prize free agent QB of the off-season, and the Patriots scored 27 with their 3rd string rookie QB. He may have a dour public persona, but Bill Belichick is the greatest coach I have ever seen, and I am not a Patriots fan.
    The first and last lines of this post are spot on. The ironic part of this whole thing is that the ridiculous 4 game suspension will actually help the Pats. They will complete the 4 games at either 4-0 or 3-1 and will have a healthy, well-rested, motivated Tom Brady ready to finish the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    They continue to employ Rothielsburger.

It makes it worse when you tell me that Art Rooney accompanied him to his meeting with Goodell so that he could appear contrite. And of course, we only have Roger Goodell's word that he actually did appear contrite. I went looking for the quote about settling for "less than a game check" (which doesn't meet my definition of contrite) only to discover that quote was actually about the settlement for a second sexual assault accusation! I didn't even know that he'd been accused twice. No, nothing has been proven in court. But we're not in court. We're in the court of public opinion. I do realize that I am in the minority but holding up the Rooneys as a standard of integrity when they have Rothielsburger on their roster doesn't fly with me.
    Questioning the integrity of anyone who has the authority to terminate from the roster anyone accused of sexual assault and declines to so for that reason brings into play famous individuals in big time sports other than the Rooneys who are held up as a standard of integrity and goes to issues far more serious than the subject of this thread.

But I appreciate your explanation regarding your views on the Rooneys.

A fitting last word

Now that "Deflategate" is over, I believe it fitting to give the last word to one of the greatest minds of our time:

“Stupid cheaters! You cheat, you flip out when people say you cheat, and everybody knows you’re nothing but a big bunch of cheaters!” Homer Simpson.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/the-simpson...071908817.html

Questioning the integrity of anyone who has the authority to terminate from the roster anyone accused of sexual assault and declines to so for that reason brings into play famous individuals in big time sports other than the Rooneys who are held up as a standard of integrity and goes to issues far more serious than the subject of this thread.

But I appreciate your explanation regarding your views on the Rooneys.
    And I take your point. It probably isn't fair to accuse the Rooneys of lacking integrity. I just hate the word as it has been used in this case, as though there is a difference in integrity on the field versus integrity off it. I can't with that argument anymore. So, I'll stop using the word if the Brady haters will too.

But I will continue to hope the Steelers lose every game until "Ben" no longer plays for them.